Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2011, 17:18   #1

Island Trader 38 Opinions

Looking to purchase a Island Trader38 ketch, please let me know your opinions on them, good, bad or indifferent!
Thanks,

"Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On"
Deadcat7382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 17:25   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Island Trader 38 opinions

there are some proud owners of island traders in the leaky teaky yacht club. is a yahoo group, available to anyone who is interested by email to leakyteakyyachtclub@yahoo.com
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 21:35   #3

Boat: Pearson 281
Re: Island Trader 38 Opinions

I think they have really beautiful interiors... my favorite of this sort of boat but they were seriously panned as sailors in Practical Sailor. Not that I still wouldn't be tempted. I know nothing about how well or not they were built, what yard they came out of in the far east. These would be good questions for the Leaky Teaki group for sure.

What sort of sailing performance are you looking for? Do you want to compromise somewhat on sailing ability for the aesthetics? That's certainly the choice I made with my Dreadnought. Just be sure you understand the trade offs. Might not sail very close or very fast but you will be going in style for sure.

Good luck and happy shopping!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 05:44   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
... they were seriously panned as sailors in Practical Sailor ...
... Good luck and happy shopping!
“In many ways, this overweight ketch exemplifies the worst of Taiwan boatbuilding during the 1970s ...”
Practical Sailor - Island Trader 37/38 - Boat Reviews Article

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 06:31   #5

the overweight ketch is not a racer, is a cruiser. is a difference. at leaky teaky site there are actually folks who OWN and SAIL these--is why i sent ye there-- they can tell ye what you are seeking from a point of view of an owner of these boats. try it.
Old 17-08-2011, 13:00   #6

OK a little more information about the boat, it is a 1981, it has had one owner, and is in great shape. The P.O. took very good care, and had a lot of pride in it. The teak still looks great and the interior is immaculate.

"Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On"
Deadcat7382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 17:35   #7

if you have passion for it, buy it .
Old 17-08-2011, 21:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadcat7382 View Post
OK a little more information about the boat, it is a 1981, it has had one owner, and is in great shape. The P.O. took very good care, and had a lot of pride in it. The teak still looks great and the interior is immaculate.
Drop the bucks to have the boat and engine surveyed.
look at other boats and remember all that teak in the interior is pretty but it takes some serious maintenence to keep it that way in the long term.
What is the water and fuel tankage.. the stove runs on what? butane/propane is a lot better than alcohol. Icebox or reefer? the holding tank is how big and how old is the macerator? crawl around the lockers with a flashlight. look for leaks. The boats listed on Yachtworld at the moment are all either 30 or alsmost 30 yrs old.. IF the boat has never had any upgrades or refit after that many yrs.. consider that cost and how many hours does the engine have on it..
and so on..........
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 21:42   #9

I have not sailed mine (island trader 41) but here is my opinion on the boat...clearly they have been built understandart...meaning that they used little resine in the construction...mine showed alot of weakness in that erea.

however theres no dought in my mind its a good boat...but when compared to my hinterhoeller its simple inferior.
island trader have exquisite teak interiors and this alone is enough for me to fall in love with the boat...mine is simply outstanding.

I hade a fellow offer me twice the price I have paid...and somehow for unexplainable reasons iv declined the offer...maybe a part of me knows I wont get an other in this lifetime...not to mention that zee has a hold of me...following her trip has opened my eyes on the posibilities that shuch a ship can offer.

not to say that my hinter has nothing to offer???

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0331.JPG
Views:	2472
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	30590  
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 07:59   #10

passion happens!!!!!!
ye either love these leaky teakies or ye hate em. a non owner cannot tell ye anything about the boat at all just opinions. leaky teaky yacht club has other owners and will let ye know more in fairly mediumbiased mannerisms about the good the bad and the ugly. look up my history in mine for the ugly ...LOL...i LOVE my boat. it handles sudden HIGH winds easily and is solid under me. she is a long range deep water cruiser. if that is what you seeek, with drop dead gorgeous lines, by all means, BUY IT. one previous owner is a really really good thing.
just do not prevent the mizzen to the taff rail.....
btw--these have no deal breaking difficulties--allis decently easy to fix and reasonably accessed.
Old 18-08-2011, 08:24   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Island Trader 38 Opinions

Listen to Zee....
if in your belly you feel you'll be happy in her no matter what... her little idiosyncrasies will soon become predictable and manageable...
And you'll have a boat that'll turn more heads than a Beneteau... just remember...
Ya gotta Work at Love... if ya luv her...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 08:32   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

If you want to make an informed decision, check out the sail area/displacement ratio (SA/D) for this boat. This is a key predictor of performance, and you'll have to look awfully hard for a boat with a worse SA/D.
Old 18-08-2011, 10:28   #13

Boat: Pearson 281

Going through this thread I can see the thing I like best about CF. I don't think a prospective buyer could get a more balanced or comprehensive perspective on a boat or a better understanding that the decision to buy a boat usually one made with the gut and not the head. This thread does a great job of conveying the notion of the compromises inherent in boat design and in being able to make a good decision, good meaning informed and well considered for the long-term.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 11:42   #14

cruising a brick is a fun experience. we look great under way and tolerate big winds well with minimal problems. some big winds come up at sea and in the gulf of mexico--i LOVE my brick and will sail her formosa my life--same as i will repair her formosa my li8fe....comfy and roomy and sails decent despite what the non owners tell me. i am most pleased with my decision to buy this boat.if you hold passion for the island trader, is a good chance you will actually make it out into the deep blue sea and you will be safer out there than in a low freeboard , well-rated more modern less gorgeously presented boat...
Old 18-08-2011, 12:27   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
If you want to make an informed decision, check out the sail area/displacement ratio (SA/D) for this boat. This is a key predictor of performance, and you'll have to look awfully hard for a boat with a worse SA/D.
True dat...

NEVER EVER buy a boat you cannot sail by yourself, or set up for singlehanding. Never ever buy a boat you are totally dependent on others to help you with in any way. Help as in need crew to move it to another port... help as in IF you are offshore and cannot do the emergency repairs to get you back to port etc.. factor that into your buying. just sayin'

Never ever go on a cruise where you have to sell off possessions to buy fuel and/or food.

Never ever buy a boat without a survey if it costs over $10K.. and check the engine hours and last serviced. Hard as it is, try to be objective.. if the boat beckons to your heart.. take a step back... take the time to do the research on the boat and others like it, model, yr.. and other comparible models.. only takes a few hours.. then IF that is what you want.. do the survey, including the engine and a sea trial. Use the survey to negotiate your final price.. and reread what I wrote above.. despite what some might try to dispute. My comments apply to any used boat anyone wishes to buy.

One final thought... IF you hestitate and the boat gets sold... it was not meant to be. There are plenty of other boats and it IS a buyers market still. Esp here in Florida.
fair winds..
bella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island trader