Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2015, 11:00   #121

Re: Island packet 38 is this a good liveaboard/cruiser/coastal...bluewater sailboat?

Pesky? I LIKE pesky.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 22-12-2015, 11:05   #122

Re: Island packet 38 is this a good liveaboard/cruiser/coastal...bluewater sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post

I would not station my sailboat anywhere where i see the remote possibility of anyone hitting my sailboat.

I would not station my sailboat anywhere where a sailboat or any craft has to come by my way to exit or enter. I would inconvenience myself rather than to place my home at risk, period. Sure you have rights, and so did the guy who got killed because he wanted his right of way... he got his right of way alright; dead!
Yes, I understand care. This is just some more utter nonsense. And not germane to my situation either.

Believe it or not, when you're out on your boat there may be/are OTHER PEOPLE OUT ON THEIR BOATS, doin' the same thing you are: sailing.

Sheez, just some unrealistic stuff again.

Maybe it's the translation, I just don't get this approach of "what you, who has never sailed" would do.

I've (we've) been trying to help you.

This response is not helpful at all. I found it offensive.
Old 22-12-2015, 11:15   #123

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, Stu,

Perhaps Capt. Rican believes that there is so much space to anchor in good protection and isolation that it is possible to find anchorages with no other boats around at all. Surely it is in some high latitude areas, but highly unlikely in major urban areas.

Apparently, he is not as willing to learn as he alleges. Or perhaps his belief in instant karma is such that he "knows" that all will always be well for him. Wouldn't that be comforting?

Makes me think of the saying, "trust in Allah, but hobble your camel at night."

Hope the insurance fixes your boat soon.

Ann
Old 22-12-2015, 11:21   #124

Thanks, Ann. Musta been the bloody camel after all.
Old 22-12-2015, 11:30   #125
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Lizzy, hi again. You don't need a printer, you can, most likely, go to the Print version of the screen and then CTRL A (select all) and cut & paste it into a word processing program and save the file with anything you like for a name. When I do this, I always cut & paste the URL, too, so I can get back to it. Or you could just Bookmark it. Lotsa ways to do it.

Good ideea, this one's a classic.

Classic???

Maybe Capt Rican would like a taste of Scoobert:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...fl-111080.html

and his own BLOG. Yikes!

S/V Union Pacific

CR, maybe you'll understand why we're suggesting you slow down.

Yex, this dude DID get to Florida.

Interestingly enough, he hit EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE POTHOLES we told him he would hit, but he said he KNEW BETTER.

He's still messing around with his stupid electrical system and wondering what kind of batteries he should buy even after we told him a blinkin' year ago what his options were. He ignored all of us, got the wrong kind and is paying the consequences.

Hell, it's HIS wallet.

I should have patented/copyrighted this years ago:

Your boat, your choice.

The kicker here, though is:

Why reinvent the blinkin' wheel???

Good luck, CR, we're still here for ya.
This me again, so please forgive me if i am coming across wrong...

Hey thanks, i know you are here for me, and i am appreciative of everything it is afforded here for me to learn from.

Perhaps the fact that i am an islander, that i grew up in an island, that the ocean and the sea used to be my playgrounds, that i went to sleep with the sun and rose with the sun, maybe, that has something to do with the way i see life, versus the way you see everything.

When i tell someone the ways to go and it chooses a different way and fails, i do not rejoice in his demise or puff myself up in disdain for my perceived disregard and slight. No, i feel sad for him and instead i will seek to help him, again and again.

You guys! I thank you that you care, we all care in different ways and show it in different ways.

I have slowed down a whole lot.
Not buying a sailboat in Michigan.
Moving to Florida and then going looking at sailboats.
Buying in Florida
taking my time to look at many sailboats
Taking lessons first

So you see you Romantic devils!
You did make a difference in my plans

Now go drink a beer and relax

Thanks
Old 22-12-2015, 11:46   #126

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post
I would not station my sailboat anywhere where i see the remote possibility of anyone hitting my sailboat.
I would not station my sailboat anywhere where a sailboat or any craft has to come by my way to exit or enter.
Kind Sir, I beg of you ...
Tell me please, where is this planet you speak of?
Old 22-12-2015, 11:52   #127

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Any concept can be justify, even murphy's laws...but so can others...I rather choose the best concept...
CR, I guess I wasn't clear. The reason I suggested you read that particular thread, "Murphy's Marine Laws" was for you to get a feel for some of the unanticipated things that happen while you're sailing or fixing your boat. The thread is actually a bit of a chuckle, in the same way the thread on "macguyvering" was. In the same wry humor that led the Portuguese to come up with this proverb: "The wind always blows from the bows".

Ann
Old 22-12-2015, 12:00   #128

Ann explained "Murphy's Law", I'll take

romanticize
rə(ʊ)ˈmantɪsʌɪz
verb
gerund or present participle: romanticizing
deal with or describe in an idealized or unrealistic fashion; make (something) seem better or more appealing than it really is.

That's all
Old 22-12-2015, 12:17   #129
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Ann explained "Murphy's Law", I'll take

romanticize
rə(ʊ)ˈmantɪsʌɪz
verb
gerund or present participle: romanticizing
deal with or describe in an idealized or unrealistic fashion; make (something) seem better or more appealing than it really is.

That's all
That's a subjective definition. What's unrealistic to you may not be unrealistic to me. What it seems better than, to you may not be better than, to me, what may seem appealing to you may not be appealing to me or vice versa.

I once was told that i would not make it to Guajataca lake from Mayaguez on my mountain bike with knobby tires taking the mountainous way.

I was a romantic, when i said that i wanted to see the dew and the fog rising from the earth in the morning as i went from one mountain passage to the next, just like you, they laughed, too hard they said. no way. I did it and i brought pictures of the gorgeous mountain passages that they had never seen or would never see besides my pictures. That was like 20 years ago.

What a romantic Christopher Columbus must have been to stand in front of a Queen and sell her on the idea of far away places and grandiose treasures. What a nonsense!! That Queen was crazy to give away a Pearson 323 to a Romantic like that crazy guy, Right?
Old 22-12-2015, 12:23   #130
cruiser

Quote:
Kind Sir, I beg of you ...
Tell me please, where is this planet you speak of?
Well my dear romantic lover, i will tell you someday when i am out there roaming the seas, and i find all those nice secret secluded places and i am forced to tell you all of my secrets. and no, that's not you beating a dead horse, that's yopu beating the secrets out of me!

Till then hang in there ol' gal, hang in there!
Old 22-12-2015, 12:31   #131
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Well, Stu,

Perhaps Capt. Rican believes that there is so much space to anchor in good protection and isolation that it is possible to find anchorages with no other boats around at all. Surely it is in some high latitude areas, but highly unlikely in major urban areas.

Apparently, he is not as willing to learn as he alleges. Or perhaps his belief in instant karma is such that he "knows" that all will always be well for him. Wouldn't that be comforting?

Makes me think of the saying, "trust in Allah, but hobble your camel at night."

Hope the insurance fixes your boat soon.

Ann

No, I trust that by making friends of my neighbors that they are going to keep my camel safe at night, much better than trusting whoever that guy is.

LOL! Well, if as they say is true then i am doing "all well" "the best determinant of future performance is past performance" then i am doing ok.

My karma is working.
That's good!
Old 22-12-2015, 12:34   #132

Okay, whatever you say

Ima gonna watch In The Heart Of The Sea, which has magically found its way onto my harddrive

(In the Heart of the Sea (2015) - IMDb)

Hope the cat is willing to share "her" bed with me so I can get comfy ...

Some people may romanticize living with a feline, but it's a constant battle of wills - and I'm not winning many
Old 22-12-2015, 12:37   #133
cruiser

Quote:
Okay, whatever you say

Ima gonna watch In The Heart Of The Sea, which has magically found its way onto my harddrive

(In the Heart of the Sea (2015) - IMDb)
A whaling ship sunk by a pissed off whale? How about "Planet earth" or "the blue seas" or "our incredible planet"

Do you ever sail? You seem to always parked here...
Old 22-12-2015, 12:39   #134

I know. Winter blues, they're horrible. But it'll be spring soon enough

There's a couple of months the weather is crap, which makes it perfect time for maintenance.
During that time, boats sometimes lack a few vital parts that are being worked on.
Hence the stuck-in-a-slip mood.

As to sailing: closest option here is the North Sea, where I do not want to be in this weather.

Watching some people drown hopefully cheers me up haha!
Old 22-12-2015, 12:52   #135
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Yes, I understand care. This is just some more utter nonsense. And not germane to my situation either.

Believe it or not, when you're out on your boat there may be/are OTHER PEOPLE OUT ON THEIR BOATS, doin' the same thing you are: sailing.

Sheez, just some unrealistic stuff again.

Maybe it's the translation, I just don't get this approach of "what you, who has never sailed" would do.

I've (we've) been trying to help you.

This response is not helpful at all. I found it offensive.
No offense intended my friend, and i am apologetic if i made you feel offended.

But you did parked the sailboat in an area where others had to come by you increasing that possibility.

However, what others do is what others do, i have seen jetskis smack into others, i never have and i have been in some congested lakes and i have had jetskis all of my adult life, then why is it that some people seem to never have any problems and others seem to always be in the middle of it?

Some people are willing to avoid problems at all cost while others seem to not. Some people are willing to yield for the sake of avoiding, others stand their grounds and fight for their perceived rights. Its a matter of perspective and perceptions, i am all for avoiding so i am very vigilant.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, island packet, liveaboard, sail, sailboat, water