Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2020, 09:41   #1

Just Bought Formosa Sea tiger & questions

Hi all,

Been quite a few months since I last posted but I wanted to start off saying thank you to everyone who convinced me not to buy a flicka and to shop around and educate myself a good bit more, you were all quite correct.

2 days ago I became the new owner of a beautiful Formosa sea tiger 34

Before any dectractors (even if they're right again) chime in, I have closed and the deal is done. The bullet is already clamped between my teeth, as it were.

All the standing rigging was replaced ~2013 with aluminum spars, new shrouds and chainplates, etc etc all new and in very serviceable condition.

The engine is a penta md2b, maybe i'll upload the hilarious pics of my son and I building a "country crane" with hoist to get it out of my truck, as it was (and is) not in the boat pending replacement. It was running fine when removed, according to the previous owner. I have an electric … solution … pending installation that I will certainly go into in depth in a separate thread.

The teak slats were removed and the plywood … Sub-Deck? … replaced with fiberglass then the original teak slats re-installed. There is one spot where the adhesive applied beneath the teak has started to fail and the teak has popped up about an inch which then obviously compresses when stood on.

The cabin top needs to be completely redone, and the whole interior is … well it's not as bad as I expected water-damage wise. Fortunately I'm pretty sure I'm up to the task. About 1/3 of the interior woodwork has to be either sanded down and refinished, or replaced. Thankfully, the pretty carved bits Formosa's are known for were removed and put in storage before the cabin top failed, most of the damage is at or above about chest height or very near the cabin sole.

A brand new dacron genoa (and new furler), a fair-good condition dacron mainsail, and same condition dacron mizzen were included with the boat.

Now to the questions.

There appear (based exclusively on my fairly in-depth online research) to be two Formosa sea tigers, a 34 and a 41. the 41 is reportedly the same boat as a yankee clipper and sea wolf.

My boat measures just under 34' at the Waterline, and 41' on deck. The previous owner claims 9000lbs ballast, 28000lbs displacement. The ketch layout appears stock, as the mizzen step is very clearly the same "age and style" wood as the rest of the boat.

Sailboatdata . com states the sea tiger 34 was rigged as a sloop, and all of the above numbers do not match what I have personally observed (in terms of waterline/deck length) or what I have been told (ballast/displacement numbers). The title to the boat says "...tiger 34".

What the heck's going on here, did I just buy a sea tiger 41 that was mis-titled at some point? anyone have any clue?
Indefatiguable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 16:41   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Just Bought Formosa Sea tiger & questions

You clearly do not have a Sea Tiger 34......tape measures never lie. It’s very odd. Do you have a valid registration/title? Someone may have pulled a fast one.....
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 19:16   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

This seems to be a Sea Tiger 34:
https://sailboat.guide/sea-tiger-34

What you have does not seem to be the same. Both may be Sea Tigers, but the 34 and 41 are different boats.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:33   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

41 is 40.9 ft lod. you have a 41. waterline is not the length of boat.
now what questions do you have about these boats. yes sea tiger yankee clipper unnamed and the rest of the formosa 41s built in fbb(formosa boat builders) are same boat. what year model is yours
show me pictures.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:01   #5

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indefatiguable View Post
Hi all,

Been quite a few months since I last posted but I wanted to start off saying thank you to everyone who convinced me not to buy a flicka and to shop around and educate myself a good bit more, you were all quite correct.

2 days ago I became the new owner of a beautiful Formosa sea tiger 34

Before any dectractors (even if they're right again) chime in, I have closed and the deal is done. The bullet is already clamped between my teeth, as it were.

All the standing rigging was replaced ~2013 with aluminum spars, new shrouds and chainplates, etc etc all new and in very serviceable condition.

The engine is a penta md2b, maybe i'll upload the hilarious pics of my son and I building a "country crane" with hoist to get it out of my truck, as it was (and is) not in the boat pending replacement. It was running fine when removed, according to the previous owner. I have an electric … solution … pending installation that I will certainly go into in depth in a separate thread.

The teak slats were removed and the plywood … Sub-Deck? … replaced with fiberglass then the original teak slats re-installed. There is one spot where the adhesive applied beneath the teak has started to fail and the teak has popped up about an inch which then obviously compresses when stood on.

The cabin top needs to be completely redone, and the whole interior is … well it's not as bad as I expected water-damage wise. Fortunately I'm pretty sure I'm up to the task. About 1/3 of the interior woodwork has to be either sanded down and refinished, or replaced. Thankfully, the pretty carved bits Formosa's are known for were removed and put in storage before the cabin top failed, most of the damage is at or above about chest height or very near the cabin sole.

A brand new dacron genoa (and new furler), a fair-good condition dacron mainsail, and same condition dacron mizzen were included with the boat.

Now to the questions.

There appear (based exclusively on my fairly in-depth online research) to be two Formosa sea tigers, a 34 and a 41. the 41 is reportedly the same boat as a yankee clipper and sea wolf.

My boat measures just under 34' at the Waterline, and 41' on deck. The previous owner claims 9000lbs ballast, 28000lbs displacement. The ketch layout appears stock, as the mizzen step is very clearly the same "age and style" wood as the rest of the boat.

Sailboatdata . com states the sea tiger 34 was rigged as a sloop, and all of the above numbers do not match what I have personally observed (in terms of waterline/deck length) or what I have been told (ballast/displacement numbers). The title to the boat says "...tiger 34".

What the heck's going on here, did I just buy a sea tiger 41 that was mis-titled at some point? anyone have any clue?
34' seems a little short for a ketch rig (you did mention a mizzen). In addition, the 7 year old standing rigging is about due to be swapped out. If it measures 41' feet on deck then it's a 41 - boats are never measured by their waterline but that might explain where the erroneous labeling comes from. If you got a 41' at a 34' price then that should be a great deal price wise.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:15   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

From all information it does indeed sound like you have a 41' boat. If you bought it for a 34 and paid what a 34 might sell for then you might have gotten a huge bargain.

One recommendation, do not try to go to a boat yard or marina where charges are by the foot and try to tell them you have a 34'.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:44   #7

Love those old CT41/Sea Tiger/Sea Wolf's. I hope your cabin is sound. Yes that's a 40-41, (old school short waterline designs). I really like the interior in the notched cabin trunk version ... I think that is the Wolf?
Except on the later versions (CT built?) the cabins/decks/cockpits were poor plywood under thin glass on some, that may be a huge job, but it sounds like you are aware... have fun!

If the interior varnish is too far gone, consider sanding smooth and just painting bulkheads etc white. (if they are not already) Looks nice and a lot easier than trying to restore the wood finish, which will never likely match the bare spots with the undamaged spots.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:59   #8

Boat: Voyage 430

Congrats on your unexpected upgrade.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:07   #9

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
34' seems a little short for a ketch rig (you did mention a mizzen). .
Herreshoff felt 28 feet was just the right length for the H28

“If H-28's design is only slightly changed, the whole balance may be thrown out. If you equip her with deadeyes, build her with sawn frames, or fill her virgin bilge with ballast, the birds will no longer carol over her, nor will the odors arising from the cabin make poetry nor will you be
fortified against a world of warlords, politicians and fakers.”

Actually, our Formosa 30 is just about the right length for sailing to Catalina manned by two old pharts.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 14:55   #10

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Nice upgrade!
I noticed at penta md2b is to be installed, right?
Original engine was a 4 cly Perkins, I would bet it will do better with a 80 hp Perkins that a 20? hp Penta.
LEt us know how you're doing & where are you?

Capt Wayne
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 15:30   #11

When replacing that 23 hp engine I would install at a minimum a 60 hp engine with a 3 to 1 transmissions to go with a large diameter prop.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 15:45   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

formosa 41s want perkins 4 154 or 4 236. they fly with those...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 15:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo366 View Post
Nice upgrade!
I noticed at penta md2b is to be installed, right?
Original engine was a 4 cly Perkins, I would bet it will do better with a 80 hp Perkins that a 20? hp Penta.
LEt us know how you're doing & where are you?

Capt Wayne
Yeah, definitely not the right engine for that boat. I had an MD2B in my 30 footer.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formosa, sea tiger