Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2022, 09:06   #1

Boat: Island Packet 29
Island Packet 29 - would you take it far Offshore?

Last year I bought a beautiful Island Packet 29. It's 32 feet overall. It's built like a tank, and looks prepared to go offshore. They only built 64 of them, and I have #64, but there isn't that much info online about them. I would love to take it to the Caribbean from the NE via Bermuda, and then south to the Virgins, and work my way down to Antigua to stay.

Would any of you do this? The boat seems borderline in size. I know it's my skills that will do it, and I've been boating all of my life. But I'm on the fence for this one. I know that one of them went transatlantic up North. Please chime in if you own an IP 29, or have sailed offshore for a few days on one. Thank you for the input!

SV Island Ting
hdelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 09:09   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Island Packet 29 - would you take it far Offshore?

From reputation the boat can go anywhere the keel fits.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 09:31   #3

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

If you dig around a bit there was an IP29 that a couple of guys sailed from Rock Hall MD over to Europe. I also think I remember 15 or so years back a delivery Capt making a similar trip except he started down in Florida.

I decided many years back Cbreeze could take a lot more than her captain, I am kind of a chicken anyway. Just be sure you have a good staysail. The staysail is the trick when the wind turns mean. Quite remarkable how a staysail and a double reefed main depowers those yachts.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 09:37   #4

Boat: Seaward 22

Make sure you look into the condition of your chain plates. Otherwise I would sail it if in good shape.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...nt-188085.html
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 21:20   #5

Well my boat is a sloop. I would put a staysail before going, and a third reef in the main. I'm thinking 2025 to make the trip. So far the boat is great, but Ive only gone as far as Nantucket.
I have to decide if I do the chainplates before the trip to the Caribbean. The problem is, I don't want to go through the Bahamas, and I would take the boat to Florida to fix the chainplates. I dont want to end up outside of Florida if one of them goes. What do you all think?
Old 31-07-2023, 22:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdelany View Post
Well my boat is a sloop. I would put a staysail before going, and a third reef in the main. I'm thinking 2025 to make the trip. So far the boat is great, but Ive only gone as far as Nantucket.
I have to decide if I do the chainplates before the trip to the Caribbean. The problem is, I don't want to go through the Bahamas, and I would take the boat to Florida to fix the chainplates. I dont want to end up outside of Florida if one of them goes. What do you all think?

Sounds like a plan. Why not do anything you want to do to the chainplates/sails where you are now, and just get it out of the way?

The world's your oyster.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 22:51   #7

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
The problem is, I don't want to go through the Bahamas, and I would take the boat to Florida to fix the chainplates. I dont want to end up outside of Florida if one of them goes. What do you all think?
You can do your chainplates just about anywhere on the planet, but if you're worried about them, I would just do them now. It'll be a lot easier.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 00:54   #8

Boat: Westerly Sealord

The 'go to ' outfit for IP chainplate replacement appears to be in Florida

Chainplates - Mack Yacht Services
Old 01-08-2023, 06:28   #9

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Going to. the Caribbean (assuming Eastern) from Florida is long and nasty slog to windward, research the Thorny Path. General wisdom is an early November departure from the Chesapeake or a bit (only a bit) further south and head east to around 65°W and hang a right to the Virgins or St. Martin. You can stop in Bermuda but it makes more sense to keep going if you have a decent forecast - winter storms are coming. You can go to Bermuda on the way back.

Make sure your rig is sound, including chainplates. On a boat that size I would go with a removable, dyneema inner stay. Give a lot of thought to your self-steering redundancy.

Make
Old 01-08-2023, 06:42   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Island Packet 29 - would you take it far Offshore?

There is the alternative route Florida-Virgins..
Go over the top of the Bahamas Bank when the winds start their Southerly cycle.. SE-S-SW.. then pick up the N'ly that inevitably follows this pattern.. if your lucky this will get you close to the longitude of Puerto Rico, from there you should be able to beat SE to the Virgins on the NE/ENE winds when you reach them.. 7-10 days with luck.
Would I do it in that boat.. Yes..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:11   #11

Boat: Planning an Island Packet for cruising/living aboard

Quote:

For IP owner specific Q&A, check out IPHomeport. Lots of resources there for all things IP.
Messing About is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 18:37   #12

I have an IP 29 and crossed the Gulf of Mexico from Tampa to Galveston solo last year. Currently getting it repowered and set up for extended cruising. Next big trip will be Galveston to Florida Keys.

I would have no problem taking it anywhere on the globe.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 14:21   #13

Thanks Rockinar! Im setting up for extended cruising as well.
I want a staysail, and a Hydrovane. I dont want to make the Thorny Path, and Mack Yacht is who I want to do the chainplates. The alternative suggested sounds interesting (Bahama Bank), and I'll research that route.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:58   #14

Quote:
Thanks Rockinar! Im setting up for extended cruising as well.
I want a staysail, and a Hydrovane. I dont want to make the Thorny Path, and Mack Yacht is who I want to do the chainplates. The alternative suggested sounds interesting (Bahama Bank), and I'll research that route.
Keep in mind Mack has a really long wait list to do chainplates. Last time I asked him it was 6-8 month waitlist.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 06:23   #15

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Do your chainplates NOW. My 1990 IP35 dismasted at sea in 2012 due to crevice corrosion in my starboard forward lower chainplate. Cost me a whole bunch of money.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet, offshore