Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 16:23   #16

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Jersey to Florida Keys in January?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonny View Post
I'm more concerned with how long I'll be out and what to expect, than I am with getting home. The boat will actually be our home during the trip since our Morgan will likely get hauled when we leave.
See, now that's my concern. You missed the point, and that is you may find yourself in a situation you shouldn't be in and don't want to be in and there will be nothing you can do about it. Not a good position to be in just to get a boat from point A to point B. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 17:05   #17

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonny View Post
I'm not from florida at all. I grew up in Maryland on the water, and my wife grew up in Alaska. So as far as cold and wet is concerned, we're not as daunted as some might be.
Hope your boat has an enclosed heated cockpit and reliable cabin heat. You should think snowmobile suits, ski goggles, face masks, mittens, pak boots, etc. When it's 5 to 20F blowing 45k you will be in survival conditions. The deck will ice. Bring gumby suit and liferaft. Stay on a short tether. If you go MOB you're a dead man.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 18:04   #18

My wife and I took our boat down the ICW starting in early NOV on a particularly cold year. The year before we spent in Anchorage AK, and we took clothing on the ICW that would have kept us comfortable in Anchorage. We did not have heat ( except our cook stove) or hot water on the boat. We did not have a bimini much less an enclosed cockpit. I am glad we went, but I would not do it again on any schedule without being Much better prepared. There were several days that we did not motor because the weather was too nasty to be under way.
Good Luck and I hope you have fun.
decktapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 18:19   #19

It will be cold and miserable and so will you. The good this is that you will be on a boat, and in my case I am always happy being on a boat. Lets hope you can be happy and miserable at the same time.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:16   #20

Boat: '66 Morgan 24/25

It would seem the general consensus is that while the trip is doable that time of year, it can't be scheduled and will likely be more unpleasant than pleasant. Not to mention expensive as far as proper cold weather clothing/gear is concerned. The life threatening aspect gives me pause as well. I didn't move to the Keys to freeze to death... I believe I am going to decline the offer, or meet them halfway around Charleston.
Shonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:39   #21

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Shonny, IMO, a good decision. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:16   #22

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

You need to ask some questions about the boat. Does it have a dodger, a working autopilot, and a heater which works off the dock?? If the answer to all 3 is yes, it could be a great trip. Even without the heater, keeping the engine warm helps and the oven or an upside flowerpot on a propane stove burner will give you a place to warm up.

I think you have already figured out it will be a better trip if you plan for a month instead of 2 weeks.

One of the coldest nights I ever spent at see was between Charleston and St Augustine--25 degrees and 30 knots. I dressed like I do for racing off San Francisco in the summer--heavy polypro under foulies with boots, watchcap, and neoprene gloves, and was surprised at how warm I was--I think the water was a lot warmer than the air.

Now about the wife--if she's new to sailing, this may not be the best introduction unless she has a spirit of adventure.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:06   #23

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Lots of assumptions here that I'm not clear on.

If you're headed offshore all the way down two weeks is easy. Weather may be an issue.

If you are headed inshore weather is less of a concern but you'll be hard-pressed to make it in two weeks without an experienced delivery mentality.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:46   #24

Boat: '66 Morgan 24/25

Well...the boat does have all those things, I'm actually very familiar with his boat. And the wife is pretty much as you stated... Inexperienced and adventurous. As far as assumptions I am unclear the captains intended route, but only beacause I haven't asked him yet.
Shonny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, january, jersey, Keys