Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2008, 13:09   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
It looks like Amanda Faye will be up for sale.

We have decided to place our boat on the market for sale. If it sells that will be OK if not that also will be OK.

What is the best way to sell our boat? A broker get 10%, is it worthwhile to try to sell on your own? The boat has a 2 week old survey, What weight should I put on the surveyors value of the boat?
Old 15-02-2008, 13:51   #2

Gunner,

I have no real suggestions except that I was really hoping you would hold off on this decision. May it all work out for you and my best to you both.

Do you want to trade even for a CL41?
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 14:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It will be OK Scott. If it sells we may try a trawler. Boating will always be something that we will do but now it will be on a shorter scale. Maybe a trailer sailor or a smaller power boat and a vacation home for the winter.
Old 15-02-2008, 16:48   #4

Probably not the best way- but if I were you, I'd just list it with a broker and forget it. That way you have a middle man and don't have to deal with tire kickers, etc. Sorry, it's come to this - we all know how much you worked on and loved this boat.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 19:04   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
WOW IS, you have been around and working on the boat for as long as I can remember. But nothing stays the same. As a former broker I am biased that way but unless you have the time and energy to set up and pay for ads, field phone calls and weed out the "don't have anything to do on Sunday" crowd a broker will earn his keep. And he will screen out the con artists and the folks that don't have the money but want a boat. Good luck in however it turns out. We have long ago learned that there are no coincidences and nothing happens by accident. If it is supposed to be it will and if it is not supposed to be it won't happen.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 19:13   #6

Why are you selling the boat?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 19:17   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Our Daughter Amanda Faye was killed in a car accident January 14 2008. We do not have any dream of cruising any longer and this is much to much boat to keep as a day sailor.
Old 15-02-2008, 22:11   #8

Boat: C&C 38'
Don't do that

I wasn't able to make very good decisions for the first year after our son was killed. Be careful about making decisions that have far reaching consequences when you are so upset. Listen here – you will get to the point of recalling something that Amanda said or did and laugh at it instead of your eyes tearing up with sadness.
Life will once again be happy and fun. There are no shortcuts. It takes time.
There will come a time that you remember her fondly and are glad that you had her. Would you rather not have had her at all? Of course not! What would she have loved to see you and her mother do, go on a long cruise? Well, that is probably what she wants you to do now!
Losing a child means that you understand John 3:16 on a whole new level. It is a life changing event. You know that I feel your pain. Been there, done that. Bless you.
Old 16-02-2008, 00:37   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwinsailor View Post
Our Daughter Amanda Faye was killed in a car accident January 14 2008. We do not have any dream of cruising any longer and this is much to much boat to keep as a day sailor.
My old man has been talking about selling his (motor) boat following the death of my brother at the end of last year (44 ) - who was also his principal crew and together they covered a fair chunk of Northern France for extended periods over many many years - so their is a practicality to his decision, as well as a change in dreams......I make supportive noises about the idea of selling.........but only on the basis that in due course he will probably change his mind or sell and immediately buy another one .

With all respect, IMO way too soon to make any big decisions, unless one has to (thinking about them is IMO a very good thing, but not to make them).

IMO life goes on, and that is how it should be.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 01:33   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We are looking for a boat right now, but vastly smaller budget.

Look, the 10% or whatever the brokers commision is will be a fair slice of money so perhaps you could look at slipping it on the net for a month privately at what the surveyor thought and see what happens.

Canny people will like to buy without a broker too! hat 10% saving can be split 50:50 so you both win out.

Anyway, its a thought (or you could sell to an Australian couple at a far less optium price and make us happy! LOL )

All the best at this difficult time, and remember you can pull the boats listing if you change your mind.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 04:23   #11

Boat: Young Sun 35' golightly
Amanda Faye for sale???

Gunner

Sandy and I are very sorry to hear Amanda Faye is for sale, we know how much it meant to you and Judy. All the work and love that went in to it.

We wish you and Judy the very best in what ever you do.

Andy & Sandy
aeg193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 06:42   #12

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
Gunner,I echo the sentiments of Cowboy Sailor, but if you decide to move forward, I also agree with Chuck Baier on hiring a broker. With a broker, you can clearly set the limits of what you need for the boat, and then get on about your business. You will only hear about the serious offers and the broker can weed out all the others. I think a good broker, brought to you on recommendation, will earn every penny of the 10% commission.
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 01:40   #13

Boat: Hartley RORC 32
Very sorry to hear of this sad news, I have only just been following alot of the threads and information on your boat
It is wonderful
I know things are tough, but I agree with being careful of large decisions like this at the moment
You will need to get your life back in order and some rationale to your thoughts
I wish you all the best in your quest, and my prayers are with you and your family
hooked on water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 10:38   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
If you sell her, you will never get down here to NZ and I won't get to meet you and you won't get to sit down over a cold one and tell us about your beautiful daughter and the wonderful times you had together. And the adventures getting down here that you know your daughter would still want you to take.
But then, sometimes a U-turn in life can be a good thing. It can help you break free of the sorrow and give you clear and defintate direction in life. Sometimes that direction maybe yet another U-turn to follow the cruising dream, but making steps is at least moving. And it is best to be moving than standing still.
All the best Gunner and Judy and we all here will support you in what ever decisions you make.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 11:18   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Hallo Gunnar

I understand what a terrible ordeal you are going thru and feel very sorry for you.
Take your time with the sale of your boat, it will bring you the same in 3 months as now since it is winter and boats do not sell well in the winter period.
It will give you some time to think it over.
Wishing you the best in your grieving.
Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote