Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2006, 14:29   #1
cruiser

Boat: Searching for a Cape Dory 28 or 30
Send a message via AIM to kydivemaster Send a message via Yahoo to kydivemaster
Jump or Pass?

I found a cape dory 28 she is in rough shape but her systems are all there and she is not blistered up. She is however in need of a full clean-up and rework of the interior. The good news she is $500 which is a great price. But this is because she has sat in storage for 6 years and needs batts, sails, and running rigging, plus the basic run thru on everything else. If I wasn't so good with engines I would pass but I am in a bind. can I get some outside insight? I do have a place to store her for free and do all work inside during this time.

Keith
kydivemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2006, 14:37   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
A pair of Arguments

Argument 1: You'll make more money working at your day job and then be able to buy a Cape Dory that is in good shape.

Argument 2: You'll know all the systems and how they work but you'll have lots of hours in on the refit.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2006, 14:46   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Free storage makes a huge difference, but I'd say to take a VERY careful look at the structure. If a boat has been sitting for six years, it is not unusual to find water has gotten into the deck and chainplates and that there are structural issues. Check the deck, the area around the chainplates, any bulkhead tabbing associated with them or hidden below them. Check the flooring, often water has built up inside and rotted things out, including the entire electrical system.

An engine that was sitting for six years, even if mothballed before put away, may also need a *total* rebuilt.

Could be a bargain--but definitely needs some hours of careful inspection. Derelicts are often given away, simply because it would cost too much to have them HAULED away and disposed of at Hazmat landfill rates.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2006, 15:05   #4

Boat: fp athena 38 ..10 10
do you want to spend your time working on a boat or sailing?....jt
Old 18-12-2006, 15:20   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
This borders on the free boat no one can afford.

You'll need to make of a list of deal breakers. Those things too expensive to replace or fix. You'll soon spend a lot of cash and you may want to look at lower priced boats that are worth more than $500.

A full interior means all new plumbing, electrical, wood work, fridge, lights. Then the deck hardware, engine (and the attachments to it), sails, rigging. I would assume if you save a winch or two you'll be doing well. Just do a quick math on the total cost of these materials and you'll soon see some free boats are not worth it.

As noted above one or two serious structural problems and it might no longer be a boat. If you even think you need advice on if you should buy it then the answer would clearly be no. The little things you never think of will be at least another $5,000. if you plan to cruise you need lots of stuff that isn't attached to the boat too. Anchors and rodes add up fast.

I really think $20,000 would put you into the game on a boat that would cost less and be done far sooner. If you have not got that much in hand you'll never see the end of the tunnel on this one. I'd also look at a CD 30. Even if you don't need much you'll need to carry a lot of stuff.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2006, 16:01   #6
cruiser

Boat: Searching for a Cape Dory 28 or 30
Send a message via AIM to kydivemaster Send a message via Yahoo to kydivemaster
The most expensive item on the boat is the engine. I am alittle better then good with diesel. As i come from a family thats been in the scrap metal business for years and working on and keeping equipment running is a day to day. As for the rest of the boat. There are no soft spots in the decking. A moisture meter reads good most places. And for the ones that don't it's a matter of drilling some holes allowing it to dry a few weeks and then injecting thinned epoxy and then sealing it back up. As for the woodwork this is a deal breaker if the bulkhead is gone I am out. I know it seems small but I am not into woodwork in such a way.

Keith
kydivemaster is offline   Reply With Quote