Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2015, 00:13   #106

Re: Island packet 38 is this a good liveaboard/cruiser/coastal...bluewater sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post
I think is better to be extremely responsible and safe and prudent and stay away from others?

I read that when on the hook you are for the most part away from others? and only go to the Marina in the dinghy?

I really want to be away from everyone and anything that can think.

Solitude! Peace! Serenity! calmness!
What utter foolish nonsense. Please, please, please AGAIN, refrain from fantsizing about stuff. Like I said before: YET.

Why?

"Cuz I was at anchor on Nov. 20th when some bozo hit me at 1930 hours. Slammed, bammed, thanked you'd Mam, no sh*t Charlie right into my midships starboard side.

This was NOT fun. Two stanchions, both upper & lower lifelines, two big gouges in the gunwale with his blinkin' blue paint...

But, the REALITY, CR, is that I must be apportioned part of the consequences.

You DO NOT KNOW THAT.

Yet.

Please, can you understand why given my recent experience with over 35 years boating here and 10 YEARS almost monthly in THAT particular anchorage, this jerk slams into me.

Stop the bleedin' romanticizing.

Please.

It is simply unrealistic and wrong.

Again, and I'll do this again. Stop, take a deep breath and chill, mon.

I ain't takin' it personally, you unnerstan...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 22-12-2015, 00:30   #107

Re: Island packet 38 is this a good liveaboard/cruiser/coastal...bluewater sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
If I had room for a printer on this tub I'd go buy one just for this post
Lizzy, hi again. You don't need a printer, you can, most likely, go to the Print version of the screen and then CTRL A (select all) and cut & paste it into a word processing program and save the file with anything you like for a name. When I do this, I always cut & paste the URL, too, so I can get back to it. Or you could just Bookmark it. Lotsa ways to do it.

Good ideea, this one's a classic.

Classic???

Maybe Capt Rican would like a taste of Scoobert:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...fl-111080.html

and his own BLOG. Yikes!

S/V Union Pacific

CR, maybe you'll understand why we're suggesting you slow down.

Yex, this dude DID get to Florida.

Interestingly enough, he hit EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE POTHOLES we told him he would hit, but he said he KNEW BETTER.

He's still messing around with his stupid electrical system and wondering what kind of batteries he should buy even after we told him a blinkin' year ago what his options were. He ignored all of us, got the wrong kind and is paying the consequences.

Hell, it's HIS wallet.

I should have patented/copyrighted this years ago:

Your boat, your choice.

The kicker here, though is:

Why reinvent the blinkin' wheel???

Good luck, CR, we're still here for ya.
Old 22-12-2015, 00:39   #108

Boat: Ohlson 29

Thx Stu! I do the print-but-save trick already, but I just feel like hanging some wisdom on my wall
(Yes, I said "wall" - cos I dunno what the English term is for that particular piece of wood )

I saw CR post elsewhere on the forum he doesn't like being accused of being a romantic - I don't have in in me to explain "accused" and especially the difference between being a romantic and romanticizing something. Maybe someone else slept better then I did .. Damn wind, I want off this tub! Haha!

(Please, CR, please tell me you had one too many and you do know the difference .. ).

A quiet place to anchor ... Yeah, there are still a few of those around.
Few and far between, sadly, and even if you do find one, Murphy will make sure some j***a** in a powerboat and a huge stereo will throw his anchor on top yours and open the first of many, many beers.

Pretty sure that doesn't just happen to me.

My previous boat was rammed by a big motorboat while I was on the hook. Two hooks, even, so I wasn't going anywhere fast. No insurance, so my problem ... Plastic makes horrible cracking noises when a steel boat motors into you. Twice. Because wind? What is that? Full throttle fixes everything, right?

Old 22-12-2015, 00:47   #109

Quote:
Thx Stu!

Few and far between, sadly, and even if you do find one, Murphy will make sure some j***a** in a powerboat and a huge stereo will throw his anchor on top yours and open the first of many, many beers.
Yup, you're right. The guy who hit me was in a C&C32!!!

He said he was "too busy getting ready to sail" (all in the 300 feet from the dock to me!!!), when in reality he'd just left the bar in the yacht club with his gf, He'd been there from around 1700 to when he left and hit me at 1930. Do the math!!! At least one beer, smelled like a lot more than beer and more than one.

Verdict's out until the insur co does it's thing, we're both with the same carrier.

Pray for me. Pul...eeze.... Hey, where's zee when ya need her?

Thanks, Lizzie, I've had the mobos, too, but the one before was a Hunter 32 who didn't know HE was dragging, he thought I was crabbing UPSTREAM AND UPWIND with my anchor still in one place. As he went by my cockpit in HIS cockpit. Funny now, not then.

BTDT.

Rican, eventually, you'll "get it."

Keep dreamin', though, never lose that aspect of this adventure called life.
Old 22-12-2015, 00:54   #110

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Yup, you're right. The guy who hit me was in a C&C32!!!
Oh noes!

Quote:
Pray for me. Pul...eeze.... Hey, where's zee when ya need her?
I shall do as requested Not funny this sh*t.

Quote:
he thought I was crabbing UPSTREAM AND UPWIND with my anchor still in one place. As he went by my cockpit in HIS cockpit. Funny now, not then.
Sorry - that last bit made me laugh

He saw you going upstream and upwind and thought "the force - it is strong with this one! Wow!".

Hope the insurance thing gets sorted soon, that crap does take the fun out of it
Old 22-12-2015, 01:36   #111

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Stu,

I feel for you. We were t-boned earlier this year by an uninsured person who had been observed partying. In that event, it all got fixed, but there were some very puckery moments involved!

Also, have had the boat dragging down on us accuse us of dragging upwind. People are slow to realize what is really happening. They don't get it when you say you can't drag upwind. Our fellow man is a remarkable critter, eh?

Cheers mate, and i hope the insurance comes through for you as it should.

Ann
Old 22-12-2015, 01:38   #112

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

To Capt. Rican,

If you want a peek at what some of us think boating is like, take a look at the thread, "Murphy's Marine Laws".

Ann
Old 22-12-2015, 09:24   #113
cruiser

Quote:
What utter foolish nonsense. Please, please, please AGAIN, refrain from fantsizing about stuff. Like I said before: YET.

Why?

"Cuz I was at anchor on Nov. 20th when some bozo hit me at 1930 hours. Slammed, bammed, thanked you'd Mam, no sh*t Charlie right into my midships starboard side.

This was NOT fun. Two stanchions, both upper & lower lifelines, two big gouges in the gunwale with his blinkin' blue paint...

But, the REALITY, CR, is that I must be apportioned part of the consequences.

You DO NOT KNOW THAT.

Yet.

Please, can you understand why given my recent experience with over 35 years boating here and 10 YEARS almost monthly in THAT particular anchorage, this jerk slams into me.

Stop the bleedin' romanticizing.

Please.

It is simply unrealistic and wrong.

Again, and I'll do this again. Stop, take a deep breath and chill, mon.

I ain't takin' it personally, you unnerstan...
I am really sorry that someone hit your sailboat! I hope that you are ok and that you were able to repair it.

I had a friend, i keep my distance from him now, who, because of how he is and how he conducts himself is always bringing bad karma to himself. Sometimes things are not accidental?

Which brings me to my dear neighbor, always pissed at everybody, everything bothers him, nobody likes him and then he wonders why his car gets broken into and people do bad things to him out of no where. I have lived here as long as him and i have never had anything happen. Just a thought.

If one have lived for 20 years peacefully somewhere and then one day a coconut falls on your head? Then there is no reason to be so bother. 99% out of a 100% are great odds, i will take those odds.

Again, glad to know that you are well and safe! Thanks for your thoughts they are well taken! I learn from everything and everybody! Thanks...
Old 22-12-2015, 09:34   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post
I am really sorry that someone hit your sailboat! I hope that you are ok and that you were able to repair it.

I had a friend, i keep my distance from him now, who because of how he is and how he conducts himself is always bringing bad karma to himself. Sometimes things are not accidental?

If one have lived for 20 years peacefully somewhere and then one day a coconut falls on your head? Then there is no reason to be so bother. 99% out of a 100% are great odds, i will take those odds.
CR, thanks for your good wishes. Yes, no one was hurt, except the other guy's pride. Repair authorization awaits insur co.

Karma, Sorry, nope, it don't work that way, even here in N California!

Coconuts? Sorry, again, nope. The other guy was NOT looking where he was going when he left the dock. Like I said, I've been anchoring there for over 10 years, day & night.

This was NOT an accident, it was plain stupidity on his part. He was NOT looking where he was going. He even told me he'd seen me when he was coming in (at dusk, a few hours before), and then said, really,: "I thought you'd left by now."

Jerk.

Thanks again.
Old 22-12-2015, 09:39   #115

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
You know your sailing abilities already? Then why take lessons at all? Sounds to me like you're ready to start cruising.

You do NOT know your abilities, sorry ... You need to at least get out there and actually sail -different boats under different conditions- before you can say that - and buy the right boat which is set up for solo sailing.

Do you know how to tell if a boat is set up for sailing solo? Can you tell when you look at the pics in those ads what you can do from the cockpit?
There's plenty of ads which state 'perfect for sailing solo' but they leave out the 'if you only use your genoa' part, for instance. Can you tell from the pics or when you're looking at a boat how easy or hard it is to reef the main?

What is your idea of sailing solo on an angry sea or ocean? How will you deal with seasickness (which you are likely to get on a sailboat), the cold, the lack of sleep etc.? Cos there's no pause button to hit, no one to hand you a coffee, no one to help you with even the smallest thing. And if you're so wet, cold, tired and sick you don't care you should reef - enjoy the knock-down, they're fun ...

Traveling to another island 65nm away does not compare to sailing in any way. Sorry

I've been re-reading what's been posted in some of your many threads, and all put together it is somewhat confusing and it looks to me -tho I could be wrong, that happens sometimes - like you're more or less running away from your current life as you're not really happy.

You've talked about how you hate 'dirt people', how society 'sucks' and how moving to the water where all the amazing boat people are will make you happy - you even dedicated a topic to your soul being whole again once you're living afloat.

You've never been sailing, you're 100% focused on what boat can do what you want (which, to be honest, is nothing any well built boat can't do) and because you don't know much about sail(ing) boats or the life afloat, you're bouncing all over the place looking for "the perfect boat" with no idea how to determine what would actually make a good boat.

You say your budget is 10-15K and you're looking at boats with asking prices around 15-20k - so you want to max out your budget to buy a few more feet - and then what?
How will you pay for the upgrades? Marina / slip / mooring costs? Insurance? Etc., etc.

I have seen you ask a lot about "the perfect boat", but nothing about the life afloat. Finding a boat is easy, adapting to a life afloat is a lot harder. It's not a magic world with unicorns and fluffy bunnies.
Life aboard can be tough and liveaboards come in all shapes and sizes, just like the 'dirt people' you said you didn't like (hate is a nasty word, imho).

How will you deal with a boat when everything breaks? And it will, no matter how great a boat you buy. How will you deal with not sleeping cos of the wind and the not so gently rocking boat? How much will you enjoy life on a boat when it's cold, mold takes over and you can't find that one damn leak that's turning your berth into some sort of Chinese water torture device?

Have you considered that many of the magic water people on boats are usually couples who are simply living their lives, and won't always be waiting to entertain a somewhat lonely single hander? Same for other single liveaboards, by the way. Or that your neighbors in the marina may not be nice folks at all?

You want to live life on the hook, which isn't an easy life on a small boat. Now, on the hard, getting up in the morning, taking a shower and brushing your teeth takes about 15 minutes. On the hook, it'll be an hour. You may think that doesn't matter cos there's no job to get to (?), but let me tell you: it gets old pretty damn quick. Esp on those days you are in a hurry, your dinghy's outboard won't start and all the showers are taken when you finally do get there. You go back to the boat to sort-of clean yourself up there ... but damn, you just ran out of water.

You have a very romantic idea about living on the water and sailing, and some early memories of being out on the water that you feel will become a reality again when you're on your boat. You might be up for a rude awakening, I'm afraid, if you won't keep both your feet on the ground.

You're getting some very good advice from people who are living the life and know exactly what they're talking about. You're telling them they're wrong, or at least that for some reason, it doesn't apply to you -- which is of course fine if that's how you feel, but in the long run it'll serve you much better to at least think about what some of them have told you. They're trying to help you make the best choices you can and get at least one of your feet back on the ground.
what she said. cpt rican, i say this with no intent to offend but after reading all of your posts i see you as far from ever enjoying the life of full time boating.
Old 22-12-2015, 10:09   #116
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
To Capt. Rican,

If you want a peek at what some of us think boating is like, take a look at the thread, "Murphy's Marine Laws".

Ann
When i was in the military, which i loved so much, it was some of the best of times...there were those who spent their days hating the military and slamming it at every chance they got. They were the ones always telling you how this sucked or that sucked, how they were going to get out and f this and f that and that was their vein. They never were chosen for anything good, they never were promoted, and they were chosen to do the worst. Which then of course justified their own ideas.

Then there were those that for some reason they were happy, positive, pro-active and can do. They enjoyed what they did, were there because they wanted to rather than because of circumstances in their lives, and were there to grow, they had a plan. Everybody had something positive to say about them, you could count on them, they were promoted and did well, hence this contributed to their justification of their ideas.

Any concept can be justify, even murphy's laws...but so can others...I rather choose the best concept...
Old 22-12-2015, 10:14   #117
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
what she said. cpt rican, i say this with no intent to offend but after reading all of your posts i see you as far from ever enjoying the life of full time boating.
Thank you sir! I will take your thoughts into consideration.

However much i differ...
Old 22-12-2015, 10:24   #118

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

[QUOTE=WindwardPrinces;1991320]Are you really going to inquire about every boat?

There is enough difference between the Catalina 30, the Pearson 323, and the Island Packet 38 that you should just spend more time using the search function, and less time inquiring about boats.
QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Lizzy Belle;1991425]Okay ... I'm going to be brutally honest now.

Just yesterday, you were absolutely 100% sure the only boat for you was the Pearson 323; you barely wanted to hear about the possibility of looking at other boats around 30-32 feet.

This morning, you wanted a 35' boat because you somehow decided 32' is too small for you.

Now you want a 38' Island Packet - for $10-15k?

An IP38 will cost you around $115,000 - not $15,000.
Excluding upgrades etc.

My advice: take a step back, breathe ... and go sailing first.
See if you even like it
/QUOTE]

I think we have Mods if there is a problem with the way an OP is posting. Maybe your expertise would be appreciated on another thread. Up to you. Maybe if you put a little time under your belts on this forum, you'll see a little more tolerance.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 22-12-2015, 10:26   #119
cruiser

Quote:
CR, thanks for your good wishes. Yes, no one was hurt, except the other guy's pride. Repair authorization awaits insur co.

Karma, Sorry, nope, it don't work that way, even here in N California!

Coconuts? Sorry, again, nope. The other guy was NOT looking where he was going when he left the dock. Like I said, I've been anchoring there for over 10 years, day & night.

This was NOT an accident, it was plain stupidity on his part. He was NOT looking where he was going. He even told me he'd seen me when he was coming in (at dusk, a few hours before), and then said, really,: "I thought you'd left by now."

Jerk.

Thanks again.
This is the way i think and again no offense as to how anyone else sees it.

I would not station my sailboat anywhere where i see the remote possibility of anyone hitting my sailboat.

I would not station my sailboat anywhere where a sailboat or any craft has to come by my way to exit or enter. I would inconvenience myself rather than to place my home at risk, period. Sure you have rights, and so did the guy who got killed because he wanted his right of way... he got his right of way alright; dead!

But, now that you made mention of it i am even more resolute to be extremely careful and i thank you for the info, I take no offense to style or personality my friend, i wean that which serves no purpose and i consume that which serves a purpose.

I will most certainly be careful out there, i want nothing to do with filing insurance claims, that's counter productive to my endeavors.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 22-12-2015, 10:55   #120
cruiser

Quote:
Thx Stu! I do the print-but-save trick already, but I just feel like hanging some wisdom on my wall
(Yes, I said "wall" - cos I dunno what the English term is for that particular piece of wood )

I saw CR post elsewhere on the forum he doesn't like being accused of being a romantic - I don't have in in me to explain "accused" and especially the difference between being a romantic and romanticizing something. Maybe someone else slept better then I did .. Damn wind, I want off this tub! Haha!

(Please, CR, please tell me you had one too many and you do know the difference .. ).

Pretty sure that doesn't just happen to me.

My previous boat was rammed by a big motorboat while I was on the hook. Two hooks, even, so I wasn't going anywhere fast. No insurance, so my problem ... Plastic makes horrible cracking noises when a steel boat motors into you. Twice. Because wind? What is that? Full throttle fixes everything, right?

But my dear Romantics!

I have also heard of people on the hook for 40 years, and many of them who don't have the stories that you have. I have heard of many people living and raising their whole families at sea and living aboard and none tell of these magnificent, horrific, heart pounding, murphy's law episodes you are talking about. I am sorry.

Case in point my loving neighbor. He asks about riding lawnmowers, he asks in specific about John Deeres, he is told the difference between the heavy duty and entry level types. He goes and buys an entry level and then fails in the maintenance department, the lawnmower develop problem, he is not happy, oh wait, no that's Murphy's laws. Really?

Don't take me wrong, i do appreciate your input and i do take it in as warnings as to what can or could or will happen out there to me and it is a heads up. But i also look at those who seem to live their lives and are living their lives the way i would like to live mine, in peace.

I do not plan to be in a marina any longer than what i have to be. I heard he who masters sailing have the keys to the sea. Ooops! Sorry that's romantic. Sorry, i meant to write; those who learn how to sail well can go any where they want. There i took that pesky romanticism out.

Also, if i am enjoying a place of solitude and Mr. Let's party drops his anchor on top of me, then i have choices, don't I? I either engage the guy and start a fight, and accept the unknown consequences of that, or i can pull my anchor, and go somewhere else and be at peace, or i can hop over to his party boat, drink his beer, look at his women and party with him and when done pull my anchor and go my way.

We all have choices...

If i want to diminish the chances (probabilities) of something happening then I have to diminish my exposure to it.

Thanks!
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, island packet, liveaboard, sail, sailboat, water