Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 08:58   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage 45 "On On"
Send a message via Yahoo to Jennybug
pirate Jennybug's Hunter 45 Passage

When me and my husband went to St. Thomas for our honeymoon we had no idea how much our lives would change. We instantly fell in love with the islands and beautiful water. We looked at property, thought about what type of jobs were available and quickly decided that working 2-3 jobs each was not something either of us wanted to do. On our second trip to the islands we visited Tortola and looked at some used Cats that were available, the ones I liked were huge (45 on up) with a price tag to match. After our 3rd trip, this time to St. Croix we decided it was time to take the boat idea off of the back burner and really start looking. Everyone said that we needed to look at all different makes and models before making a decision..so we did just that. I came to the conclusion that although I loved cats..the monohulls had the room I wanted. I figured if my new home was going to be a boat..then it needed to have plenty of head room and feel more like a home. Yes we still looked at some cats but my thoughts were on Mono's.

Several months ago my husband sent me a link to "On On" but apparently I didnt give it second though, then I came across the link and sent it to him. Great minds think alike!! "On On" had everything we both wanted and then some. The key points for me : centerline master queen bed, A/C, sugar scoop, Enclosure and plenty of room in the cockpit. My husband liked the low hours on the yanmar, single owner and all the bells & whistles. Most of the other boats we looked at were missing something from one of our lists...except for "On On". We hadnt planned on purchasing a boat until next year but we didnt want to pass on a good deal. At that point we were both on edge..do we? or don't we? Is this something we REALLY want to do? You know what was going through our minds. We decided to make an offer - sight unseen. Our friends and family couldnt believe we would buy a boat unseen..but we trusted our gutt feeling and went for it. Within a day of contacting the broker "On On" began her journey back to the states. Almost ALL of the negotiations were done by phone between us, the broker and owner. If you live in the Caribbean and need a broker I must suggest The Little Ship Company on St. Maarten. Tony took very good care of us and we never felt rushed or intimidated. We flew to FL after the boat arrived and sealed the deal. The day we arrived "On On" was surveyed and the test sail was on Sat. The rest of the paper work was completed over the phone and email...it was smooth going. Now we are the proud owners of a Hunter Passage 45.

We plan on learning to sail in the upcoming months and will take some sailing classes in Corpus Christi. Our home will be put on the market in January..we hope! When the home sells we can move aboard full time and work towards paying her off. The ultimate plan is to cruise the Caribbean and South America. No plans on circumnavigating at this time.

If the weather cooperates we will take our first sail (together) this Saturday.

Thanks for reading my novel..lol

Jennybug

Quote:
Jennifer - why not take a couple of minutes and update your profile. That part that reads "Boat: none" needs to be brought up to date!

In fact, if you can find the time, start a thread on the type and length of vessel you now own, letting everyone know why you selected her, and maybe a little about where you hope to cruise and when. We all feel like we went through the pins-and-needles delivery with you, waiting for a successful outcome, so we'd like to have all of the details.

TaoJones
Jennybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:51   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Congradulations on making the move. My fingers are crossed for you both. Hoping you will find what happens while cruising is pleasing to you both. Cruising is not always a slick magazine cover. Sometimes it's blood, sweat, and tears. If you can survive the BS&Ts. You will find the rewards of cruising make it all worth while hundreds of times over. BEST WISHES in all your wishes coming true. Just take it a step at a time..........i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imagine @ Stnl Cy.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	11039  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:27   #3

Boat: Lock Crowther Spindrift 40 - Cheshire
On On

Good on you for grabbing the dream with both hands.

Best wishes,
SusanneAmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:22   #4

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
WTG! Congrats, Jennybug! Hope to see ya'll soon! When does she get to come home?
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:56   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Thank you for the update and congratulations on grabbing the dream. You've worked hard for this reward and I truly hope you enjoy it to the fullest.
Kindest regards,
Old 11-11-2009, 13:03   #6

Boat: Catalina 350 mkII - PrairieGold
Congrats jennybug. This is my first year of boat ownership and my life is changed for the better. Enjoy. Phil
prairiephil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 13:06   #7

Good luck, hope you have fun!
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 13:26   #8

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Good thing you didn't ask about buying a boat sight unseen before you did it.

This group would have suggested Uh -uh, No way Jose, Don't do it, Your kidding right, etc etc.

Welcome to the "hole in the water" club.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 16:47   #9

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Just the first thought that popped into my head on reading your story, Jennybug: I'm insanely jealous!

Sounds like a great plan. Good luck and fair winds.

(Our move-aboard day may come eventually. For now, I'm happy planning our two-month cruise to the Exumas starting next February.)
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 17:20   #10

Boat: 45 Hunter Passage - On-On
We didnt exactely purchase sight unseen, we did make a contract sight unseen but subjet to our intial inspection and complete marine survey / sea trial. Which everything was as represented.
Malcolm ( jennybugs other half)
mholubec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 16:46   #11

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mholubec View Post
We didnt exactely purchase sight unseen, we did make a contract sight unseen but subjet to our intial inspection and complete marine survey / sea trial. Which everything was as represented.
Malcolm ( jennybugs other half)
Whew!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 20:28   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
I have to say...

These folks are parked right next to us in Corpus Christi (no, we will be in San Antonio this weekend). I'm laughing as I write this. Seriously. I thought they were crazy. They did REALLY well with this boat. It has more cool stuff in it than you can imagine, and they STOLE it. THEN they talked the seller into sailing it from St Martin to Texas to deliver it!
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 07:06   #13

Boat: Hunter Passage 45 "On On"
Send a message via Yahoo to Jennybug
Hey Bill
It might be a good thing you wont be in town this weekend...we are bringing the puppies for a visit. It might be a little loud on D dock
Jennybug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter