Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2019, 11:16   #16

Re: Is THIS a versatile motorsailer or is it a bucket IMPOSSIBLE to sail?

Quote: "Maybe i should just have a Look at her. And go sailing for 5h. "

That's EXACTLY what you need to do :-)

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:23   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

It's a trawler intended for someone who wants to convince themselves they haven't gone completely over to the dark side.
CommodoreDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 13:37   #18

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

if its the boat for you who cares what anyone thinks, it will sail , and go to winward , what angles depends on the boat , how fast who knows, only a good sea trial will work that out for you , she seems a solid well built boat , as most Dutch boats are , right a pros and cons list and work out what it is you want to do , can you afford the fuel and then go for it. no such thing as the pure or perfect boat only the boat you want is the perfect boat
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 15:41   #19

I have been utterly unable to find anything of consequence about the "half glider" (Fellowship62) you cited. All I can find is several instances of the same ad. None of the basic numbers that enable one to make a preliminary judgement about the soundness of a design seem to be available on line, not even something so fundamental as the displacement.

So for your delectation here is an article by Ted Brewer, a well esteemed Yacht Designer:

https://goodoldboat.com/dissecting-the-motorsailer/

And here is a ref to Ted's own "Mystic":

https://www.tedbrewer.com/sail_alumi...c_aluminum.htm.

You are estimating the Fellowship's displacement at 50 tons. Note that Mystic is 28 tons!! There is a lesson to learn there!

As you seem serious about your plans, I recommend that along with the other "rules of thumb" you have set for yourself, you dismiss as a candidate for your ownership anything that doesn't simultaneously satisfy these three criteria: 1) Sail Area/Displacement > 14; 2) Length/Displacement < 320; 3) Prismatic Coefficient < .60.

Even at these numbers a candidate for your ownership would be a less capable boat than "Mystic", though perhaps better than "Zig-Zag"

Glück damit :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 14:05   #20

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Motorsailers as you can see, don't get much respect in some circles. Your usage pattern might make a motorsailer a good fit for you, or maybe not. No, none of them are very good performers under sail alone, to windward. Wind astern or even abeam, different story.

What was it the Brits used to say? "Gentlemen never sail to windward." LOL! Well, if you run the engine at eco-speed and sail three or four points off the wind, you will find that some motorsailers are very economical and will still get you where you are going. Basically, you want sails up any time you are not dead on the wind. And you want to never be dead on the wind. So sails up any time you are not anchoring, docking, locking, or passing under a bridge. They will save you money.

Just my shade tree internet guess, but I would say that boat is way overpriced. You can do better, I am sure. Don't fall in love with a boat until you own it.
Old 11-10-2019, 14:56   #21

Boat: 51' pilot house cutter, aluminum

As Usual, as with all questions, the answer is "It depends." To be objective, without knowing the displacement, although it is easy to imagine that this vessel will probably top 60,000 lbs, it will take 15 knots of wind to get this boat moving, and more downwind. So, it depends upon where you intend to sail, if you are crossing oceans, or gunkholing daysailing or overnighting. But in any event, don't expect a high performer from this vessel.
captain38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 19:10   #22

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Motorsailers as you can see, don't get much respect in some circles. Your usage pattern might make a motorsailer a good fit for you, or maybe not. No, none of them are very good performers under sail alone, to windward. Wind astern or even abeam, different story.

What was it the Brits used to say? "Gentlemen never sail to windward." LOL! Well, if you run the engine at eco-speed and sail three or four points off the wind, you will find that some motorsailers are very economical and will still get you where you are going. Basically, you want sails up any time you are not dead on the wind. And you want to never be dead on the wind. So sails up any time you are not anchoring, docking, locking, or passing under a bridge. They will save you money.

Just my shade tree internet guess, but I would say that boat is way overpriced. You can do better, I am sure. Don't fall in love with a boat until you own it.
What he said.
Old fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 19:38   #23

Boat: Northshore 33 ft sloop

Ralph is out by a factor of 10 ! 16 l/nm not 1.5l/nm.
mawtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:18   #24

From what I saw in the photos, she has bilge keels (which will certainly affect performance to windward), and twin engines (which should also tell you something). But, I also notice she seems to have a good amount of sail area, so maybe down wind and on a broad reach she could sail OK.
garyfrankovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:18   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawtty View Post
Ralph is out by a factor of 10 ! 16 l/nm not 1.5l/nm.

What?
Where?
How?

Please explain.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:03   #26

Its hull form and dual propeller configuration readily indicates that it is a Motorsailor, with emphasis on motor. Nothing wrong with a motorsailor, just not as adept as a sailing ship when being sailed only.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorsailer, sail