Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2012, 23:35   #1

Boat: Hanse 385
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 41DS

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has seen this boat yet? Or knows anything about it?
If so I'm wondering about it as a long range curser? I'd add in a water maker but I'm wondering about storage. Extra sails, fold up bikes, liftraft, etc. Is there anywhere on this boat for the larger items?

Regards,
Simon
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 00:11   #2

Boat: Hanse 385
Re: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 41DS

No one? I thought this was quite a popular boat? Maybe it's not out there yet.
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 01:01   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Simopn,

I have a Sun Fast 40.3. Looking at the diagram on the Jeanneau website, it looks similar to my boat. Whilst it has reasonable storage, larger items combined with the needs for storing for blue water, will be an issue. Liferaft goes up top or on a rail. Bikes? I just wouldn't bring them. Take up too much space and are generally not all that useful.

Of course it depends on how the interior is set up. If you get the owners cabin aft, it will fill the entire stern and leave yo with little storage space. If I were to buy this boat and intended to use it for extended cruising, I would get a half berth on the one side aft, and have the other side as storage (this is how my Sun fast is). That leaves a fairly large amount of storage space, while still having a double berth aft.

Monohull cruising means making a lot of decisions about what NOT to bring. If you (or your admiral) needs to carry along a lot of possessions, a multihull is a better choice.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 16:18   #4

Boat: Comet 41s

The Jeanneau 41DS has a beautiful interior but that king size aft cabin leaves little space for storage:

Sun Odyssey 41DS

If you need the space for bicycles or all the stuff a long range cruiser or a liveaboard needs to carry the Bavaria Vision 42 would be a better option. That one has a decent independent storage space:

Bavaria Yachtbau: Inside view
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 00:50   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS

Yesterday I inspected a 42DS 2 cab. Beautiful boat but for liveaboard I thought it was way to tight on storage! By the time you have tools, spares, provisions etc packed I could not see how we could manage ( unless we were willing to use the forecabbin as storage ). Assuming you want a guest cabin I think a 3 cab layout is better with one whole cab dedicated as a storage locker.
Thames 4 Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:34   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 41DS

We purchased a 41DS through Sunsail December of 2012, and sailed her in the BVIs for 3 weeks in January. She is fast for a charter boat, and easy to sail. There is enough storage for basic needs, but little room for anything like bikes, sail bags, etc.
We expect to live aboard after the charter contract expires; I expect I will rent a small storage space ashore, and either sail with the minimum, or use the forward cabin for storage.
Alec H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 15:54   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Perhaps your Jeanneau questions might be better answered in the Jeanneau Owner's forums, located at Home | Jeanneau Owners Network Forum
Old 30-03-2014, 09:22   #8

Boat: Jeanneau sun odissey 42DS

Dear all,
Sorry but I do not agree

I have a 42 DS 2 cabins, one big, big, big aft cabin very comfortable and the front cabin with 2 bathrooms. There is a lot of space to store suits and necessities for a long cruise.
There is a lot of space for storage also under the floor and under the sofa there are big rooms.
Moreover in the cockpit there are 2 quite big after peak and one huge. Moreover down to the gas cylinder location you can have some other space.
I have 2 bicycles in the big afterpeak and the liferaft is on top on a rail.
Moreover I have a zodiac mounted on the top of the boat and it does not create problems turning the head sail.

Thank you an I apologies for my English.
Spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 09:53   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we sail a jeanneau ds40 and have been out for over 6 years -- we don't have any dirt and only a few boxes at our kids house --

we have sailed most of the caribbean and crossed the atlantic last may - we have plenty of room (could always use more) but we do not have bikes as we do not think they are worth the hassel and not very usable in a lot of places -
we did add a watermaker and jeanneau left space for a 3rd water tank that we converted to a fuel tank - we do not have davits so we put the dink on the foredeck when we sail except for long sails when it is deflated and stored in the forward berth -
we did put a frame above our bimini and put on solar panels and our ais antenna and gps --
but over all i guess we could all use more room but we have sufficient -
our problem is finding the parts that are stored - we keep a spreadsheet and if we do not constantly keep it up we get to hurt the part down
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has seen this boat yet? Or knows anything about it?
If so I'm wondering about it as a long range curser? I'd add in a water maker but I'm wondering about storage. Extra sails, fold up bikes, liftraft, etc. Is there anywhere on this boat for the larger items?

Regards,
Simon
Where are you located Simon? We currently have one in stock to view. You are more than welcome to stop in and look through the boat. There is storage all throughout the vessel. I am located in NJ, about 10 miles north of Philadelphia. Also, I will have one at the upcoming Annapolis Spring Sailboat Show from April 25th through the 27th.
jnollet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:10   #11
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Heres a very nice review and walk through by Yachting Monthly:

I love this boat btw
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:33   #12

For a long range cruiser that boat is not very suitable since it has not enough storage. The king size rear cabin makes it impossible to have storage space there. I would suggest the Jeanneau 409 that has the same hull, more sail area and can be ordered in a two cabin version with a good storage space, one enough for long range cruising.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:40   #13
cruiser

The video made the point there was plenty of space everywhere.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:00   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
The video made the point there was plenty of space everywhere.
I have saw both boats. It all depends for what you want the boat. The storage I am talking about is not the one you want to have inside the boat but outside: Sails, Cables, extra jerrycans with fuel, the dinghy, the outboard, extra lines, extra anchor and so on. The 409 with two cabins has no comparison in what regards storage space and if you do long range cruising and live on a boat for a long time believe me, storage space is very important.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:03   #15
cruiser

Ok outside storage. Sad. I love that stern cabin.

Tags
jeanneau