Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2015, 10:05   #16

Re: Island Packet 38 for blue water cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The Island Packet 38 looks like a tough boat to me. Friends of ours have one out in California, it's a very nice boat.

The 38 Island Packet is an excellent boat for cruising. I have many friends who own one and they are very satisfied sailors. I owned a 38 Irwin center cockpit and carried 62 gallons in the tank and 36 gallons in six jerry cans and traveled to Bermuda and all the way to Trinidad without any problems.

If you are going to be sailing the south pacific, then no small recreational sailboat can carry enough fuel to motor across the Pacific Ocean, but then again that's why they are sailboats. They sail and don't use fuel. Sometimes, for example they even just drift along with the current.

I suggest you read the many blogs that are available of couples that are doing just that and learn what they are doing.

I'll suggestg a few blogs.
1. Nine of Cups (Intensive)
2. The Log of Astarte
3. Escape Velocity
4. Cruising Soggy
5. Sailing Totem

Enjoy the blogs

Howard
Sweet Freedom
SWTFRDOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:10   #17

Boat: Island Packet 350

I've owned 2 IPs. A 1989 38' and 1987 31'. They are excellent Water boats">blue water boats with many circumnavigations to their credit. The company is still in business , there are 2 very active IP owner web sites and email lists for technical support and advice. RE chainplate and tank issues; you'll find almost all boats in the 20-30 year old range will have some type of issues. They are one of the safest boats out there. They are built like tanks and it takes a little breeze to get them moving...but as someone else said, they are in their element in a good blow. In short, there are trade-offs with every boat. Continue doing your research and you'll find the boat best for you. Good luck.
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:00   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Using lots of guesswork, I think you could motor at reasonable rpm, or motorsail, for up to 5 days...for a range of like 600 miles. Thats lots.

Sure, you could carry a jerry can or two if it makes you feel better, but its a sailboat. I crossed the atlantic on a swan 48 which only held 24 hours of fuel. We used it all getting to the canaries, and added a bunch of jerry cans for the big crossing to antigua. We used most of the fuel getting south, looking for the trades, but once the trades kicked in we flew across.

IMHO, the fuel capacity of the IP38 is more than enough.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:14   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There are a few people that specalize in IP chainplates, yes the water and fuel tank aren't easy to replace at all. The blackwater tank on the other hand is a breeze.

Island Packet does have a factory refurb program where they do tanks, chainplates and usually hoses I believe and whatever else you want. I'm considering it myself, but honestly from what I can inspect, the tanks look fine. Everything else, wiring etc is in excellent shape.
From my understanding if the chainplates were re-bedded occasionally, there is no problem, but problem is with in my case a 27 yr old boat, were they properly maintained or not?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 17:46   #20

Boat: Custom, Ketch, 50 - N'Ice

The previous responders have just about covered everything. One thing to note-I sometimes carry 10 xtra 5-gal diesel (yellow) containers all tied with one rope thru/around the handles on foredeck (right against front of coachroof) and they are lashed to fittings on the rail and I have never lost one in 25ft seas in north Atlantic in 40 kts wind. Be sure to use at least 1/2 in rope - it is friendlier on the plastic.
Only way to lose them, pretty much, is when those guys with the 5-finger-discount tools on the ends of their arms pay a visit.
northiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, island packet, water