Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2015, 22:02   #61

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Island packet 38 is this a good liveaboard/cruiser/coastal...bluewater sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post
That's too small, i think, for me...but we will see.
That boat is a lot roomier than you might think!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 19-12-2015, 22:50   #62

Boat: Spacesailer 20
Re: Island packet 38 is this a good liveaboard/cruiser/coastal...bluewater sailboat?

I followed a guy's blog a couple of years ago who had similar passion to the OP. He spent about 2 years prepping his boat and as the time came he made meticulous posts about his preparations. He shoved off and found out he wasn't as prepared as he thought. After his solar array failed, his auto pilot stopped working and the day after day exhaustion of sailing an average of 3NM caught up to him and when the seas and breeze finally kicked up he was unable to cope. With his sails shredded, he was towed into port. He sold the boat for less than half what he paid for it and went back with the 'dirt people'. What is the moral of the story? Go crew on a boat. Invest time in the task to make a wise decision. Go hang out on the dock and marina. Someone, if you don't have an acerbic personality, will take you onboard and teach you for the cost of the time and maybe a beer or twelve. One thing about boaties, they like to talk and are generally very sociable. Experience the reality of sailing before you invest all you have on what may end up being a pipe dream. It's a lot cheaper and less embarrassing if you crew on a boat and find out you hate it then spending every penny on something you end up loathing.

I'm going the slow way, looking at boats and sailing a little when I can. I was in Las Vegas NV a few weeks ago and looked at a pretty nice Westsail 32. Would have bought it, but it's just not the right time.

(SIGH)
I'd rather be sailing.
Old 20-12-2015, 01:19   #63

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

To all of you who think you might rather be sailing, but haven't, I want to say this: On the nice days, it's as close to heaven as I think I'll ever get; but the ocean has it's stern side as well, and that can kill you. That killing can come from something as simple as a missed gybe, a roll down at the wrong time. It's realy not just mai tais in the sunset.

It isn't that one cannot do it, but that one needs to be aware, not snoozing, when something comes up that needs immediate attention.

Ann

Ann
Old 20-12-2015, 06:43   #64

A lot of time is spent outin the cockpit, so make sure whatever sailboat you buy has a decent, roomy, and comfy cockpit. Should be large enough to sleep in, sit back and relax in, and safe enough so if a wave washes over the boat, you will not be washed out. Westsail boats fail in this regards. Fuji yachts excel.
Old 20-12-2015, 07:14   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
To all of you who think you might rather be sailing, but haven't, I want to say this: On the nice days, it's as close to heaven as I think I'll ever get; but the ocean has it's stern side as well, and that can kill you. That killing can come from something as simple as a missed gybe, a roll down at the wrong time. It's realy not just mai tais in the sunset.

It isn't that one cannot do it, but that one needs to be aware, not snoozing, when something comes up that needs immediate attention.

Ann

Ann
Amen Sister!

The old cruel mistress....

Only slight stinging for the Mai Tai jab...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 20-12-2015, 09:41   #66
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
God I just love that quote!
Thank!

BUT!

I feel that way because i first hand witnessed the demise of someone whom i respect a lot. What happened to him was very sad and it made me reflect on my own life and where i was heading to. It was as if i had hit a wall and i smacked right into it at high speed without being aware that it was there.

When i heard the doctor say to his wife "he is very lucky to be alive, the cardiac arrest that he experienced we call it, the widow maker, he survived it because he was here already, had this happened away from the hospital, he would have been dead, he would not had survived it"

That cardiac arrest took everything out of him, i saw him decline from a strapping 6'6" oak of a man to a 6'2" twig of a man. On 15 medications, etc, etc, etc.

Here he was just 10 years older than me and looked like he was 50 years older than me and all that in a matter of months. Here he was financially secure and financially successful and couldn't enjoy all that money that he worked so hard for. As far as i am concerned he worked for a heart attack, because it was caused in part by all that stress.

That had a jolting effect on me that changed everything for me...

The doctor told his wife "those widow makers? they usually happen when you are sitting on the toilet"

I rather die on a sailboat...looking at the sea, alone...but happy!

At least i have been given a choice and i am running with it.
Do i look desperate and running from something?

You bet! I am running from the rat race, from the widow maker and from that widow maker toilet!
Old 20-12-2015, 09:44   #67

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:

Ann

Ann
AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH! When sailing is good, there is nothing better. When it's bad, it's hell and at that point many folks step off the boat and never look back. A few strange people say, "that was fun, let's do it again!"
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 20-12-2015, 09:48   #68
cruiser

Quote:

Ann

Ann
Point well taken! Thanks!
Old 20-12-2015, 10:01   #69
cruiser

Quote:
AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH! When sailing is good, there is nothing better. When it's bad, it's hell and at that point many folks step off the boat and never look back. A few strange people say, "that was fun, let's do it again!"
I hope i am in the group of "that was fun, let's do it again" I also read " a calm sea never made a competent sailor" and i am not strange but eccentric.

Danger if you are given the time to practice, should be approached the "american way" tacticfully and surgically, at least that's is going to be my approach, practice, practice, practice.
Old 20-12-2015, 10:12   #70
cruiser

Quote:
Well, i must apologize for misunderstanding about Holland. It is rather funny: I thought CaptRican meant The Netherlands, that Holland, and was envisioning air fares and hotel bills...

To anyone here who is interested in what they don't tell you at the boat shows, I recommend the thread on how Murphy's Law relates to boating.

Finally, CaptRican, if you apply to the mods, perhaps they can remove the "senior" from the Cruiser in your avatar. One way to do that would be to click on the little red triangle with the exclamation mark in it, on the post in which you expressed that you'd like that out, and ask them if they can help you.

Ann
I asked the mods to change it to "getting ready to cruise" lol! we will see. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 20-12-2015, 10:14   #71
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanowens1966 View Post
I followed a guy's blog a couple of years ago who had similar passion to the OP. He spent about 2 years prepping his boat and as the time came he made meticulous posts about his preparations. He shoved off and found out he wasn't as prepared as he thought. After his solar array failed, his auto pilot stopped working and the day after day exhaustion of sailing an average of 3NM caught up to him and when the seas and breeze finally kicked up he was unable to cope. With his sails shredded, he was towed into port. He sold the boat for less than half what he paid for it and went back with the 'dirt people'. What is the moral of the story? Go crew on a boat. Invest time in the task to make a wise decision. Go hang out on the dock and marina. Someone, if you don't have an acerbic personality, will take you onboard and teach you for the cost of the time and maybe a beer or twelve. One thing about boaties, they like to talk and are generally very sociable. Experience the reality of sailing before you invest all you have on what may end up being a pipe dream. It's a lot cheaper and less embarrassing if you crew on a boat and find out you hate it then spending every penny on something you end up loathing.

I'm going the slow way, looking at boats and sailing a little when I can. I was in Las Vegas NV a few weeks ago and looked at a pretty nice Westsail 32. Would have bought it, but it's just not the right time.

(SIGH)
I'd rather be sailing.
Point well taken! Thank you, i am reconsidering my impetus and speed, slowing down and reconsidering everything thanks to all said here in this forum by all.
Old 20-12-2015, 10:14   #72

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Are you ready for such a long trip?
I'm not going non-stop
But that bit of ocean ... yeah, that'll take me around a month.
The brochure promised me an easy downwind sail tho

Am I ready? You're never ready ready, but at some point you have to go.
I'll need some extra equipment tho: AIS and radar are no luxury when sailing solo.
I've decided against SSB, but a satphone is on the list.
Not sure about EPIRB / life raft yet. Or even if I should go windvane, autopilot or both.
Decisions, decisions ...

There's also the cruising kitty to consider.

A couple of my friends are leaving this April / May, I should follow the next.
Old 20-12-2015, 10:25   #73
cruiser

Quote:
That boat is a lot roomier than you might think!
26 feet? I had a 17ft Sugar Sand Tango Offsore jet power boat, It was 17 feet long and it seemed small to me. I have a Jetski GTX Seadoo (anyone wants a jetski? lol it is a nice one) and it is 10 feet long and comparing or adding another 16 feet doesn't seem like much?

But like everyone have said, i need to look at a lot of sailboats and i am going to start with that now that i have some knowledge. I might be surprised at the configurations and space on a 26. But, i think it is going to be kind of small for me.

We will see ha?
Old 20-12-2015, 10:58   #74
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
Fixing a boat is NOTHING like fixing a house. Electrical system is completely different. The engine is probably different from anything you have worked on. The water system is different. Assume that whatever breaks you will need a trained monkey to reach. I have had to almost stand on my head in a compartment to replace a waterpump. I have to say that I think you are a little naive as to what you are getting yourself into. I would really advise you to start with a cheap boat and learn on it. Then move on up.

By the way---- the IP IS AN OCEAN CRUISER. They are sailing all over the world. I have been in some very high seas and nasty gales, and the boats ride beautifully.

On the other hand, one time I was in the Bahamas and I saw an older gentleman on his very old C&C 30 with a hailing port in Canada. And I asked him, "Did you single hand that boat all the way down here from Canada?" And he said he did. I said I wouldn't be so brave to do that in that boat, and his response was, "It isn't the boat that matters so much- it's the sailor".

Learn to sail first, I recommend learning on small boats, you will learn better boat handling. Charter boats you are considering purchasing before you buy. You can charter Island Packets in the Chesapeake Bay, and lots of other boats here and there.

BTW, I have my IP 37 for sale, I would have absolutely no interest in teaching a buyer how to sail her.
I used to own a kitcar making business, the donor car a corvette, the kit a Daytona Ferrari, the mold or plug made by Tom Mcburney from California., I have sprayed gelcoat, and have laid mat and fiber cloth. I have welded car frames that are still on the road. I have rebuild engines from a 454 to a 350 to a straight six on a 72 240Z Datsun. I have framed, and build apartments from the bottom up and from the studs out. I have done roofing, installed beautiful kitchens from the studs out. I have done electricity from the service panel out.

You tell me that i can not do electricity on a boat? Hmmm, and what is the difference in electrical system in a boat that i can not figure out? Lower amperage, Volts, 6v, 12v, 24v, 110v, 120v? I haven't seen a sailboat electrical system but like many suggested here i am going to learn it like the back of my hand.

I have fixed dryers, washers, taken apart small engines, put them back together and they are still running (i have a John Deere for sale? lol!)

I even know a bit about flying and planes and have helped build experimental aircrafts.

I can't imagine not being able to do something in a sailboat!

I build cabinets, from oak without using a single nail or screw, i can't imagine being any different than building a cabinet in a house kitchen, granted the glues and techniques might be different than building a cabinet for a kitchen in a house, but nothing that can not be learned as to materials and techniques.

Have you ever change a water pump in a transverse engine in a Mercury Villager Van, without lifting the engine up for clearance? I have, very little space and knuckle scraping job and i have literally stood on my head to fix things that i could not reach otherwise in many different places.

But, i do understand the big picture that you are trying to make me see, and i am appreciative of the heads up and the be aware message.

Just wanted to stress the fact that i am no spring chicken and i am not your regular Joe, I have lived.

I just don't want to die sick and stressed out sitting on a toilet slumped over!

There is no reverse now, is all forward and i am listening to everything that everybody is throwing at me.

Thank you for your time and advice!
Old 20-12-2015, 11:07   #75

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
I just don't want to die sick and stressed out sitting on a toilet slumped over!
Better buy a boat w/out a head and use a bucket

(Pooping over the railing is frowned upon these days)
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, island packet, liveaboard, sail, sailboat, water