Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 12:52   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Jacklines

Has anyone out there ever reentered their boat after falling overboard while under way? Or jumped in on purpose and reentered?

I'm a solo sailor, and it has always been a concern........my boat is hard enough to reenter even when it is not moving.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:07   #2

Re: Jacklines

Only jumped in a few times for Lifesling training.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:15   #3

Boat: Irwin 40

Have a ladder that can be deployed by a person in the water as well. i always recommned this even when the boat is at the dock. It is surprising how many drown at the dock because they fall in and cannot climb up on the dock. If you do manage to pull yourself to the boat underway you will likely be too exhausted to pull yourself aboard without a ladder. When I sailed a little 25 Constest solo i would tie my harness to the end of the main sheet. If i fell in it would pull the main sheet tight in and cause the boat to round up and stall. not sure that would work on a bigger boat and I never did test that setup. Jacklimes are really to keep you on the boat in the first place and should be close to center and use a short tag line so if you fall you do not go over the side.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:26   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

I could not do it now , maybe 30 years ago- But I don’t have to,on my Cat- My jack lines are set up down the center so it’s not possible to go overboard
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:58   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm never done or tried it!

I pretty much consider falling overboard while solo as a death sentence (and high odds even if my wife is on the boat). My boat is easy to board from aft IF the dinghy isn't there. So maybe if I trailed some lines and stored the dinghy on deck I would have a chance.

Nothing beats staying on the boat when it is moving!
Old 02-01-2013, 14:12   #6
cruiser

I found this video a few months ago. If tethered to your vessel, this fellow demonstrates a new product that allows you to re-board at the stern. Looks like a nylon strap ladder being dragged off the stern quarter, long enough to get your feet in the hoops, but not too long to get tangled in your prop or tiller.

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 15:06   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

The Idea is NOT to go overboard !! Keep your tethers SHORT no matter how many times ya need to change off to maintain the shortness ya need to stay aboard! I use 2 short tethers on my gear! and switch them as often as ya need to !! just a thought
Old 02-01-2013, 15:15   #8

If I were worried about it singlehanding, I would have a good ladder on the stern that goes near the waterline and drag a small float on Polypropelyne line astern to grab as it goes by you.

Old 02-01-2013, 15:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
The Idea is NOT to go overboard !! Keep your tethers SHORT no matter how many times ya need to change off to maintain the shortness ya need to stay aboard! I use 2 short tethers on my gear! and switch them as often as ya need to !! just a thought
Yeah, I get the idea is not to go overboard which is why I don't use a jackline at this time, but the water temp here is about 48 degrees and I would hate to be in it for too long.

Me and another guy race periodically and we are sometimes very far apart and I have to go forward to setup for wing and wing with the boat on autopilot..................it gets you to thinking.
Old 02-01-2013, 15:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I found this video a few months ago. If tethered to your vessel, this fellow demonstrates a new product that allows you to re-board at the stern. Looks like a nylon strap ladder being dragged off the stern quarter, long enough to get your feet in the hoops, but not too long to get tangled in your prop or tiller.

Looks like a great way to get your foot "stuck in the stirrup" and be dragged backwards for days to me! That video shows just how fast you can get way behind the boat though!

Old 02-01-2013, 15:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If I were worried about it singlehanding, I would have a good ladder on the stern that goes near the waterline and drag a small float on Polypropelyne line astern to grab as it goes by you.
Fortunately or unfortunately, I have an outboard on a bracket on the stern (I don't like the look of an outboard on a sailboat) so if worse comes to worse the outboard is either going to be deep sixed or I'll be climbing it like a ladder...........but the bracket may not hold me and the motor.
Old 02-01-2013, 15:25   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I use the self steering vane to get back on the boat. Step on the top of the rudder and pull myself aboard. Jumped in to clean the prop forgetting I'd pulled the rudder off the vane to bottom paint it. Swam around the stern trying to figure out a way to get back on board but didn't have the strength to pull myself out of the water. Was a little perplexed but then it came to me I was in the marina and there had to be a boat with a swim step somewhere. Swam down about 4-5 boats before I found one. Unfortunately, at 68, getting back on the boat isn't as easy as it used to be.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 15:29   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Our boat is very easy to re-enter. I think this is because our topsides are low. Also, there is the bowsprit and a frame aft (the frame supports the windvane and protects the rudder. So, for us, re-entering is a piece of cake and we do so often when swimming about the boat.

Underway, I think, the boat's speed is the limiting factor:

- if you go slow, you may either catch up by swimming to the boat or else by hauling yourself up the tether line,

- if you go fast, you are busted, most swimmers can't catch up with a boat sailing at above 2 knots,

Whether sailing or stationary, you fitness (or lack of thereof) will play a major role: great many people cannot climb any boat, stationary, unless there is a device that helps them (say a ladder of sorts).

I think, if you sail alone, you can rig your windpilot so that if you end up overboard the pilot will disengage and then you just swim to the boat and re-enter.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 16:18   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Sailing in Newfoundland if I go over I'm dead. Period.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 16:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think, if you sail alone, you can rig your windpilot so that if you end up overboard the pilot will disengage and then you just swim to the boat and re-enter.

b.
This may be the answer I was looking for. Have a line or 2 tied to your tiller (and/or tiller autopilot in my case) hanging over your stern in such a way that you can discontinue the autopilot's control and bring the boat to weather so you can get aboard somewhat easier.

Tags
Jacklines