Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2021, 06:49   #76

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Jeanneau and Beneteau

A person who can afford a new boat, including sails and electronics and all the stuff he wants which didn't come with it will be able to justify it in his own mind, but a good used boat, at half the price or less, with upgrades which can be spaced out can be a good deal for many people. I could not have afforded my boat, as new, but buying used allowed us to get into the lifestyle and after 34 years I think we're still ahead, money wise.

Your estimates are exagerations, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
When looking at a used boat, it's important to remember that the hull and deck is only about 20% of the value. Those do last just about forever. But the other 80% of the boat has a remarkably short lifetime.

So when you buy a 10 year old used boat many parts are 50% or more of the way to the end of their life. You are about half way to a $20,000 engine replacement or rebuild. I think marine diesels will last longer than that and rebuilds might be half that. so you are 4 times too high.Your insurance company will probably insist on a $5000 standing rigging replacement every 10 years. generally new wires won't cost that much, and my rods look to be lasting at least 20, insurance is not requiredA new $5000 dinghy and outboard.my POS Zodiac is already 16 years old and still serviceable and won't cost $5000 to replace anyhow and the 15 hp Merc is 21 years old and still runs and sounds great. $10,000-$20,000 for new sails or the boat will sail terribly.Main, Jib, and Gennaker should cost way less than that.

If the tanks are metal they'll have to be replaced at 20 years. My metal tanks are way older than that, and two needed replacing due to corrosion, but not costlyAnd most people upgrade their electronics for $10k about every 10 years because the manufacturer has stopped making software upgrades and the new stuff is so much better - and incompatible with the old.My B&G Hercules and Lowrance/Horizon Icom gear is much older than that, most of it over 25 years, and is still excellent After 10 years the cushions and beds will have saggy foam, be stained, and be an outdated color your wife hates - $10K.Our complete uhpholstery job, including new foam, cost about $4500 The Plexiglass in the windows and hatches so scratched and hazy you can't see out of them - $5k Buying a sheet of acrylic, having it cut and a tube of 798 should cost you a few hundred dollars

And all this assumes the previous owner took good care of the boat. That he didn't run aground too often. The boat never got damaged in a hurricane or partly sank. Didn't let water get into the balsa deck core. He replaced the underwater zincs as needed, recaulked seams and greased seacocks.

That's why new boats - of any brand - are more expensive than a used boat.
Old 18-01-2021, 13:33   #77

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

The old salts at the marina say they aren't suited to "bluewater passages"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Loadsa rubbish..

Theory: Lots of stuff old salts at marinas say runs the risk of being rubbish, depending on the salt and the topic....
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 20:02   #78

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post

Theory: Lots of stuff old salts at marinas say runs the risk of being rubbish, depending on the salt and the topic....
Too many "old salts at the marina" are little more than armchair sailors these days who've been stationary at the marina for far too many years"
Old 19-01-2021, 03:53   #79
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Loadsa rubbish.. I have solo'd a Bene 321 from the Caribe to the UK nonstop and a few years later solo'd a Bene 351 from the Caribe via the Azores and Portugal to the UK..
No worries at all.. mind conditions were reasonably benign, worst were a couple of F8's and 6metre seas..
absolutely spot on Boaty, The "old salts" haven't a clue
Old 19-01-2021, 03:54   #80
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNBill View Post
Just a heads up, Beneteau has closed their US manufacturing plant. As of now they are parts and tech support only. I'd be a little concerned down the road if they decide to pull out of the US completely. However buying a used boat, well out of warantee shouldn't be much of a problem since most of the hardware is well known off the shelf stuff.

https://scnow.com/news/local/groupe-...to%2046%20feet.
A lot of people never liked the US produced Beneteaus , rating them inferior to the French ones . I think centralising production makes far more sense
Old 19-01-2021, 06:09   #81

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

For warranty and service you deal with the dealer and not the factory. Very few manufacturers make their boats in the US. The dealer network is key and Beneteau, in general, has a great network. My new Jeanneau arrives in San Diego today for commissioning. For some reason, Jeanneau has re-aligned several major US dealers. San Diego is now serviced out of Seattle (but uses the same guy that has always done San Diego). The Beneteau group also has a number of very helpful user groups.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 06:30   #82

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Zz is correct and dealing with the dealer rather than the factory can have benefits.

In our boat the microwave is plugged into an outlet which is installed in the top of a galley cabinet. That is, the plug plugs in going up (I used to have a picture showing that). A few months after we got the boat the outlet failed. No issue, the dealer replaced it. Early last year the new outlet failed. Oh, problem: The Beneteau factories and warehouses were shut down due to the pandemic. After nearly two months it still wasn't clear when the factory part would be available. The dealer sent one of his techs out with various marine electrical outlets. The guy found one that would fit and meet specs, then installed it.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 07:47   #83

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanosc View Post
Hey everyone so I am seeing a lot of these boats for sail and generally the price seems a lot lower than other boats for newer year models. Is there a specific reason for this? Something in the quality of the build? Cost to maintain? General ability in the ocean?

I am curious because it looks like there is a lot of good deal but I cant help but feel hesitant.
To answer the original question, there is nothing particularly wrong with Bennies and Jeanneaus, if there were, they wouldn't sell so many. The prices are a little lower because of supply and demand, there are so many of them on the market that the supply is high. That is especially true of the more popular models that were purchased in large numbers for charter fleets (such as the Beneteau 473). So that means that you can find a very good deal on some of them. The downside is that when it's time for you to sell the boat, it could take a long time and you won't make a killing on it.

Generally, the quality of the smaller brands tend to be a little better. But most of the major components, engine, winches, etc are made by the same companies across all brands.The styling and layout of Beneteau and Jeanneau also tend to be for as broad a consumer base as possible, generally the coastal cruising market, and may not be to your particular needs or personal taste.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 09:41   #84

You may want to have a look at this couples YouTube channel
Expedition Evans
They are rebuilding a Beneteau.
after looking at how lightly the Bennys are built I would run. but then I know what the open ocean is like and have been in 60ft seas and survived.
for the 90% of people who do not ever get out of sight of land they are fine.
ktbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 10:48   #85
Nearly an old salt

Jeanneau and Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbaker View Post
You may want to have a look at this couples YouTube channel

Expedition Evans

They are rebuilding a Beneteau.

after looking at how lightly the Bennys are built I would run. but then I know what the open ocean is like and have been in 60ft seas and survived.

for the 90% of people who do not ever get out of sight of land they are fine.

I took three such vessels through 60 foot seas no issue. What’s your point really. The boats are tough enough , certainly tougher then most skippers.

People need to stop this nonsense quite frankly it’s clear few have ever sailed any of these vessels far offshore or through storms. I have. It’s not nice no matter what boat you’re in. But these boats, competently sailed will take you anywhere a typical leisure wants to go including ROW or across major oceans.

Those that don’t listen to that sort of nonsense , are out their crossing large bodies of water in such boats.

These boats are “ fine” in the hands of competent sailors.
Old 19-01-2021, 10:51   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post

Lets hope they don't see this then:

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 11:01   #87
Nearly an old salt

They are out of sight of land on a AWB , they must all die ........
Old 19-01-2021, 11:06   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
They are out of sight of land on a AWB , they must all die ........
Did they not read CF You absolutely must have a 1960s designed long keeled yacht to go beyond the 3 mile limit even in daylight.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 09:06   #89

Boat: Marlow Hunter 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulk75 View Post
Firstly, I would expect that sailboats would sail.

Subsequently, as others have said they are popular boats because they make many of them. The real questions should be why do you want a boat? Followed up with: is that boat a good one for you?

Arguably if you make many boats that are not popular you will be out of business quickly.
chrismn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 09:35   #90

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismn View Post
Arguably if you make many boats that are not popular you will be out of business quickly.
And for anyone who coastal cruises in fair-to-moderate conditions or daysails in protected waters, Bennies and Jennies in the 30-40 foot range are excellent boats that make people smile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08449.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	230785  
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, jeanneau