Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2010, 10:42   #1

J 35

I been thinking on getting a J35 to cruiser in the caribbean since I am from Puerto Rico. I plan to sail it with my girlfriend thats almost single handed.I am looking for a fast cheap cruiser. I am a little worried,because I think this boat might be a little to sporty for a single handed. Does anyone have any suggestion? does anyone know if their is one for sale in the caribbean?
Ricar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 15:46   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
I had a J/32, the little sister to the J/35. Particularly if you have the deep keel, it is a very nice sailing boat, going to weather better than anything I have ever owned.

It does have a lot of sail area, a SA/Disp of about 21. So you have to reef early and have the ability to reef deep for offshore use. Install a third reef if necessary or if you are going to buy a new mainsail, put in two very deep reefs.

The boat is well built and will do fine for an offshore sailing boat.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 18:21   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
one good way to lose a non-sailing girlfriend is to take her cruising on a boat with a high sail area/displacement ratio. The J35 is a great boat, but it was designed to perform with a couple tons of crew on the rail. I've found that it sails particularly well, at least compared with other sloops, sailing under mainsail alone. But otherwise, it's not a design that lends itself to singlehanding.
Old 21-08-2010, 18:27   #4

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
But of course the J35 has competed successfully in a lot of single- and double- handed races, even including things like the OSTAR. Actually a great shorthanded boat for its time, with more crew useful for around the buoy races.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 09:29   #5

j35

Thanks for the info. I really like this layout. I think that is a good option for the price. I saw one down in PR that was set up for cruising and it was very nice. I hope I can find one for sale near my island.

thanks to all of you for your help
Ricar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 09:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I had a J/32, the little sister to the J/35. Particularly if you have the deep keel, it is a very nice sailing boat, going to weather better than anything I have ever owned.

It does have a lot of sail area, a SA/Disp of about 21. So you have to reef early and have the ability to reef deep for offshore use. Install a third reef if necessary or if you are going to buy a new mainsail, put in two very deep reefs.

The boat is well built and will do fine for an offshore sailing boat.

David
Having never even sailed on either boat, I am not completely sure about this, but I think the J32 is not really the little sister of the J35. The J35 is very much toward the racer end of the racer/cruiser spectrum, while the J32 was designed as a cruiser for a couple or solo.

I think this is a J-Boats site, calling it "The J/32 is a current production cruising J."

J/32

on edit: a glance at boats for sale shows that the J32 is a much more expensive boat ($100K plus) vs. the J35 which typically can be found for under $50k. I'm sure some the price difference is explained by lots of comfort that's built into the J32 vs, the more stripped-down J35. And some is also explained by the hard racing life the typical J35 has endured.

To further complicate things, there is also the "J35C" which is apparently a J35 hull modified to be more of a cruising boat. It had a relatively short production run.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote