Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2011, 06:11   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Isolating that Mysterious Leak . . .

Hello again,

I've had such good results from my last few posts I thought I'd try my luck again...

I am plagued by a pesky leak on my 1978 Pearson 26. After heavy rain or heavy seas, I tend to find water in the stowage compartment below the bench by the sink on the port side. The area could stay dry for weeks then I could find about a gallon of salt water in there after a day of heavy weather saililng. There was about the same amount of fresh water in there when I checked on it this week for the first time since the fall.

I have tried to isolate this leak but I can't quite be sure where it is coming from. I pulled and resealed the stanchions and I don't think they are leaking, but I plan on checking that again. There is a small crack in the nylon rub rail, the one over the hull deck joint, in the general vicinity of the leaky compartment. It's possible that when I put the rail in the water while heeling over, the water is getting in. I'm going to pull off that rubrail and replace it this week, and obviously I will inspect it carefully when it is off.

Are there any other likely sources of this leak that I should be checking? I would hate to replace the rubrail and find that water is still getting in somehow. I'm planning on using a hose and a second set of eyes to see if I can spot the leak. If it does seem to be coming in through the hull deck joint, is 5200 Marine Sealant the key? Or should I be looking at a bigger fix?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Jack
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 06:16   #2

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45
Re: Isolating that mysterious leak...

Have you checked around the chain plates?? Or around the port lights? and any place where you have wires passing through an exterior bulkhead or deck?
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 06:17   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Spray a little talc powder around, and look for drip tracks after the compartment acquires new water.
I suspect the sink drain.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 06:23   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I've been chasing a mysterious leak in the cabinet behind the head now for 2 years. It's inconsistent, and aggrivating......good luck.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 07:50   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Plenty of paper tissues round the spot below deck and plenty of high pressure hose water from above.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 08:08   #6

Boat: malo 39 12mtrs Parabola
Send a message via MSN to marius Send a message via Skype™ to marius

What i have done in the past and its work very well. You could try this if you sprinkle some talcum powder in the area you think the leak could be coming from.Check it next time you sail and you should see the run through the talcum powder.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:57   #7

Re: Isolating that Mysterious Leak . . .

I realize I am late to this posting; but I had a similar scencario on my P26. Mysterious water in the cabin lockers.

Replacing the window seal cured the problem. Catalina Direct has a kit that works on Pearsons. (I'm not sure if I got the 22 or the next size up kit - but I had plenty for all four ports.
Catalina Direct: Aluminum Window Reseal Kit C-22, CP-25
PopeyeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:16   #8

Boat: Catalina 350

A trick i used to use on cars, and I've seen it used on boats also. Find a way to pressurize the cabin... maybe with a blower or a large shop vac w/ hose outside and cabin entrance sealed. With the blower running go over suspect areas (outside the boat) with a concentrated soap and water mix. Should blow nice bubbles at the leaks.
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:17   #9

Learn something everyday... I like the talcum powder trick!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote