Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2016, 07:02   #16

Boat: Sayer13, 13 meters hull
Re: Jon (or John) Sayer yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Thanks for that, BC. Sounds like a nice boat. Is she strip plank or foam, and did he build her himself? Probably so... I think he has built all his own personal racers.

Ours is not as racy in concept, and has a fairly luxurious fitout as well as all our worldly possessions aboard, but still sails quite well by cruising boat standards. Personal max of 15.7, without a kite. We, being old farts, only use our big masthead kite as a light air sail, so haven't done the really big numbers. Have done 200 mile days at sea, short handed and fully loaded... but it is a lot of work so not often achieved! There are a few photos in my profile...

I hope that you find a buyer who will appreciate her qualities!

Jim
Strip plank. Yeshe built it and raced it
Bcoianiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 00:36   #17

Boat: Sayer 12m racer/cruiser

Hi all,

I should probably chime in here, well late to the party.

I own 'Waywood', a Jon Sayer designed 12.2m tassie built pilothouse racer/cruiser. She was built in 2004 in the Huon Valley by Malcolm and Sally Oats to the very highest Tasmanian wooden boat building standards. The hull is triple diagonal celery top and dynal colan sheathed. 3.84m beam, 1.9 draft (2.5t steel fin w lead bulb ballast), 6.9t displacement. She currently resides in Middle Harbour. Next trip will likely be the Solomans.

The knowledge and experience of Jon Sayer is evident in the design of Waywood and her subsequent performance. Her hull shape, fin keel, lead bulb ballast and balanced spade rudder combine to make her fast and easily controlled. She was the last boat built by Malcolm, built for true bluewater cruising for himself and his wife. It's an extremely well built boat, light and fast, yet very strong, set up for typical Sayer style single-handing.

I recently sailed her to Lord Howe.. the conditions I had on this particular trip would've no doubt caused major havoc to most production boats.

He definitely designs fast hulls. I guess the rest is up to the specific builder. I am extremely happy with this boat and have no plans on passing her own anytime soon

Cheers,

Nic
waywoodnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 03:35   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Nic.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 15:37   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywoodnic View Post
Hi all,

I own 'Waywood', a Jon Sayer designed 12.2m tassie built pilothouse racer/cruiser. She was built in 2004 in the Huon Valley by Malcolm and Sally Oats to the very highest Tasmanian wooden boat building standards. The hull is triple diagonal celery top and dynal colan sheathed. 3.84m beam, 1.9 draft (2.5t steel fin w lead bulb ballast), 6.9t displacement. She currently resides in Middle Harbour. Next trip will likely be the Solomans.

The knowledge and experience of Jon Sayer is evident in the design of Waywood and her subsequent performance. Her hull shape, fin keel, lead bulb ballast and balanced spade rudder combine to make her fast and easily controlled. She was the last boat built by Malcolm, built for true bluewater cruising for himself and his wife. It's an extremely well built boat, light and fast, yet very strong, set up for typical Sayer style single-handing.

I recently sailed her to Lord Howe.. the conditions I had on this particular trip would've no doubt caused major havoc to most production boats.

He definitely designs fast hulls. I guess the rest is up to the specific builder. I am extremely happy with this boat and have no plans on passing her own anytime soon

Cheers,

Nic
Hi Nic, and welcome to CF.

We know Malcom and Sally well, have been aboard Waywood many times, and agree that she is well built and a good cruiser.

And I certainly agree that Jon designs quick boats, both racers and cruisers, and that they seem to make good sea boats despite their kinda racy parameters. We've now done nearly 60 K miles in Insatiable II and love her dearly!

We will be in the Pittwater for some weeks (or longer) dealing with medical issues. If you should venture down this way, get in touch and we can swap stories and Sayerisms. A PM could get us in direct contact.

Jim
Old 27-05-2018, 00:23   #20

Boat: Sayer 12m racer/cruiser

Hi Jim - I just pm'd you. Good to hear from you!
waywoodnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 00:48   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywoodnic View Post
Hi all,

Cheers,

Nic

Hi Nic

I brought a Sayer 37 last year, Schiehallion. Built in Brisbane at All Yacht Spars by Jon Smyth and Jon Sayer himself. Splashed in 2005 it was then sailed by the 2 Jons to Nz, Fiji, New Cal and back to Brisbane. This year I've sailed her solo from Brisbane up through the Solomons, round the top of PNG and now in Raja Ampat

Mine has the same 1.9m draft and keel/bulb weight as yours. She gets along very well in both heavy and light air and is a dream to sail. Slams a bit though going to wind/waves.

I'd be interested to see some pictures.

Vernon
dexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 17:28   #22

Boat: Sonata 7m

Love your boat and videos Vernon,great looking boat
Askeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 02:51   #23

Oh G’day. My dad bought this boat back in 2009. He passed last year and I was doing some research on it and came across this thread. It’s definitely a Sayer, but now needs a complete refit after dad had his way with it. I have a young family and just don’t have the time unforts. Sounds like it would be worth doing with the comments in this thread about sayers. If you google it, you’ll find it advertised for $40k but we’re open to reasonable offers. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1346EEF1-372F-434C-AF3E-D5EC2F082A67.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	343.9 KB
ID:	279819  
Mcroser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 15:41   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Mcroser,

You might want to post an ad for Epicurean in the Classified section of CF. Remember to include the asking price and location, and some photographs to show the condition, and where the boat can be seen.

Ann
JPA Cate, site team