Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2020, 10:41   #76

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Jib Sheet Clew Attachment Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
It's interesting to me the discussion of using stretchy sheets and halyards, and I don't mean this as a criticism. I can understand the idea of building some cushion into the system. I just have never considered it, and I still won't, because the consistent sail shape for the angle of attack and the wind speed is what what makes the difference between drive and drag. If conditions are too much for a given sail area then by far it is best to reduce the sail area. (which also beats out leaving the sail up and letting the sail start to luff a bit... but I am guilty of that one when I just don't feel like going up to change my hanked on sail) If the sail keeps changing shape in response to gusts then I can't see how the boat could maintain its speed and ability to point. On a mono-hull the benefits to rigging, fittings and sails come from the heeling of the boat that allows it to dump the load of wind and mediate strain, something that multihulls need to be more aware of I believe.

Also interesting the comment from Thinwater, about boats that sail better running and hard on the wind than they do on a reach. I've never sailed a boat like that. Which boats are those? An IOR design?

IOR designs from the late 80s are pretty good at a beat (heeled at 20-25* means that flat forefoot has a reasonable angle of attack). But because they have the tuck just ahead of the rudder stock (waterline length is measure there) and relatively narrow (pinched) sterns they are quite unstable downwind (squirrelly is a common term). But they can surf, where they gain quite a bit of directional stability squatting on top of the rudder (with big sails up, not so nice for cruising).

But reaching, they suffer from a big hull speed hump and a limit to the amount of sail that can be carried for more power due to relatively low stability (many had wooden shoes at the bottom of the keel and internal ballast in the (flat) bilge to decrease righting moment).

Generally narrower boats are better upwind and OK running, while wider boats are better reaching and running and not so good upwind.

Regarding multihulls, it depends on whether they have skinny hulls and light displacement or not. Those that do convert gust pressure to forward movement relatively quickly, so as long as the gust doesn’t capsize you it’s all good. Hence the reason that performance cats can carry smaller sails and still sail relatively fast. And why racing cats and anyone carrying too
much sail for the gusts (it should be reef for the gusts, rather than the monohull’s reef for the lulls) can be capsized by gusts.

For fatter/heavier cats, they have to be much more careful to be properly reefed, as the gust response just loads up the rig.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 11:11   #77

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
...Also interesting the comment from Thinwater, about boats that sail better running and hard on the wind than they do on a reach. I've never sailed a boat like that. Which boats are those? An IOR design?
No, not IOR designs.

Our best sailing, as far as speed through the water, is a close reach TWA 60-65deg.

Upwind we are very effective at 40-43 TWA but not as fast through the water.

We are very effective dead downwind in true winds over 14 knots.

But beam reaching or broad reaching, we don't hit the high speeds.

We do not like or use stretchy running rigging at all. Switched to kevlar in the early 90's, now use spectra or dyneema. Talk about lack of stretch, when we went to kevlar we started to break hardware.
Old 19-12-2020, 11:19   #78

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Ah, yes.

I'd like to know about the "Wings knot" too.

You can never know too many knots
I did a post with a phot and a video, I don't know what happened to it. Here it is again.

This knot is fast to tie and holds well and it the only knot permitted on our fenders after someone else tied something else and we lost two fenders which cost $174 each, here in Mexico. Now you have to be certified to tie fenders on our boat.

https://youtu.be/IBz6ArSg_9g (Video)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wings' knot.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	228926  
Old 19-12-2020, 11:32   #79
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

re. course, I've sailed trimarans that are much happier pinching a bit than footing once the waves get up. Speed increases, amas tend to plow through waves, and waves can pull amas under. Some thing reaching; they can be very happy going deep but roll horribly and want to broach if sailed too hot. Again, the problem is the lee bow burying. Thus, they are happier well-reefed and sailing high than footing. Off the wind, you will be happier going deep. Cruiser or racer.
Old 19-12-2020, 15:26   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I did a post with a phot and a video, I don't know what happened to it. Here it is again.

This knot is fast to tie and holds well and it the only knot permitted on our fenders after someone else tied something else and we lost two fenders which cost $174 each, here in Mexico. Now you have to be certified to tie fenders on our boat.
I don't let people tie fenders to lifelines

> can be tied with one hand ???

And it turns out the "Wings knot" is actually just a slipped clove hitch or slippery hitch.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 15:57   #81

Boat: a sailing boat

Roller. Two bowlines.
I like the butterfly solution and a soft shackle, but I do not like how the knot / sheet ages.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 21:52   #82

Boat: Sonata 7m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carroll View Post
RF, one continuous, clove hitch
Hi Michael
Thanks for the tip,have replaced ss shackle with your suggestion of a clove hitch on Sonata 7m ,love it Thanks
Askeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 23:15   #83

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

Double ended line, cow hitch. Sheets stay with each foresail.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 18:00   #84

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carroll View Post
RF, one continuous, clove hitch
Ditto
Old 28-12-2020, 18:14   #85

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

https://youtu.be/IBz6ArSg_9g (Video)
Looks like a slipped clove hitch.
Old 29-12-2020, 09:26   #86

Boat: Irwin 30 Citation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusK View Post
Looks like a slipped clove hitch.

Give Highwayman's hitch a try for boat fenders. Allows you to remove boat fender with one hand pull and walk away.

upstateny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 10:11   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateny View Post
Give Highwayman's hitch a try for boat fenders. Allows you to remove boat fender with one hand pull and walk away.

Cool! That's one I have not used. For such things, I will often slip the second half hitch, but this looks much better, and more fun.

I'm really mediocre with knots, unlike my mom who was very skilled at tying them. I'll try to remember this one.

Thanks.
Old 29-12-2020, 10:20   #88

Drifting off topic: A guy at the gas docks where I used to fill up often could properly secure a boat to a cleat (including the half turn to get the line laying right), in about half a second while standing. Flick, flick, done. Maybe if I practiced for a long time??
Old 29-12-2020, 10:41   #89

Boat: last boat: 2008 Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Andreas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
roller furling
2 sheets
attached with bowlines

why complicate life ?

cheers,