Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 20:18   #1

Island Packet Info

I have a need to get a sailboat. The boat that I've read about and like the looks of is an Island Packet 35-38. Would some of you fine, experienced folk care to play the "Devils Advocate" with me and tell me the faults of this boat. I would be sailing alone some of this time. I will be doing quite a bit of cruising, a little liveaboard, a lot of yo-ho-ho and some rum. Sixteen men on a dead man's chest and the such.

I intend to keep the boat in the Carolinas (cousin has a 700,000 dollar beachhouse real close.) She rents it out in the summer and she goes to Panama in the fall. I would have a land based home close to my boat. Spring maybe Florida, Bahamas and even further as my fear and common sense equal out.

I've sailed Hobie 16's from 1970 to 1974. Then I got a NACRA 5.8 (Quiet Storm)and still have it and sail regularly. The NACRA and I have been to the nationals on several occasions. Because of my beach cat experience I've had no trouble getting 24 foot monohulls to play with on in the Chesapeake bay. I've done extensive offshore sailing in my cousin's 26 foot Italian sloop (Gabbiano). I have intentionally entered high wind areas to increase my confidence, soil my BVD's, and to help me become one with an alien environment. I feel that I may be a seagoing transcendentalist. Walden pond be damned!

Any information on the boat and other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Apple stock was very good to me three years ago, two years ago, and again last year. That makes all this is possible.

I've read this forum every night since I joined and the level of information here is simply amazing. Love the search feature. Thanks guys and gals for your continued guidance.
Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 22:24   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hud3 has an IP and I am sure he will love to brag about it when he next awakes. He will probably give a fair and balanced assessment, cuz that's the kinda guy he is...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:50   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, Bill.

I've owned an IP380 for 6-1/2 years, and have found it to be a great boat. I'm not personally familiar with the 35-38 footers, but I think you can count on them being solidly built, comfortable, and good performers in a breeze.

Frankly the only negatives I have about our boat was that it doesn't point as high as some boats, and that it was slow sailing downwind in light air. The fix to the pointing issue is to motor sail if you need to get somewhere on a schedule. I fixed the latter problem with an asymmetric spinnaker in a sock that I can handle solo, and all is good now. These two characteristics are common to heavy displacement, full-keel boats.

The plus side of that trade-off is that these boats sail extremely well in 15 kts and above on a close reach around to a broad reach, and can handle just about any kind of weather offshore. I've seen up to Force 9 for 2-3 days at a time during offshore passages, and we were comfortable and dry.

Here's a link to a post I made in response to another member's question about Island Packets.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post195128
Old 09-09-2008, 20:16   #4

The only problem with IP's is that all the owners have grey hair!

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:48   #5

Re: Island Packet Info

please tell me dear captains.I'm interested in what the real in fact the ceiling height on the island packet 27, my height is 6.1,I think it's important that would not hit my head,and go crouching, mainly from the galley and main saloon,a folding table.please tell me this boat will be comfortable for the height of the ceiling, and will be very uncomfortable because of the height of the ceiling? how much actual height,has anyone measured it,or maybe you, too, 6.1,and you first-person can tell you everything...I really like this boat and I really want it,know it and travel,but there is no way in the real world to see her and to check all details interested in me..thank you for your answers and guidance.God bless you
konstantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:15   #6

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

chainplates
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:50   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm only 5'10", but my Neighbor is well over 6" and he gets around in my IP38 better than he does in his Hatteras.
I do not know the height, but I'm sure that data is available.
All boats have weaknesses and strengths, weaknesses of an IP are aluminum tanks that take an act of God to replace, and chain plates that are also difficult to replace, cost $10 grand to have them done, but then they are good for 30+ yrs. I'd say off hand that any 35 or 38 is at an age where the chain plates need replacing. The newer 0 series of boats are smaller inside, meaning that a 380 and a 35 are pretty much the same boat inside, the extra length is in the sugar scoop.
IP's are high though, that sugar scoop would sure make getting in and out of the dinghy easier
Some of their strengths are you can't get a wet deck, they handle bad weather better than most and don't heel nearly as much as some others, I've never met an IP owner that had been "pooped" not saying its not possible, but it must be highly unlikely. My 38 if you get too much sail up and heel her over, it slows it down, the VMG is better with 10 to 15 degrees of heel.
They are not fast nor highly maneuverable, but you don't sweat bullets if you run aground in sand either, rocks of course or large waves nothing survives.
Helm position is horrible, but you get a nearly bullet proof direct rack and pinion steering system, and who spends much time behind the helm on a passage anyway?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:51   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This article says headroom is 6'4"
Island Packet 38
Old 17-12-2016, 04:33   #9

Boat: Hunter 41 DS

a64pilot, I'm not new to reading the forum but first time jumping in. Looking a purchasing an 1993 IP38. Question can you or anyone else expand on the chain plates and aluminum tanks? a64pilot with your IP38 have you done the chain plates or replaced tanks yet. What fails on the chain plates and tanks? Trying to learn more about problems with them
Dockhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 04:55   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

The aluminum tanks are attacked by chlorine in the water or waste, and can develop pinhole leaks over time. If properly cared for, e.g. using a carbon filter when filling with chlorinated fresh water, there should be no problems.

The chain plates are encased in FRP, and can only be inspected by Xraying. If the sealant used where the shroud fittings pass through the deck isn't removed and replaced on a regular basis, leaks can develop. There are weep holes to keep water from collecting around the chain plates, at least my IP 380 had them, but rusting can still occur. Allowed to go on for too long, corrosion can cause chain plate failure. It's not a great design, but I haven't heard of all that many IPs losing their rigs to chain plate failure.
Old 17-12-2016, 05:20   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dockhand.

See also ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ket-84378.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 06:11   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hud3 is correct, to add a little though, I have a 3/8" poly waste tank made by Triple M plastics sitting in my living room, the cost was about $500 total that I will replace the aluminum waste tank with as mine is 15 yrs old, the plastic tank should last until after my death.
My Chain plates are original from 1987 and are I am sure a ticking time bomb, I will have Mack Sails replace them for $10,000. The original chain plates were 304 yet have lasted 30 yrs, the replacements will be 316L made by Garhauer, 316 is much more resistant to corrosion and there are better techniques to install now, so again they will last until after I am dead.
Water tank, I filter all water through a charcoal filter to remove chlorine and of course when we install the watermaker, there is zero chlorine then, chlorine will kill a watermaker membrane in short order.

In other words all boats have weak links, everything does, but the IP's are mature enough that these weak links have been identified and fixes are in place, I would figure in the10K to replace the chain plates into the price of the boat, the waste tank is easy to replace, the other two are not.
Old 17-12-2016, 13:35   #13

I've owned an IP26 mkII and the current IP35.

And as A64 has stated, the tankage and chain plates are the two major defects in the IP design.
Most holding tanks can be replaced but the water and fuel tanks require major surgery. Both both can be properly evaluated during a survey.

The chainplates are a whole different story. Even the factory reps admit that there is no way to address their true condition without removal.
Visual, Magnaflux, Dye Penetrate, X-Ray, ultra sound, thermal..etc are all unreliable. and if you are going to remove them for inspection, you are stupid to not just replace them.

Cost are between $9k and $15K.

As far as the different models, usually the "hundred" series are a model smaller than the "doubles". I.E. the 320, 350, 370, 380... are smaller than the 32, 35, 37, 38 ....
The 320 compares more to the 31, the 350 more to the 32, 370 with the 35....

Also the 38, 40, 420,44,440,& 45's all have double heads. Which IMHO is a total waste of space in a boat less than 40'.

The "doubles" (31,32,35,37,38...) can now be had for a very good price, where as the "hundred's" are still commanding a premium.

When we were looking for our current 35, I was looking at everything between 32~38 and 320~380. It came down to two series, the 35 and 350. In the end, the 350 was just to small compared to the 35. There were just to few 37's to have more than a couple on the market at any one time. And the 38 had a double head. Which as I previously stated, is a waste of space.

I toured every 35' that was for sale on the east coast. Some had new chain plates and tankage. Others did not. And the listing price bared no indication as to which was which.

Finally settled on the one we bought because the PO's spent the extra money for custom cabinets in the fwd and aft cabins, New motor, Lighthouse windless, cabin heatpump...etc. So I figured she was well maintained.
But she still has the original water and fuel tank and most critical, old chainplates. These were important bargaining points for the final price.

My suggestion to any prospective IP buyer is to do as much "ass" time in as many models as you can.

Ohh.. As far as head room, I'm 6'3" and have no problem standing in the main salon of any IP. The bigger issue are the berths. In most Vee berths, my head is touching one bulkhead with my feet touching the other.
Only the aft stateroom has a berth that I can truly stretch out in.
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 13:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstantin View Post
please tell me dear captains.I'm interested in what the real in fact the ceiling height on the island packet 27, my height is 6.1,I think it's important that would not hit my head,and go crouching, mainly from the galley and main saloon,a folding table.please tell me this boat will be comfortable for the height of the ceiling, and will be very uncomfortable because of the height of the ceiling? how much actual height,has anyone measured it,or maybe you, too, 6.1,and you first-person can tell you everything...I really like this boat and I really want it,know it and travel,but there is no way in the real world to see her and to check all details interested in me..thank you for your answers and guidance.God bless you
Our 26mkII was the precursor to the 27. And yes, at 6'3" I could stand in the main salon (if you really want to call it that) under the cabin hatch, without my head touching.

Everywhere else, my head touched. Up fwd, I had to bend my neck a bit.

The more important issue are the berths. The port berth was the only one I could stretch out in and not have both feet and head touching walls. But the fwd end narrowed.

The port side of the Vee berth was okay, but kept loosing pillows into the salon and arms were hanging over when extended beyond my head.

Another thing to consider, if you are a bit "wide", You'll have problem navigating the head door.

Besides these things, there is a lot of room in a 26 or 27. More room than most 30'er's. My Aunt and Uncle lived on our's for 5 years while traveling the ICW.
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 14:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
chainplates
Yes , Good reminder, I remember a few threads about replacing chainplates on the 38 and the difficulty in getting them out.
Aluminum tanks can be an issue in any boat, especially if used for black waste. I've had 2 alum fuel tanks go bad in my time also, both in the bilge under the floorboards though.
Not that many other boats don't suffer from the same thing.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet