Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 19:48   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: It's our first sailboat

The first part, just getting in and out of your slip safely, remember there is no such thing as going too slowly. If you are going as fast as you can walk, that is too fast. Once you get comfortable motoring around then you can work on the sailing part. In the mean time you should both get Lasers to learn to sail on and practice by racing each other!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 19:52   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
The first part, just getting in and out of your slip safely, remember there is no such thing as going too slowly. If you are going as fast as you can walk, that is too fast. Once you get comfortable motoring around then you can work on the sailing part. In the mean time you should both get Lasers to learn to sail on and practice by racing each other!
:thumbup:

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 20:48   #18

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgodd View Post
Nope its all new to us

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Alright, there is so much for you to learn that you will be amazed. Unless you can take an offshore sailing course in boats like yours, start very slowly.

Buy a copy of Sailing for Dummies, and Fast Track to Sailing(Fast Track to Sailing: Learn to Sail in Three Days: Steve Colgate, Doris Colgate: 9780071615198: Amazon.com: Books).

Both Books are very good. You will also benefit by THE SAIL TRIM USERS GUIDE
by DON GUILLETTE and JONIE CRAIG(but you can only get it from [Books/Games]]Books/Games

Start slowly. Motor around until you feel comfortable moving from place to place in the boat, and maneuvering her. Then motor with the main sail reefed. Gradually get use to the boat's handling by starting with the roller jib reefed and the mainsail reefed and work you way up from light wind to stronger.

Try to go out with a more experienced sailor. Go to forums online that include your boat, and ask a lot of questions.

Take the Coast Guard Auxiliary course in boat safety, so you know the basics of boating. It will blow your mind about things that never occurred to you.

Sailing can be fun, but never forget that this is an environment that you have to understand as potentially dangerous.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:11   #19

Boat: Catalina 30

Welcome to Boat Ownership! My wife and I just sold my old 1984 O'Day 23 and we got a 1985 Catalina 30.

I second taking classes. Especially if neither of you has sailed before. See if there is an ASA certified school nearby. Besides, insurance (I recommend BoatUS) is cheaper if you've taken a class. The school near me also offers classes in marine electronics, diesel and gas engine maintenance, marine meteorology, etc.

If you're handy and into DIY, join the Gold Club at West Marine (or whichever store you use), it can pay for itself many times over if you do any projects.

The Catalina34 web site has some valuable information, read it sooner than later.

From experience I also second the idea of going through every nook and cranny on your boat. You would not believe the stuff I found in the oddest places...

Your profile does not state where you are located. You may be near some of the folks on this forum.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:17   #20

Smile Re: It's our first sailboat

Jeepgodd,

I used to have a couple of different Jeeps loved them would get one again if I didn't have a 25mi/35min commute.

Where are located? This will probably get you responses in terms of seasons and what to do.

If you in the Tampa Bay area I can help.
mholtzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:34   #21

Boat: Cheoy Lee 41

What really helped us when we bought our first boat, a Catalina 27, was to join a local sailing club. This gave us a great network of cruisers, races we could attend, and weekend cruises. We were apprehensive at first doing a 15 mile cruise to another port across Puget Sound and got hooked up with a buddy boat for the trip. It was awesome meeting new people and traveling to fun places.
n8kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:17   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Congrats! Where are you located? FYI if you go to your user profile > About Me you can set a location for others to see. That could help give more specific advice since different regions have really different sailing (lakes vs rivers vs ocean, etc).
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:18   #23

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

cleaning it all out and organizing what you can is a great way to get acquainted with a boat.

There's this fantastic book called KNOW YOUR BOAT by David Kroenke. It takes the mystery out of boat systems and can help you really get a feel for your gal. It can help you build confidence in yourself and in her.

I so admire people who JUST DO IT! Enjoy! Enjoy, Enjoy!!!!
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:23   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholtzberg View Post
Jeepgodd,

I used to have a couple of different Jeeps loved them would get one again if I didn't have a 25mi/35min commute.

Where are located? This will probably get you responses in terms of seasons and what to do.

If you in the Tampa Bay area I can help.
We are located in kemah tx

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jeepgodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:49   #25

Congrat's to you!!! We looked at many 36MKII's. We're scheduled for a sea trial (Catalina 350) for this Fri - in Kemah.

Definitely - make sure you tear that boat apart checking every crack & crevice to see what you have. There's a lot to learn.

We took our ASA 101 class with Windward Seaventures last month.
JeffnCristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:10   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffnCristol View Post
Congrat's to you!!! We looked at many 36MKII's. We're scheduled for a sea trial (Catalina 350) for this Fri - in Kemah.

Definitely - make sure you tear that boat apart checking every crack & crevice to see what you have. There's a lot to learn.

We took our ASA 101 class with Windward Seaventures last month.
Who are you using as a broker we used rick weiler at little yaught sales he was fantastic with us I really felt like he went above and beyond with my newbie questions
jeepgodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:18   #27

Sent you a PM
JeffnCristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:29   #28

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Clean up the boat by going completely thru the boat cleaning out every locker, engine space etc. Get to know where your seacocks are from this exercise.
Then make sure reefing is rigged and practice how to reef the mainsail at the dock. Then go have fun!
Good advice above!

When I get a new boat, I take EVERYTHING off...put it on the dock, in your car, whatever. You'll find that only 40% of it needs to go back on the boat. And you can clean and explore every locker. This way you will know where EVERYTHING is located on your boat.

80% of sailing is knowing where stuff is on your boat.

When the weather is nice, and the wind is light, go sailing. Go as often as you can. Go for a day, an afternoon, an hour, ten minutes. The more you go, the better you will be at it.

Think. Think about how the dock lines are rigged. Think about your running rigging. Think about every action you do on your boat. Is there a better/simpler way? Is there a better lead on that line? Touch every bolt, shackle and pin to be sure its doing what its supposed to do. Look everywhere. Look in the bilge. Look at the engine. Look at the rudder, anchor roller, turnbuckles, mast, boom, halyards, sheets, blocks, everything. The more you know your boat, the better you will be.

And, like everyone else has said...have fun. You have your own boat, its a dream come true. Smile. Be nice to your crew. Go slow, don't yell. Think about what comes next. The hard part of buying a boat is all behind you now. Enjoy.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:10   #29

Boat: Catalina 387

I still have my TJ. It's my kids ride now. Been on some seriously tough trails with it. Locked, 33's, winch, etc... Also the toad for the motorhome.

FamilyVan is right. Sailing is a lot like jeeping. Go do, learn stuff, break out $$$, repeat.

Boats work best when used alot. My boat is used 2-4 times a week. It just keeps getting better. So my advice is like all the others - use the boat as much as you can.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:08   #30

Boat: Able 50

Two things:

Day 1 - buy champagne . . . . open . . . . . drink . . . . . enjoy

Day 2 - open boat bank account . . . . . start paying
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat