Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2011, 01:13   #16

Boat: O'Day 28
Re: Jerry Cans on Deck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Realistically, a few cans of fuel on deck won't disturb your righting moment or pitching moment all that much, but are not really a great idea for going to sea. In any serious weather you will wish they were not there, and perhaps they soon won't be!

But really, it would seem that without them you have fuel for at least 50+ hours of motoring... ain't that enough?? Cheers,
The 160# represents one person. It won't matter. But why not just sail there? Motoring 50 hours? Why? Despite rumors to the contrary, sometimes you have to sail to weather, gentleman or no.

Buck up.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 01:26   #17

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

I don't want to be sailing to weather with 160 # tied to the stanchions thanks....
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 03:41   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gary.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 03:45   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Another vote for lashing them to a board U-bolted to stanchions. I carried three on each side through a number of force 8 & 9 gales on offshore passages with never a problem. The weight isn't an issue for your boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TheBelleOfVirginia.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	26484  
Old 23-04-2011, 04:36   #20

Boat: Baba 35, Play Actor

If you expect serious heavy weather, don't put the jugs on deck. Green water will carry them and the boards and stanchions to which they are lashed right over the side, leaving you with holes in the dec happened to a friend ona passsage from Norfolk, VA to the Virgins a few years ago. 50 gallons on a 38 foot boat should give you a range under power of 300 - 500 miles, unless something is wrong, or you're running above the max fuel efficiency point.

Besides, they look ugly. Most people we've talked to carry them because they think they need them, but rarely use them. We made space for two full water jugs in a cockpit locker, for emergency use, and we carry two empty diesel jugs in a cockpit locker as well, so that we can ferry fuel in those places where it's necessary. I suppose we could lash them in there full, but we carry 60 gallons in the main tank and find that to be enouugh.

If you only venture out in relatively good conditions, lashing jugs on deck will work, if they are well secured. Taking off for weeks at sea with them there is a different matter. I agree with the folks who suggested that it's better to sail in bad weather than to run under power in bad weather. It's much more comgfortable and easier on the boat.
Play Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 04:43   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I fasren a board to the shrouds just above the toerail and then tied the jerry cans to the boards, on each side. I used four for fuel and two for water.
Worked great

Do you have a picture by any chance? Thak you
Old 23-04-2011, 07:59   #22

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Do you have a picture by any chance? Thak you
I have no pictures of a view of the jerry cans. and am nolonger on the boat. The boat was a Cabo Rico 38 with three inch toe-rails. My main reason for the jerry cans was to transport fuel and water to my boat as I didn't do marinas or fuel docks. That was a personnal choice, you may chose to do something diffeent.

This arrangement allowed me to pre-flitered with a Baha filter as I poured the fuel into the tanks and the amount of crud that the Baha filter caught was a concern as I'd need to clean its strainers yearly.

I carried the water cans empty as green stuff would grow in the water.

I've sailed in 25 ft seas and 50 knot blows with no problems related to the jerry cans.

Be sure to cut the boards so that less than two inches protrude forward of the shroud as this almost cost me my life, but that's another story.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 08:13   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Re: Jerry Cans on Deck

Hove to will dry your decks if it is not raining, and allow you to pour fuel in the deck fitting easily.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 09:31   #24

Boat: Sceptre 41

My boat came with a railing around the base of the mast. It is perfect for lashing Jerry jugs to. I lashed two five gallon and two 70 liter jugs to these railings. It worked out really well. I'll look for some pix

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 10:26   #25

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

If you have a keel stepped mast, why not bag them for the fumes and lash them to the mast below? Having to walk over them to get to the head will encourage you to transfer them to the tank quicker...and the weight there will be invisible as it is less than a man's weight standing right over the keel.

Me, I would rather have a diesel leak in the bilges where it could be pumped out (sorry, Mother Nature) or sopped up easier than I would like a slick of diesel down the sidedecks of my boat. That said, I have seen "granny bars" at the mast, along with the sort of three-point SS "dorade cages" one sees, used as on deck lashing points for diesel jerry cans. The disadvantage is that it puts the weight higher, but the advantage is that it puts it closer to the centerline and more over the keel, and in a spot less likely to get soaked and easier to keep an eye on, when it is near the base of the mast.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 10:37   #26

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Please explain why you're doing long distance offshore passages in a boat that is so unstable that four fuel jerry cans on the deck is going to affect the performance or safety of the boat.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 11:02   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Please explain why you're doing long distance offshore passages in a boat that is so unstable that four fuel jerry cans on the deck is going to affect the performance or safety of the boat.

I'll admit to having wondered the same thing. 160lbs is roughly the weight of an average wife or teenage son. I've never heard of a wife suntanning on the foredeck making a boat unstable? My worry would be more about the green water. The weight shouldn't be of any considerable concern.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 16:48   #28
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
I'll admit to having wondered the same thing. 160lbs is roughly the weight of an average wife or teenage son. I've never heard of a wife suntanning on the foredeck making a boat unstable? My worry would be more about the green water. The weight shouldn't be of any considerable concern.
If my wife reaches 160lbs, I am trading her in for 2 half her age. Then again she barely reaches 4'10"..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 16:56   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Jerry Cans on Deck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
Balance the placement of Jerry Cans on both sides leaving room to travel to the foredeck when needed.

When time to refuel, I use a typical outboard fuel hose with the squeeze ball, insert the hose into the JC, the other end well into the deck fill and squeeze the ball. Never spill a drop and safe in any sea condition.
Way to go.... saves a lotta cleaning up from spillage... and vote for midships as well..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 17:06   #30

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
When time to refuel, I use a typical outboard fuel hose with the squeeze ball, insert the hose into the JC, the other end well into the deck fill and squeeze the ball. Never spill a drop and safe in any sea condition.
Not a bad idea, but I use one of these. They're even cheaper and easier than your method.

Shop Samar Wonder Pump at Lowes.com

I'm sure other places sell them but at that price I have 2, one for fuel and one for water.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote