Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2020, 07:27   #1

JeanneAmel

Dear all!

Since this is my first post I'll make a bit of introduction.
I've partially owned Jeanneau Sun Fast 32, which was chartered during summer and we raced it in other period. After that, I did quite a lot of around the cans racing, and also cruised Croatian coast from time to time.

I am very much attracted by cruising lifestyle and even thinking of becoming liveaboard.

I particularly like the idea of living on the catamaran, due to ample space and shallow draft. I would like to be able to cruise Carribbean for a while with coming back home to Med, or maybe part of year here, parth there. So, generally looking at warmer climates, with lot's of time outside in the cockpit.

Alternative would be relatively big monohull, but that is rare with ample living space outside. Most central cockpits have rather small cockpits.

I did see new Amel 50 and I like it very much but that is prohibitively expensive. Catamarans are not far from that either.

And then I got this idea.

Take Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 490, build a pilot house, add pilot seat, relocate engine controls, maybe even relocate a companionway a bit forward, extend the boom and convert to german main sheet, add main traveller, relocate rear winches a bit forward, add forestay with self-tacking jib.

One would have to cut out at least port aft cabin roof for that, but that doesn't look like a huge deal. Definitely not touching anything structural.
It would loose port aft cabin, but there is still plenty of space on that kind of boat.
And it can serve as much needed storage.

In around 5-6 years time there will be plenty of those coming from Med charter business, maybe even sooner, looking at how this virus crisis is affecting tourism here.
I can see previous model SO 49 for arund 100k EUR, 10-12 years old.
Splash another 20-30 k on top of that for all the above and adding some cruising necessities, and that's it.

I have seen Dufour 530 seems also suitable, bit more bigger and expensive though.
Basically it has to have forward or side galley, so that you don't have to relocate that.

Any other wide stern boats with forward or side galley?

What do you think? Just a crazy idea or ...?
etoimene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 07:46   #2

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu
Re: JeanneAmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoimene View Post
Dear all!

Since this is my first post I'll make a bit of introduction.
I've partially owned Jeanneau Sun Fast 32, which was chartered during summer and we raced it in other period. After that, I did quite a lot of around the cans racing, and also cruised Croatian coast from time to time.

I am very much attracted by cruising lifestyle and even thinking of becoming liveaboard.

I particularly like the idea of living on the catamaran, due to ample space and shallow draft. I would like to be able to cruise Carribbean for a while with coming back home to Med, or maybe part of year here, parth there. So, generally looking at warmer climates, with lot's of time outside in the cockpit.

Alternative would be relatively big monohull, but that is rare with ample living space outside. Most central cockpits have rather small cockpits.

I did see new Amel 50 and I like it very much but that is prohibitively expensive. Catamarans are not far from that either.

And then I got this idea.

Take Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 490, build a pilot house, add pilot seat, relocate engine controls, maybe even relocate a companionway a bit forward, extend the boom and convert to german main sheet, add main traveller, relocate rear winches a bit forward, add forestay with self-tacking jib.

One would have to cut out at least port aft cabin roof for that, but that doesn't look like a huge deal. Definitely not touching anything structural.
It would loose port aft cabin, but there is still plenty of space on that kind of boat.
And it can serve as much needed storage.

In around 5-6 years time there will be plenty of those coming from Med charter business, maybe even sooner, looking at how this virus crisis is affecting tourism here.
I can see previous model SO 49 for arund 100k EUR, 10-12 years old.
Splash another 20-30 k on top of that for all the above and adding some cruising necessities, and that's it.

I have seen Dufour 530 seems also suitable, bit more bigger and expensive though.
Basically it has to have forward or side galley, so that you don't have to relocate that.

Any other wide stern boats with forward or side galley?

What do you think? Just a crazy idea or ...?

Errr... Crazy.

You can't even come close to doing what you want to do for US$30k. Not only that, but you will be REDUCING the value of the boat when it is time to resell.

You have to accept that not only is no boat is perfect for everybody, but no boat is perfect for anybody. ALL boats are compromises. You find the collection of compromises that are best for you.

A Jeanneau is not and never will be an Amel. You can't buy a Chrysler, put a new grill on the front and pretend it is a Rolls-Royce. Well, I guess you can pretend...

If your budget is around $120k you would be much better served by reducing your expectations and getting a MUCH better boat in the 40-43 foot range instead of targeting something around 50 feet.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 07:54   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

If you want the forward helm controls possibly look at a Bene 57. They came in the helm either position (forward or aft). No hard top, but many extended the windshield into the bimini for a decent dodger.

We like our hardtop w/glass windshield we made for our boat and it keeps us out of the sun/weather. The smoked color glass on the Amel 50/55/64 is nice for daytime use, but always thought it may be a bit too dark for good forward night vision.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 08:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
You can't even come close to doing what you want to do for US$30k. Not only that, but you will be REDUCING the value of the boat when it is time to resell.
OK, I must admit I dropped the figure out of blue. I figured it could be enough for what I wrote but not Amel style.
I did not go though detailed cruising accessories budget, so ...

Reducing the value came to my mind, but with 10 years of age value of a such charter boat is already quite reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post

A Jeanneau is not and never will be an Amel.
Oooh, that is undisputable.
But even the Chrysler gets you A to B. Drastically reduced comfort, though.

Maybe I should not have mentioned Amel. I am not trying to achieve that level.

I am fully aware what Amel is but can't afford that.
Old 18-04-2020, 08:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
look at a Bene 57.
Thanks for suggestion. Ok, it has rather large cockpit, but compared to the boat size ... or any 40 foot catamaran ... and price for 10 year old ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
We like our hardtop w/glass windshield we made for our boat and it keeps us out of the sun/weather.
That was my idea, exactly.
Old 18-04-2020, 08:16   #6

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Why go through the trouble of relocating all of the helm controls and steering just to have the wheel behind the hard dodger? 95% of the time you're going to be using autopilot anyways, why not just leave the helms alone and build a nice fiberglass hard dodger on the Jeanneau and call it a day. You would still have a nice protected hard dodger and could control the autopilot from behind the glass. Seems like a royal pain in the ass to try and re-route steering and engine controls to the bulkhead of a Jeanneau's companionway.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 08:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
why not just leave the helms alone and build a nice fiberglass hard dodger on the Jeanneau and call it a day.
Very reasonable question. I think I was drooling over this new Amel too much.

I had in mind increasing the cockpit size, since most of the time I would just float somewhere at anchor.
Is it worth the hassle, that's another story.
Old 18-04-2020, 08:27   #8

Engine controls would probably be easy, since engine is just below.
Steering, not so much. I did have in mind some spectra line with pulleys I have seen, but didn't think much about routing it.

Maybe it would go through aft port cabin.

Bigger problem would be sail control lines, I think. And winch placement.
Old 18-04-2020, 08:28   #9

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Why go through the trouble of relocating all of the helm controls and steering just to have the wheel behind the hard dodger? 95% of the time you're going to be using autopilot anyways, why not just leave the helms alone and build a nice fiberglass hard dodger on the Jeanneau and call it a day. You would still have a nice protected hard dodger and could control the autopilot from behind the glass. Seems like a royal pain in the ass to try and re-route steering and engine controls to the bulkhead of a Jeanneau's companionway.

Agree would purchase a boat that was set up already. Personally I like the helm forward for better vision, a nice instrument cluster and cleaner seating in the cockpit. We looked at both the Amel 55/Bene 57 with these set ups, but then it was a no go due to some of the build considerations of each.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 07:28   #10

Boat: soon a Moody DS 54...

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoimene View Post
OK, I must admit I dropped the figure out of blue. I figured it could be enough for what I wrote but not Amel style.
I did not go though detailed cruising accessories budget, so ...

Reducing the value came to my mind, but with 10 years of age value of a such charter boat is already quite reduced.

Oooh, that is undisputable.
But even the Chrysler gets you A to B. Drastically reduced comfort, though.

Maybe I should not have mentioned Amel. I am not trying to achieve that level.

I am fully aware what Amel is but can't afford that.
Take a look on the Moody DS45 or the new Moody DS40, they have big cockpits and Deck Saloon, and cheaper than Amels
BigNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 07:38   #11

Quote:

My thoughts exactly
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 07:43   #12

Let’s start by getting A boat. Then you can figure out the mods you want/need.

Trying to come up with reasons without even sailing the boat is a waste of energy at best.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 08:10   #13

If you get the wrong one, you might not be able to modify it.

Moody 45 DS is not a bad proposal. Not even that much more expensive. Thanks!
Old 19-04-2020, 09:57   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, etoimene.

If not a crazy idea, certainly ambitious.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote