Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2020, 22:58   #1

Boat: Fair Weather 39
Island Packet advice?

I am currently looking for a cruising boat in the 35-38 foot range. full keel or keel/skeg rudder. It seems like the IP boats are by far the roomiest and what I have read, a very high-quality boat. I looked at a Pacific Seacraft 37 Crealock, that I fell in love with, but it was too small inside. I really like the second full cabin and not just a quarter berth.
I am in California and there is only one IP for sale on the West Coast. a 350 in pretty rough condition. I found at least a dozen IPs on the East Coast for sale and am planning on a trip to look at some of them. I understand they are manufactured on the East Coast: 35, 350, 37, 370,380. all of them 1997-2004.

It seems several of them have Heat/AC, which I have never seen on a California boat. Some have bow thrusters. Bow thrusters don't mean much to me, maybe nice, but do they affect speed?

Are there any other boats that I should consider? Up to a max of $150,000. No Catalinas, Hunters, etc.
Any comments about shipping boat to California? thanks.
Pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 23:41   #2

Boat: Island Packet 349
Re: Island Packet advice?

What comments about shipping you are looking for? It cost me $14k to ship the IP from the factory to WA. Neither the manufacturer nor the local dealer charged extra for packing/unpacking, but in your case you will have this cost. At least $5k total on both ends. The boat may get damaged in transit. You may want to insure the transport (expensive and hard to get).

Bow thrusters don’t affect speed measurably. They are useful. An AC would be essential if you go South and stay in a marina. Heater would be essential if you go North. I am running the heater now, it would be 54F inside otherwise. It was earlier today when I came from home.

Other domestic sailboats of comparable quality are Sabre and Tartan. Comparable imports are generally larger than the range you mentioned and include Hylas, Moody (old production), Passport, Outbound, Tayana, and few others.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 00:43   #3

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Why not sail it over?

Every boat or plane I have bought has been a long ways away from home base, that first voyage being a long one was historically one of my best memories.

I could see shipping a laser 2 or a J24 or something, but a boat built and bought to cruise, don’t deprive yourself the adventure, after all isn’t that the whole point?

Per your other question, 150k is amel santorin territory
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:28   #4

Thanks for your advice. I checked out all of the boats you suggested. The best one (size, price, layout, keel design) is a Tayana 37. But, it is in GA. I have considered sailing it to CA, but with Covid, I would hate to be stuck somewhere. From CA, I can go to Hawaii and south when(if) things open up. I wasn't aware how much it costs to ship it. I still may consider it. How well do you like your IP?
Old 02-07-2020, 09:31   #5

Buy something near you.

The shipping+hassle costs during the age of COVID isn't worth it, unless you're going to start your adventure on the other coast.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:57   #6

maybe..., It is better to go with a good boat than not go and keep looking for the perfect boat. I appreciate the input.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:04   #7
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the IP350 is really the IP32 hull with reverse transom. I chartered one once and did not like anything about it. the older IP35 and IP32 were nice boats but very tough to find one in decent condition. good luck.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer View Post
maybe..., It is better to go with a good boat than not go and keep looking for the perfect boat. I appreciate the input.
There is no perfect boat.

But the dream is stronger than the reality, which is why something that's further away often seems "better". Boats fall into the category of "love the one you're with", because what you're actually pursuing can be found on any boat.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:12   #9

Boat: Seaward 22

make sure you look into the chain plate issue. it is an expensive maintenance item that has to be done at some point. have you looked at a cabo rico? you will find them on the west coast.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:27   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We love our IP, but it’s designed for what we do with it, shallow water, coastal cruising, in warm weather, one of the better boats for knocking around the Bahamas and semi frequent groundings.
So depending on what you want in a boat should determine which boat. It’s my understanding draft where you are is irrelevant, and if so then a shallow full keel would a liability and not an asset, and may be why there are so few over there.

The newer IP’s are “smaller” than the old ones. By that I mean that for example a 380 is pretty much a 35 with a scoop stern.

IP’s for the most part are a challenge in a tight Marina, the full keel likes to maintain heading and is hard to overcome. My IP in reverse will back to port unless the wind is blowing then she backs into the wind, you don’t have a vote on that. Speed that makes the rudder effective backing is above what I’m comfortable with in tight spaces.
Prop walk is your friend not your enemy. I would like a bow thruster but don’t want to pay for one or lose the storage.
I’ve never seen a nice Fl boat without AC.
They aren’t nearly as slow as many want to believe, however they are not quick in acceleration, nor will they turn fast, But they don’t get in Irons easily either, they may not turn fast but they will keep turning due to inertia.
To compare to a car they are a Lincoln Continental or similar, very comfortable on the Interstate, not so good in town and parking lots, and terrible in an Autocross.
I probably take at least twice as long to tack as say a Bennie, they are not a boat that does well tacking on a short course, they won’t be much fun day sailing.
Takes more wind for one to sail well too. Some boats sail great in 10 kts, IP’s not so much, but they are great in the Bahamas because light wind days are rare
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:28   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I don't know where IP gets their reputation for being a good boat.
First is that gadawful color they use for their hull and deck. Barf yellow I think it's called

I've been on a quite a few IP's on my boat searches...and they simply did not appeal to me, though they have quite a following. They have a shallow draft and full keel, and for some folks, that is enuff reason to get it.

There are so many different " brands" on the market these, making a choice is difficult. My advice is to "look around" a bit and if after all that, you still want the IP...get it !!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
make sure you look into the chainplate issue. it is an expensive maintenance item that has to be done at some point. have you looked at a cabo Rico? you will find them on the west coast.
Good recommendation: I love the Cabo Ricos, they are a Bill Crealock design. Unfortunately, I can't find one available on the West Coast right now. I will keep my eye out for them. thanks.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:21   #13

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer View Post
Thanks for your advice. I checked out all of the boats you suggested. The best one (size, price, layout, keel design) is a Tayana 37. But, it is in GA. I have considered sailing it to CA, but with Covid, I would hate to be stuck somewhere. From CA, I can go to Hawaii and south when(if) things open up. I wasn't aware how much it costs to ship it. I still may consider it. How well do you like your IP?
I would limit the search to the West coast only. Yachtworld shows an Estero in San Diego in your price range. Did you see it?

I do like my IP. It is very well built and very comfortable. This is my fourth sailboat and it is progressively better than the previous three.

However, unless you want to travel long distance with it and benefit from the keel configuration, there are other alternatives. Definitely look at a Sabre, they pop up occasionally in California. Tayanas should be more frequent on the West coast since they are built in Taiwan. There are other high quality Taiwanese boats, such as Baba, that you may find. They are quite inexpensive.
Since you are not buying a new one, a specific model is less important than the condition.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 16:42   #14

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Why not a post 2000 era Catalina? They are much more agile sailing than an IP and plenty in Cali.
Old 02-07-2020, 18:35   #15

I have a friend who has an Island Packet 370 for sale on Lake Erie. Beautiful fresh water boat. 2004. Check it out at RCRyachts. com
PatSea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet