Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2021, 09:02   #1

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Island Packet vs Moody vs Outbound vs something else - full time liveaboard & cruisin

One of my neighbors recently just started talking about different boats that he was looking at recently and ended up with a Moody 46 CC.

He was looking at a IP 445 and an Outbound 44 as alternatives to the Moody.

I started thinking about how these are all very similar with differing designs and layouts. The outbound is a tad more expensive and i've always viewed them as one of the best boats for quality with a touch of modern to them.

That said I really like the layout of the Moody that he picked up, and she sails quite nicely.

For a cruising couple, I think all of them are relatively about equal in terms of handling, but my biggest question is the CC design in an offshore setting.

Are Moody's and IP Center cockpits - or CC's in general, okay with offshore sailing? I know amel's 54 and supers are generally viewed as safe sailors and they are CC's.

I've got a 42 with an aft cockpit and have a relatively small cockpit. Never been pooped, but i know if i do get pooped, it'd drain quite fast so.

I feel like this is a loaded question, but I kind of figured what people thought of Moody/IP vs Outbounds.

Are Moody and IP's in the same class in quality and sailing abilities as OB, or are they below? Are they above?
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:33   #2

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: Island Packet vs Moody vs Outbound vs something else - full time liveaboard & cru

The center cockpit is a matter of preference only. It has very little to do with a boat being seaworthy. Some people want a walk around queen bed that is easy to get in and out of. I do like the line galley that many CC boats have.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:12   #3

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Re: Island Packet vs Moody vs Outbound vs something else - full time liveaboard & cru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
The center cockpit is a matter of preference only. It has very little to do with a boat being seaworthy. Some people want a walk around queen bed that is easy to get in and out of. I do like the line galley that many CC boats have.

Thanks Dave for that! Is there any real difference in build quality between any of these builders?

I've only had old boats, which regardless if the hull is good and strong, we all know past owner maintenance schedule determines how well everything else fairs. All things aside, since I was about 15 I've viewed IP as one of the "best" builders, but then i came across Outbound and been on a few and thought "my god these are incredibly beautiful" - workmanship and otherwise. When I went aboard the Moody, I started to feel very similar feelings and digging around the boat, they seemed to give me that same feeling as IP and Outbound.

I do like the idea of CC purely for the "separation" of master cabin vs the rest of the boat(the wife likes her own "space" in the event that she needs a break from the guests. I also like how engine access is "often" very good with CC's.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 17:04   #4

Boat: Moody 40 CC

We were also looking at IP's and Moody's (and others), take a look at the following review by Bernie Jackets (sp?) talking about the difference in hull types for cruising boats.

To Bernie's point the IP's are great boats, but it steered me more towards the Moody for hull shape.

Start around min 6:00
JohnEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 17:24   #5

Boat: Pearson 367

I think these boats appeal to different markets and are not in the same basket. IP has a cult following. I've heard they make 30 boats a year (?) and that fullfills that niche. Catalina yachts makes around 600 boats a year. Moody was a good production boat that is regarded as sturdier than their french counterparts. The outbound is a semi custom boat with around 50 boats made. Price might be similar to an IP but the philosophy of sailing is very different. I'm a value guy and I'd take the moody out of the three.
Old 08-03-2021, 19:39   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Looking at PHRF ratings: IP 45=126, Moody 45=108, Outbound 44=90...

Considerable differences there if sailing performance is of any concern.

Jim
Old 08-03-2021, 19:56   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Looking at PHRF ratings: IP 45=126, Moody 45=108, Outbound 44=90...

Considerable differences there if sailing performance is of any concern.

Jim
Yep, the Outbound is a far quicker boat than the others while still retaining solid build (no core, encapsulated keel with bolt on side bullets) It's layout is focused on offshore safety and practicality. Yes, I'm biased.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 20:23   #8

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEvans View Post
We were also looking at IP's and Moody's (and others), take a look at the following review by Bernie Jackets (sp?) talking about the difference in hull types for cruising boats.

To Bernie's point the IP's are great boats, but it steered me more towards the Moody for hull shape.

Start around min 6:00
There's a lot to like in that video, but Bernie is a gem.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 04:38   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post

He was looking at a IP 445 and an Outbound 44 as alternatives to the Moody.
It's all in the eye of the boater. I don't feel those boats are the same at all.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:46   #10
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

if you plan on eventually coming inshore you need to be aware of the air draft of these boats and their ability to pass under fixed bridges.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:10   #11

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It's all in the eye of the boater. I don't feel those boats are the same at all.
Agreed, They're all great boats, but its a bit like choosing between a Ferrari, a Mustang and a Jeep to go grocery shopping. They'll all do it but in very different ways!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet, liveaboard