Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2015, 19:00   #91
cruiser

Re: Island packet 38 is this a good liveaboard/cruiser/coastal...bluewater sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Well, i disagree. Being in my 70s and having attended too many funerals, the best thing to do is just jump in with both feet and do it. It will refresh your life. The change will bring you challenges you never experienced before, and that is about as close to an elixor of eternal youth that you will ever get in this lifetime.
That's the spirit that i am talking about... Gosh... the youngins won't understand... you must taste death to know living....
Old 20-12-2015, 20:38   #92

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Re: Island packet 38 is this a good liveaboard/cruiser/coastal...bluewater sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post
That's the spirit that i am talking about... Gosh... the youngins won't understand... you must taste death to know living....
The passion for sailing and the sea is clear. I understand that passion.

What I've never understood is when people wax poetic about themselves 'dying doing something they loved'. To me that's what friends and family say to help console themselves when tragedy strikes. I've always felt saying that myself would leave the impression I took the risks too lightly and likely increase the resentment those left behind might feel if something happened. It feels too cavalier to me.

I also think it would reduce the amount of risk assessment I do before taking on tasks with more risk. I'm concerned it drives a mindset where 'fate' has more to do with it than my preparation. I've know a few pilots who've died in accidents and Im convinced their last thoughts weren't, 'At least I'm doing something I loved'.

Realize that this comes from someone who loves bluewater sailing. I've actually come to prefer longer ocean crossings to coastal cruising. It also comes from someone who's flown and maintained my own aircraft for almost 20 yrs including aerobatics. I take risks, but I also spend a lot of time evaluating those risks and thinking about concepts such as 'layers of protection', contingencies and mitigation. To me those don't reduce the romance or enjoyment of these activities but add to them.

I'd actually prefer that if something happened to me, friends and family recognize that I f$&ed up. Understand that I made an error, exceeded my capabilities, misjudged, missed a maintenance item, misread a forecast, ignored a warning sign, etc, etc, etc, so that others learn from it rather than celebrating it as 'doing something I loved'. But know I wasn't being cavalier.

Like I said. I love the passion, I know the romance, I recognize the risks and accept them as part of what I do, but I don't let that cloud my efforts to minimize them to the greatest extent I can.

Just my two cents.
Old 20-12-2015, 21:04   #93

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Nice post, Hobie!

Jim
Old 20-12-2015, 21:17   #94

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie_ind View Post
Just my two cents.
If I had room for a printer on this tub I'd go buy one just for this post
Old 20-12-2015, 23:01   #95
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
Capt Rico, Lizzy Belle may have gone further in her analysis of your motivations than the data you have provided warrants, but she is spot on with all she has pointed out regarding the extensive variety of issues that you are facing. Others have also given you good advice about settling back and getting realistic about what you are proposing, except for the two folks who encouraged you to sail single-handed down the east coast to the Caribbean by saying that they had done so. Yes, it's possible, but extremely unrealistic and unsafe for a person who has not yet learned to sail a boat single-handed in "controllable" circumstances. Ask those two what their sailing resume was before they did this. Ask them what their training and preparation was. Ask them how much they had invested in their boats and what their annual maintenance budget is. And then ask them if they would trust you to sail their boats single-handed down the east coast of the USA to the Caribbean.

You have admirable enthusiasm for the cruising life, but at this point you know too little about boats and even more importantly, too little about sailing to be able to realistically assess your readiness to set out on a single-handed cruise down the Atlantic coast in an old and undoubtedly ill-equipped boat. Take it slower. Boats and water will still be there when you are (realistically) ready.

I am grateful for the sound advice.
I have decided to move to Florida first and then start looking at a sailboat to start my new life.

I agree with you all, it is suicidal to attempt a trip such as, without the proper experience. In view of the uproar I am changing my plans and stepping back a bit and regrouping.

I will keep you posted as to how everything goes once i get there and start my plan. Thank you for caring!
Thank you very much!
Old 20-12-2015, 23:04   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post

Edit - Stu, I just noticed the Rocna 10 in your sig. You happy with it?
I'm thinking of going with exactly that model for my boat too.
Response to lizzy:

Here's how I selected my anchor size:

Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6) & Why Swivels are a bad idea Ground Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & Swivels

ONLY to answer her question, off topic perhaps.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 20-12-2015, 23:07   #97
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie_ind View Post
The passion for sailing and the sea is clear. I understand that passion.

What I've never understood is when people wax poetic about themselves 'dying doing something they loved'. To me that's what friends and family say to help console themselves when tragedy strikes. I've always felt saying that myself would leave the impression I took the risks too lightly and likely increase the resentment those left behind might feel if something happened. It feels too cavalier to me.

I also think it would reduce the amount of risk assessment I do before taking on tasks with more risk. I'm concerned it drives a mindset where 'fate' has more to do with it than my preparation. I've know a few pilots who've died in accidents and Im convinced their last thoughts weren't, 'At least I'm doing something I loved'.

Realize that this comes from someone who loves bluewater sailing. I've actually come to prefer longer ocean crossings to coastal cruising. It also comes from someone who's flown and maintained my own aircraft for almost 20 yrs including aerobatics. I take risks, but I also spend a lot of time evaluating those risks and thinking about concepts such as 'layers of protection', contingencies and mitigation. To me those don't reduce the romance or enjoyment of these activities but add to them.

I'd actually prefer that if something happened to me, friends and family recognize that I f$&ed up. Understand that I made an error, exceeded my capabilities, misjudged, missed a maintenance item, misread a forecast, ignored a warning sign, etc, etc, etc, so that others learn from it rather than celebrating it as 'doing something I loved'. But know I wasn't being cavalier.

Like I said. I love the passion, I know the romance, I recognize the risks and accept them as part of what I do, but I don't let that cloud my efforts to minimize them to the greatest extent I can.

Just my two cents.
Old 21-12-2015, 08:21   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
So is Letcher's "Self Steering For Small Boats."
Ann, good idea, Capt R this is a classic book that everyone should read. I just learned last week that it is available online, the out of print hard copy is $100 dog eared used!!!!

Here: Self-steering for Sailing Craft

The book is great 'cuz it explains a LOT of the sailboat balance BS in plain English and also teaches you how to make your boat steer better.

Priceless info.

Only now available at a good price, too.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 21-12-2015, 08:24   #99

Boat: Ohlson 29

Thanks, Stu!
And sorry for the side-step, all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Ann, good idea, Capt R this is a classic book that everyone should read.
I'll third that recommendation
Very much worth the read.
Old 21-12-2015, 09:12   #100

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Another suggestion.

Get a large liability insurance policy. I don't know what your net worth is but if you ding a 3 million dollar yacht with no insurance it will be gone. I saw a 23-25 foot sailboat get out of control in the current in Georgia and he bounced off 4 boats, doing significant damage to 2 of them and just scratching the paint on the other 2. Nice boats but not huge fancy ones. I would be amazed if less than $30,000 changed hands in that deal with insurance involved. If no insurance your lawyer cost can easily be twenty grand just managing the losses.... added to what the other boat owners get to repair their boats.
Old 21-12-2015, 09:26   #101

skip the liability. most folks are not worth suing. pretty easy to make yourself lawsuit proof. You may need basic liability insurance to stay at various marinas and perhaps when visiting some foreign places but BoatUS has access to some very affordable policies. Which reminds me, join Boat US for the insurance and definitely join the Seven Seas Cruisers Association for a lot of stuff like maps, contacts, access to yacht clubs, etc. Cheap and well worth it.
Old 21-12-2015, 11:54   #102
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Ann, good idea, Capt R this is a classic book that everyone should read. I just learned last week that it is available online, the out of print hard copy is $100 dog eared used!!!!

Here: Self-steering for Sailing Craft

The book is great 'cuz it explains a LOT of the sailboat balance BS in plain English and also teaches you how to make your boat steer better.

Priceless info.

Only now available at a good price, too.
Thank you very much, i got it now in my bookmarked saved sites and i am going to read it whole little by little.

I just got another book in the mail "Marine Diesel Engines" by Nigel Calder, third edition, i believe someone suggested it here also.

Thank you
Old 21-12-2015, 12:05   #103
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
skip the liability. most folks are not worth suing. pretty easy to make yourself lawsuit proof. You may need basic liability insurance to stay at various marinas and perhaps when visiting some foreign places but BoatUS has access to some very affordable policies. Which reminds me, join Boat US for the insurance and definitely join the Seven Seas Cruisers Association for a lot of stuff like maps, contacts, access to yacht clubs, etc. Cheap and well worth it.
Thank you very much, that's another aspect of buying a sailboat that i just started to scratch the surface, insurance.

But how do you make yourself lawsuit proof? By not having anything that they can take?
I think is better to be extremely responsible and safe and prudent and stay away from others?

I read that when on the hook you are for the most part away from others? and only go to the Marina in the dinghy?

I really want to be away from everyone and anything that can think.

Solitude! Peace! Serenity! calmness!
Old 21-12-2015, 12:10   #104
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
Nobody is telling you you can't do any of this. We are telling you to do your homework. You may become a brilliant boat engineer. But you are talking about living a life that you have no experience in and we are all urging you to just slow down a bit and take things one step at a time. I cannot tell you the number of already experienced liveaboard/cruisers I have met who told me that they thought they were going to retire and live aboard, and after 3 years were calling it quits. We are just suggesting that you approach this major life change with caution. Good luck!

Thank you very much! I forgot if i already thank you, but i wanted to say that everyone here and including you have helped me very much to address many issues that i had and many misgivings. I appreciate all of the advice very much!!!!!!
Old 21-12-2015, 12:16   #105
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Just a thought, Capt. Rican, but you might enjoy the reading on the threads about docking your boat singlehanded. There are some pretty creative, non-intuitive skills you can read about there.

If you like books, something like "The 12 Volt Doctor" is a nice beginning. So is Letcher's "Self Steering For Small Boats."

I agree with what was written above, to go with the smallest boat you can. It saves you money on all parts, it is easier to cope with in the boat yard, and the sail handling is easier because the sails are lighter. Go to a boat yard in the spring, with a sanding block in your hand see how big the boats look, compared to the sanding block.

I really don't know how much they cost, but there are some British boats that are real cruising boats, and under 30 ft. The CF member "weavis" wrote that he bought one for his nephew. You can search on "pocket cruisers", and look at sailboatdata.com for specs. There's lots out there -- often we recommend anything by Evans or Beth Starzinger, lots and lots! Evans had a thread here a while back where he was load testing soft shackles, for instance, and another one about how to make your own tether, as the ready made ones are not well made, and may break during your use.

Your writing style makes you sound like you want everything YESTERDAY, but even the preliminary reading takes time, and developing skill does, too. That's not to worry about, but just to be aware of.
Ann

I like reading and i am open for suggestions about literature, books, sites that can help me expand my horizons.

Thank you for all the suggestions and i am taking it all in and i am morphin my plan as i get more and more information and become more aware of the demands and risks...thanks to all of you!!
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, island packet, liveaboard, sail, sailboat, water