Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2004, 10:52   #1

Question Island Trader 36

Does anyone know anything about this boat? The particular one is question is a 1983, currently sitting in freshwater with a price tag of $75K.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Mel
melbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2004, 16:45   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
melbee, With this boat, a good knowledgeable surveyor is a must. They can be very problematic (read expensive to fix) if they have not been properly maintained and kept up. The typical plywood fiberglass construction of these vessels are prone to a plethora of issues. On the other hand they are overbuilt hulls that are roomy and comfortable live-aboards. They don't sail well in light air so usually have oversized engines. You have to decide if this boat will fit your needs and then look for a professional to sort out all the details before purchase. Hope this helps some. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2004, 04:38   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Unless it is in totally bristol condition with lots of extras it's priced on the high side of high. These boats never were speedy. For this money you should be able to get a boat in this size range that is in very nice condition and performs well. Go to yachtworld.com and just plug in used sail boats for $75K at 36 ft and you should see a nice long list. Get a feel for the market. read a lot of the adds and look at the pictures. It's a nice place to just look when it's cold outside.

As always get a surveyor before you fall in love.

FWIW, After 28 years I left MN last year for the Chesapeake.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2004, 06:30   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
I have no idea what drew you to an Island Trader but there are hundreds of wonderful boats out there that you can buy for $75K. The Island Trader 37/38 (I don't believe that Island Trader actually built a 36) isn't one of those.

In a general sense the building quality of the Island Trader line was notorious. It was boats like the Island Traders that were the poster children for poor oriental construction. My Mother was an importer of boats from Taiwan with her own lines of boats, and when the builders of better quality oriental boats would sit around and talk, they would complain about how boats like the Island Traders, Mariners, Ct's, and Formosas, were ruining the reputation of oriental boats for all of them.

The Island Trader glass work, while fairly heavy, was slap dash, using poor materials, poorly handled. Their teak decks were notorious leakers and the plywood cored decks below were condemned to failure by the sloppy workmanship and thousands of fasteners into the vulnerable plywood. (Fresh water is not a good thing for a boat like this as fresh water is more likely to promote rot in the plywood subdecks than saltwater which carries iodine). Their heavy use of teak resulted in very high vertical centers of gravity which is a very bad thing with regards to motion comfort, stability, and seaworthiness.

The poor metalurgy of their knockoff hardware, and poor choice of materials and methods of their electical work is legendary.

Sailing ability wise these are neither good light air nor good heavy air boats. Their high wetted surface and inefficient sail plans make them useless as sailboats in winds under 10- 12 knots. Their low ballast ratios, slack bilges, and large weights aloft make them poor heavy weather boats. These boats are notorious rollers. While their roll rates may be slow, such large roll angles could never be considered comfortable in any objective way.

These boats were intended as romantic, cheap, teak exhibition halls. If you are looking for a dockside live aboard these might make reasonable, albeit excesively high maintenance choice. But if you are looking for a boat that you intend to sail or to go voyaging on, then you really should keep looking.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2004, 11:09   #5

Boat: Formosa Georgian Mk IV 62' Dolce Vita
Jeff:
It's to bad you put Formosa in that class.We own one and it's construction and sailing abilities are contrary to your statements. Maybe it's the exception. our fit and finnish surpase that of a J-boat or others of that class. While not a lite vessel (84000# 28000# ballast) she sails well in light air and does not roll in snotty following seas as some have reported. I have to admit that she does not point well.( a funtion of a ketch rig and full keel)but her dry ride when it gets crappy and straight track make her a joyful OFFSHORE CRUISER. Having a Swan 47 in the past, I can honestly say Dolce Vita is our last boat as she fills our expextations and then some. ie No leaks or rotton core, and a glass to resin ratio of 50/50 tested by burnouts of thruhull cores.
Before I got sidetraked , my point is "Go cruizin now ,no mater what the boat or equipment.If you have to wait untill you have just the right boat with all the bells and whistles, you"ll be to old to enjoy the experiance.
Michael
Old 29-04-2004, 10:10   #6

in love with island trader

i understand your love for the island trader- i too fell for it's charm and warmth. i had found a number that were in excellent condition for around 45.000 but because of the teak deck attachment method the back of my mind was always screaming the word "YET" whenever i looked and found one that was not leaking thru the deck- also check the wood post used for anchor securment(bull pulpit?). I have found these to be questionable- I helped change one out last year and it was a bear but doable.-

all that has been said is true about it being heavy and needing fair wind to travel but we did cruse from west end bahamas thru Jupiter inlet in 6 -10 foot following seas and it was one of the best night sails i ever had.

there is an island trader web site and one gentelman there is rebulding one and will talk to you on the phone- he is incredably knowledgeable on the boat's inner secrets- well worth the phone call
tjrahaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 22:24   #7

Location: Auckland New Zealand {land of the long white cloud}
Boat: William Garden Transworld 41
Re: Island Trader 36

I agree with the teck decks and leaky part, also check the fuel tank that its not steel , but they sail well as a cruiser
Old 13-09-2011, 05:41   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, tjrahaim.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 05:48   #9

Boat: mt34dt

For that kind of money you can find better boats, IMO.
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 05:58   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Island Trader 36

You'd do better with this... even if it is older..
And $35K cheaper.... lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	main.jpg
Views:	2376
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	31609  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 06:04   #11

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You'd do better with this... even if it is older..
And $35K cheaper.... lol
what boat is it and what listing
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 06:06   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Island Trader 36

I'm a sucker for Cheoy Lee's.... similar problems... but I love the Clippers...
69 cheoy lee clipper 36 sailboat for sale in Hawaii

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 06:40   #13

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm a sucker for Cheoy Lee's.... similar problems... but I love the Clippers...
69 cheoy lee clipper 36 sailboat for sale in Hawaii
Thank you for ruining my day. I have been looking at a union 36 and now i have to take a look at the above yacht. Really ruined my day, so confused now

what problems ca i expect with it. Another leaky teaky???
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 06:41   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Any of you guys notice that this thread dates from 2004?

Jim
Old 13-09-2011, 08:37   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
I have no idea what drew you to an Island Trader but there are hundreds of wonderful boats out there that you can buy for $75K. The Island Trader 37/38 (I don't believe that Island Trader actually built a 36) isn't one of those.

In a general sense the building quality of the Island Trader line was notorious. It was boats like the Island Traders that were the poster children for poor oriental construction. My Mother was an importer of boats from Taiwan with her own lines of boats, and when the builders of better quality oriental boats would sit around and talk, they would complain about how boats like the Island Traders, Mariners, Ct's, and Formosas, were ruining the reputation of oriental boats for all of them.

The Island Trader glass work, while fairly heavy, was slap dash, using poor materials, poorly handled. Their teak decks were notorious leakers and the plywood cored decks below were condemned to failure by the sloppy workmanship and thousands of fasteners into the vulnerable plywood. (Fresh water is not a good thing for a boat like this as fresh water is more likely to promote rot in the plywood subdecks than saltwater which carries iodine). Their heavy use of teak resulted in very high vertical centers of gravity which is a very bad thing with regards to motion comfort, stability, and seaworthiness.

The poor metalurgy of their knockoff hardware, and poor choice of materials and methods of their electical work is legendary.

Sailing ability wise these are neither good light air nor good heavy air boats. Their high wetted surface and inefficient sail plans make them useless as sailboats in winds under 10- 12 knots. Their low ballast ratios, slack bilges, and large weights aloft make them poor heavy weather boats. These boats are notorious rollers. While their roll rates may be slow, such large roll angles could never be considered comfortable in any objective way.

These boats were intended as romantic, cheap, teak exhibition halls. If you are looking for a dockside live aboard these might make reasonable, albeit excesively high maintenance choice. But if you are looking for a boat that you intend to sail or to go voyaging on, then you really should keep looking.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Jeff I am no expert and not even a sailor (yet) however I know about construction and fiberglass...I also own an IT and must agree with you...Island trader seem to have gambled everything on teak woodwork, the rest seems to me a litle fragil. in anycase mine looks like a ship that was built in a rush with minimal resine and cloth.

however shes eye candy
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island trader