Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2020, 17:47   #1

Boat: Island Packet 485 52'
Island Packet 380 w 3'11" Draft

Hello everyone,
We have been researching and viewing the Island Packet 380 and 420 for the past year. Currently we are considering traveling to view a 2002 IP380 that is advertised to have a 3'11" shoal draft. At first I thought this was a mistake but I called the IP folks and yes, they actually did make a few of these boats. I'm wondering if the shorter draft will have a negative effect on how this full keel heavy displacement boat sails compared to the usual 4'7" draft?
Does anyone out there have any experience with sailing this boat?
I am new to cruisers forum so thanks in advance for your help!
angarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 17:48   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Island Packet 380 w 3'11" Draft

There was a 31 and I believe 38 centerboard model. This most have almost no keel at all as the hulls themselves are quite deep
Old 20-04-2020, 18:01   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Never heard of one, but I can tell you from experience that the older slightly deeper draft IP’s easily outsail the newer shallower draft ones, which surprised me, I assume IP chased the shallow draft thing too far, cause that’s what the dealers told them the buyers wanted.
Last year we sailed back from the Bahama’s with a 420, he had to motor sail to keep up with us, even when I wasn’t using my code zero and was just on my white sails, I was shocked to see that cause I assumed he would be faster, and this was close hauled.
No IP goes to windward well, but it seems the newer shallower draft ones don’t go to
windward as well as the older boats.

As a gross simplification but it seems if all else is equal a deeper draft will sail much better than the same boat with a shallower draft.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 18:05   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Is this the boat? It does say 3’11” draft although I’m having a hard time with understanding how it could sail with that
https://www.annapolisyachtsales.com/...cket/380/2531/
Old 20-04-2020, 21:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Is this the boat? It does say 3’11” draft although I’m having a hard time with understanding how it could sail with that
https://www.annapolisyachtsales.com/...cket/380/2531/
Yes, that's the one.
Old 21-04-2020, 06:23   #6

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

What are your plans for the boat? If you're gunkholing around Florida the draft won't be much of an issue for you regarding sailing performance.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 06:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
What are your plans for the boat? If you're gunkholing around Florida the draft won't be much of an issue for you regarding sailing performance.
We aspire to bring the boat down the east coast , part ICW and part open water, head to the Bahamas for a month or so, then bring it around the tip of Florida to live on our dock in Port Charlotte. From there, trips to the Caribbean are in the longer term plan, and perhaps back up the east coast a time or two. No big ocean passages but we still want a boat that can sail well, ( we know IP's are slow) and be handled decently in rougher weather.
Old 21-04-2020, 07:01   #8

Boat: Seaward 22

I would say forget about going to windward in that boat without the motor....especially in strong winds. The sideslip would be tremendous. My Seaward 22 sideslips with it's shallow draft. When the wind picks up it is really pronounced. My boat likes to be sailed very flat. You will likely have to reef really early.
ohdrinkboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 07:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by angarae View Post
We aspire to bring the boat down the east coast , part ICW and part open water, head to the Bahamas for a month or so, then bring it around the tip of Florida to live on our dock in Port Charlotte. From there, trips to the Caribbean are in the longer term plan, and perhaps back up the east coast a time or two. No big ocean passages but we still want a boat that can sail well, ( we know IP's are slow) and be handled decently in rougher weather.

I think you already know the answer to your question.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 07:03   #10

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

The story that I heard was Bob Johnson surveyed the owners of some keel CB owners and found that they rarely used the CB. So he made the decision to offer just a shallow draft version for the occasional owner that needed the reduced draft. They used lead ingots vice the cast iron to help make up for loss of static stability. I have found my 32 to sail quite well with the board up. Close hauled in 15 knots the side slip is about 10 degrees, when I put the board down that is reduced by about half.

If you need the shallow draft they are a pretty rare find, CB or otherwise.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 08:10   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

IP’s with a good sail suite are not slow, I keep hearing that, but they aren’t slow.
Now they don’t turn on a dime so they would be slow around a buoy, and they don’t accelerate particularly well as they are not lightweight, so yes around the beer cans they would in fact be slow, but out cruising, I’m as fast or usually faster than most boats I run across. To include going to windward, with a 110 Genoa I can sail at 30 degrees apparent, and that’s my limit, a real performance boat can I’m sure squeeze a few more degrees out of one, but not a whole lot.

The code zero really woke up my boat, it’s by far my headsail choice, now it won’t go to windward as close, only about 40 degrees or so, with 50 being better, but it will actually go completely DDW without being poled out as long as there is decent wind, and it’s good to over 20 kts apparent but your really overpowered there anyway above 15 and you don’t need it, from there and upward the Genoa takes over.

What IP’s are not usually is good light wind boats, with just white sails, your not sailing in less than 10 kts not really, an IP lives in winds over 15 kts.
So in lighter winds they are in fact slow, a full battened main and a Code Zero really helps there, but it would any boat of course.
Old 21-04-2020, 08:36   #12

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

The best shallow draft sailboat for Florida and Bahamas is a displacement hull trawler
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 10:37   #13

If you need the shallow draft, this is a great Florida boat. If you don't need a shallow draft, I can't imagine that an Island Packet with an even shallower draft is going to be all that fast at any point of sail other than running.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 17:37   #14

Thank you all for your answers. That was helpful. I would love to find someone who actually has had experience sailing this boat, but I know they are pretty rare.
Old 21-04-2020, 18:29   #15

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Another boat to consider in the same "realm" would be Seaward/Hake yachts, which make a variety of 22-46 ft. boats, all either very shoal draft or centerboard/daggerboard configurations. The difference with those boats, especially the shoal draft versions like the 23, is that they practically do not have a keel at ALL, and are extremely tender. The Island Packet will still sail decently in a good breeze due to the keel being the length of the boat.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft, island packet