Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 12:06   #31

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~
Re: Island Packet Model Comparison

Sorry everybody, my hands got ahead of my brain. The holding tank is on the port side of our IP32.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:12   #32

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Mcerdos,
You gotta remember we are talking about sub 100K boats here, Your Super Maramu isn't in that catagory

Does this mean I can't play with you any more?
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:51   #33

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post
We don't care what your boat is worth.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:58   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post

No, that wasn't what was meant at all, just well, it's not "fair" to try to hold an older IP to higher standards is al I meant, and things like bow thrusters etc., may well bust the budget.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 13:51   #35

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
No, that wasn't what was meant at all, just well, it's not "fair" to try to hold an older IP to higher standards is al I meant, and things like bow thrusters etc., may well bust the budget.
No offense taken

I have sailed for about 40 years. For the last twenty years, I have kept a boat in a marina somewhere. One observation I have made is that people who sail full keeled boats often have trouble maneuvering in tight spaces. Perhaps I have spent my life around inept sailors on full keeled boats but I think otherwise.

Full keel designs are awesome for offshore sailing, no question about it. But, if I were looking for a boat, and should I happen to settle on an IP, given my observations I would have a bow thruster on the wish list.

We are still in a strong buyers market. The OP will have a lot of options available. The IP is a popular boat and many are currently on the market. The OP can be picky about the extras. Whether or not the IP is equipped with a bow thruster isn't going to break the budget. At most it would add a few hundred dollars to the value of the boat. But again, given the choice, I would opt for the model with the thruster every time over one without.
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 14:23   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Island Packet Model Comparison

You may be right, things may have changed in the last 6 mos or so since I bought mine, but at that time no Island Packet with an asking price of less than 200K or so had bow thrusters, I'd love to have one, but as long as it's less than 10 kts in the Marina I can do a standing turn and only need about 50' or so, using the prop walk, I can turn her shorter than most boats seem to, although so far I'm the only one I've seen doing a standing turn, but that may be because the fin keel boats don't have to also. If I back out with a strong wind to starboard, I'm doing a 270 standing turn.
Where I would love a bow thruster is backing into my slip with a cross wind, as it is now I have to use a spring line to accomplish it, but with a bow thruster I bet I could back her in just like the wind wasn't blowing.
Sigh, maybe one day?

See I'm thinking that ErBrown needs to stay at or under 100K if possible, because anybody's old boat is going to need something. I've been lucky so far on mine, all I've had to spend was pennies, but wanted upgrades, and the eventual chainplate / tank replacement isn't gonna be cheap
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet, model