Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2016, 00:52   #1

Jeanneau Espace 990 for Blue Water

Hi, this i my first post

I am looking to buy a Jeanneau Espace 990 but it's hard to find any information in regards to build quality. Would this boat be stable enough for water sailing">blue water sailing? Any advice is welcome.
sailingmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 01:03   #2

Re: Jeanneau Espace 990 for Blue Water

Hello Monk,
I've been cruising the Mediterranean for 10 years with her. 1987 built. Has been very tough. Never had a problem. We had broach one time with spinnaker, 2,5 m waves, 28 knot wind. All went well.
One time one of the genoa rail bolts (3 of them) was off their places when on load. The rail was broken on the fold.
We sailed every rough weather.
According to her length, she is the most comfortable in the world.
Altera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 04:53   #3

thanks Altera. Do you know the standing hight in the saloon and galley? Off for a good start on this topic
Old 16-10-2016, 05:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Jeanneau Espace 990 for Blue Water

Don't know if you've found this.. it may be helpful.. Jeanneau Espace 990 | Jeanneau Owners Network Forum

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 09:00   #5

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altera View Post
Hello Monk, I've been cruising the Mediterranean for 10 years with her. 1987 built. Has been very tough. Never had a problem. We had broach one time with spinnaker, 2,5 m waves, 28 knot wind. All went well. One time one of the genoa rail bolts (3 of them) was off their places when on load. The rail was broken on the fold. We sailed every rough weather. According to her length, she is the most comfortable in the world.
I'm not surprised as Jeanneau is used to build good offshore sailboats even in smaller sizes. What's your draft ? CB or fixed keel ? Also, cruising doesn't always mean Tropical islands & after 40 years between the Great Lakes & the Caribbean, I'm thinking of sailing back to British Columbia where I spent almost a year in 1980, to stuff myself with Fukushima-Radioactive-Salmons and inside steering is a real plus when you sail or motor the fjords of BC & Alaska. Only problem is the relative light displacement (5 metric tons) for long term cruising. Finally, I'm not crazy about is the head forward, but in such a small boat you have to compromise somewhere (Even the Espace 1100 has its head forward)... Cheers !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Espace_990.gif
Views:	443
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	132944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Espace_660_2.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	132945  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 11:20   #6

Espace 990 is a " categorie 2 ". In France, rated at safe to navigate at less than 200 miles from shelter.
Many a boat has gone further.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 13:45   #7

Dear Monk,
I am 178cm tall and I am very comfortable walking in the saloon and working in the galley. I only bend my neck when I am getting into the cabins at their ports only, but in cabins again I can stand freely.
Old 16-10-2016, 13:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
I'm not surprised as Jeanneau is used to build good offshore sailboats even in smaller sizes. What's your draft ? CB or fixed keel ? Also, cruising doesn't always mean Tropical islands & after 40 years between the Great Lakes & the Caribbean, I'm thinking of sailing back to British Columbia where I spent almost a year in 1980, to stuff myself with Fukushima-Radioactive-Salmons and inside steering is a real plus when you sail or motor the fjords of BC & Alaska. Only problem is the relative light displacement (5 metric tons) for long term cruising. Finally, I'm not crazy about is the head forward, but in such a small boat you have to compromise somewhere (Even the Espace 1100 has its head forward)... Cheers !
My draft is 110 lifting keel in, 210 cm when keel out. Self tacking and inside steering is very comfortable when you are inside the boat in rough weather. I have sailed on the triangle from İstanbul, Santorini to Israel, felt very safe, I experienced 60 knot wind one time and 5 m waves. The boat is heavy comparing to the Sail area, so very stable.
Old 16-10-2016, 15:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
Espace 990 is a " categorie 2 ". In France, rated at safe to navigate at less than 200 miles from shelter.
I wonder what it exactly is that makes this boat a categorie 2 boat.
Old 16-10-2016, 15:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altera View Post
Dear Monk,
I am 178cm tall and I am very comfortable walking in the saloon and working in the galley. I only bend my neck when I am getting into the cabins at their ports only, but in cabins again I can stand freely.
cheers, so I must be able to also stand there, I am 189cm (or is it just my positive thinking?)
Old 16-10-2016, 18:34   #11

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
As France is part of EU, don't they conform to the CE A-D ratings as well?

A-ocean
B-offshore
C-inshore
D-sheltered

is category 2 B?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 21:49   #12

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmonk View Post
I wonder what it exactly is that makes this boat a categorie 2 boat.
As Sailingmonk said.......
you can probably find any of the Jeanneau designs across all the categories. I believe you have to consider the build of the individual boat and also what equipment you carry board, and how well maintained the rigging is.... no?
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 06:06   #13

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Espace 990 is a " categorie 2 ". In France, rated at safe to navigate at less than 200 miles from shelter. Many a boat has gone further.
Once you're well prepared & you know what you're doing, coastal cruising is often far more dangerous than offshore. I've included a picture of 2 young Frenchmen who left a week earlier than we did from Gran Canaria to Martinique on a 26 footer. Because of the trades variations, they took 21 days while we took 30 in brand new C&N 31'. Of course, they were steering & flying their spinnaker during the day while we used traditional twin foresails (150 & 100) on two spinnaker poles & Aries self steering. For sailors, often the danger is the coast with its hidden rocks, braking waves, fishermen etc... not the long/high waves of the trade belt even with its occasional fronts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26Footer.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	133017  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmonk View Post
cheers, so I must be able to also stand there, I am 189cm (or is it just my positive thinking?)
I think the height of the ceiling will do, or you have trouble in every boat

Tags
espace 990, jeanneau, water