Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2021, 12:59   #1

Boat: Looking
J40, have questions

Hi all, I have searched all I can and have found out a ton about these boats. We’re a husband and wife with a 5 year old. Did the ASA school up to ASA104 a few years ago, have been sailing around on our friends Wauquiez Amphitrite a ton the last few years, but they are moving aboard and we would like to get into our own boat. I’m looking at making an offer on a J40, contingent on $$ and survey. Went and looked at it yesterday, liked what I saw, she will need running rigging, can do that myself. Rudder bearings replaced in 2013, which is one of the common problems I have read about, one port light leaks a bit, according to owner, who is a live aboard. New standing rigging 2005-2006, decent sail inventory. Has been sailed 10 times since 2015, westerbeke engine, 1600 hours, No water stains that we could find anywhere inside. I’m wondering if there is anything else that we as buyers should be aware of, specific to the J40. Seem like they are well regarded boats, speedy enough, decent in light wind, not bad to shorthand, seems like just what we are looking for, just looking for Any firsthand experience with them. Thanks in advance!!,

One other boat we have looked at it a First 42, similar price, but the J Boat seems like it fits what we are looking for a bit better
PNW-LSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 14:59   #2

Boat: Cooper 416
Re: J40, have questions

Search “J/40 gryphon” on the ‘net to find a ton of articles on a circumnavigation on this boat.
Old 19-06-2021, 15:12   #3

I have! Everything I have read is what lead us to this boat, I just want to make sure I’m not making a decision based more on emotion than common sense lol! I tend to look at things through rose colored glasses, sometimes I need a dose of reality, my wife in this case is in love with it, so it’s my turn to be the brakes, if need be
Old 19-06-2021, 16:15   #4

Boat: Cooper 416

Jeff & Raine still own Gryphon years after completing their circumnavigation which tells you their opinion. Obviously YMMV.
Old 19-06-2021, 21:01   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

There is a pretty active J4x at googlegroups.
Wet core should be on your list. Not necessarily a deal breaker.
Old 20-06-2021, 14:58   #6

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I worked at TPI so I’m very familiar with J boats. Please check carefully for water in the core near the chainplates. Absolutely sure the top rudder bearing is perfect? Keel / hull joint and inside ...carefully examined?
It’s a light boat so watch your weather. Circumnavigation does not impress me.
You should tap this boat out inch by inch. You do not want water in the core.
There is a lot written about J 40 boats on line so take your time looking her over.
Again, it’s a light boat. Sail accordingly... Please post your safety gear as there is a lot of experienced sailors who can give you a great review. Pretty knowledgeable group on where to sail and what to expect on the way.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 17:00   #7

Thank you guy, I made an offer based on survey and sea trial. I will keep you all updated, thanks for the replies, I’m trying to be rational about this, but am excited as well. Hopefully our offer is accepted and we can move to the next step
Old 21-06-2021, 21:15   #8

The J/40 has a displacement of 18,000 lbs and has a D/L of 204 - by today's standard it's on the heavy side and not what I'd call a light boat. J Boats thought highly enough of it that they created a cruising version of it - adding a bit to the stern and calling it the J/42.
slap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 21:27   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Balsa core hull ... educate yourself. Start here ...
Moisture Meter Mythology and Flir thermal imager
Old 22-06-2021, 19:48   #10

Boat: Sabre 402

J/42's that we looked at recently had problems with their cabin soles getting wet because the bilges are so shallow. Owners had replaced them, or they needed replacing because of delamination of the plywood and/or rot. The J/40 is essentially the same design without the lazarette of the J/42, so check the cabin soles.
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:19   #11

Update on this, survey was yesterday. Wasn’t surprised to find some moisture in the deck, around chainplates and midship cleats, pretty isolated to that, and a few owner added things that were screwed to the deck. The big surprise was blisters, there was a lot of blisters. 200-300, biggest one about 2”, most about 1/2 that size and smaller. The boat was in salt water it’s whole life, up until about 5 years ago, was blister free in 2013, and was hauled after about 6 months in fresh water, saw pics from that haul out, had about 5 blisters per side. So in the last 4 years being a live aboard on a relatively warm lake, hundreds of blisters have appeared. We plan on moving it to salt water again. Surveyor said the boat is structurally sound, and in average to a bit above average condition. Curious if anyone else has seen anything like this?