Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2018, 08:34   #1

Boat: Dufour GL 360
Just bought a boat, need recommendations!

Hello all,

Quick question, so I just bought my first boat, a Dufour 360. I currently live in Dubai and will be traveling to France to pick her up and sail her to Italy, where she’ll be shipped to the UAE.

I’ve chartered for years, done a bunch of sailing, but never lived aboard or cruised anywhere. I plan on living on her and cruising the Persian Gulf.

My question is this, what should I be looking at getting in France or doing to the boat prior to having it shipped? I would love some recommendations. My fear is that the boat will arrive and I’ll want say…a Mantis or Rocna anchor, then find out it’s $1000 to have it shipped here. Or…a whisker pole….or a generator…

I imagine that in La Rochelle France, you would be able to find just about anything.

What are the things you would do to a bone-stock boat right from the beginning? I figure the most time I will spend out of the marina is a week or 2 at a time, so maybe solar panels…

Anything out there just a plain waste of money?
Ranger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 10:26   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Just bought a boat, need recommendations!

Think about the electrical system in general - alternator/regulator, batteries, solar panels, controllers and monitors. Start with an energy audit, how much power will you use and go from there. Next thing to consider would be the sail wardrobe since these would be costly to ship. And you mentioned ground tackle, have a look at what you have and want.
Old 24-10-2018, 17:09   #3

Boat: Ranger 29 tug, C&C 34/36

oil filters
fuel filters
water pump impellers
replacement belts for alternator and water pump
rebuild kits for bilge pumps etc
replacement alternator
replacement autopilot drive motor
replacement cam cleats same as already on the boat
winch grease
winch rebuild kits
replacement electric bilge pump
replacement bulbs for all navigation lights

That should be a good start. These are not expensive parts but hard to ship and import.
2savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 17:13   #4

Boat: Westsail 28

A guy I know bought a Dufour 38 last year , I haven't seen it nor have I talked to the guy but I have a friend who has . The guy had it commissioned and had to wait a year for it , when he took possession some systems did not work . The only thing I remember for sure is that the AP did not work and there were some electrical problems but the factory was right there and AFAIK everything was fixed . IMO a commission of that magnitude there is bound to be something wrong .
First we need to know what systems you have ordered with the boat . Like a refer a Ice maker ? What will your battery banks be like ? 2 weeks away from shore power is what we do too and our solar set up handles that easy but we have no refer let alone a ice maker . We have a 2 6v batts. that = 12 v. bank and a starter batt. a single 100w monocrystalline semi flexible panel and a MPPT controller plus a inverter . So for the panels , 4xs' that for you min . But really look who I'm talkin' to here , seriously a new Dofour from France , what does that cost ?
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 18:57   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

You don't say what comes with the boat, so we have to guess, and the lists are long. Does it have a VHF? Different areas of the world may use different channels - make sure your unit has the ones you'll need. You will likely need a license to operate it (The US is the only place I know that does not require one.) In the traffic-heavy Persian Gulf, AIS would be desirable. You haven't mentioned a GPS either. Do you need one with cockpit displays or do you plan to navigate from the chart table below? Life jackets? MOB equipment? Epirb? Liferaft? Ditch bag? Besides the anchor, what sort of ground tackle are you planning to use? All chain? You will need a windlass and may need snubbers. All rode? You may still want the windlass. Mixed chain/rode? - how much of each? Boathooks? Water hose? Dock lines? Bumpers? We sail in Maine, where pilings can make bumpers difficult to deploy. We carry fender-boards that we hang outboard of the bumpers so to pilings are not a problem. Finding six foot 2x6's for this in the UAE might not be easy, or cheap, if you need them. Tools? Towels? Bedding? Cookware? Dishes? Tableware? Oven gloves? Hot pads? Coat hangers? Sail ties? There's lots of stuff, and others will likely have more suggestions.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 08:29   #6

Thanks guys, exactly what I was looking for.

2savage, these are the things I think I am going to focus on. was thinking about making a trip to France so I'll start to collect that stuff. I'm sure sourcing it here will be way harder than in/around the factory.

Sorry for not delivering more detailed info, I see how that would help form an answer. Nothing too crazy on her, no ice maker and all winches are manual. She'll have a chart plotter (Axiom 7 in the cockpit), autopilot, AIS, windlass, GPS, VHF, and a refer; Air Conditioning will be added in Dubai. The battery bank is relatively small.

She'll come with the stock ground tackle...I think that's 50' of chain and a danforth anchor. I'll want to add some chain and another anchor, for sure. Was also considering a dingy and outboard as I'm sure there are better deals there than there are here.

Thanks again...
Old 26-10-2018, 09:16   #7

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Think about the tooling you need for all the electrical modifications, different sizes crimp connectors, crimper tool, heatshrink, ...
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 09:20   #8

Good call; I've got the tools covered, I was an aircraft mechanic in another life!
Old 26-10-2018, 22:11   #9

Go to the boat show that should be coming up in Europe, forget which Country. Contact Mantus Marine as they attend that show, you can get more gear from them than just anchors. Look at bridle, anchor pulpit, anchor swivels, essentially their whole ground tackle system. Since you ll be living aboard your best insurance will be your ground tackle! They also have a very cool scuba rig you may be interested in.

All the small items other posters mentioned as spares. Shipping and Customs taxes, charges make these items expensive. Congrats, enjoy your new boat at Palm Island.

Tags
boat, men