Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2019, 10:29   #16

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25
Re: Is there a 2000poundish boat you would actually go out with?

While you could cross oceans in the boats mentioned, I wouldn't personally do it. Webb Chiles previously nearly completed a circumnavigation in 18' ? open boat plus 4 other circumnavigations. He seems to be a severe sort of minimalist, and having read his books I am of the opinion that his balls must have barely fit into some of his boats. We have owned ultralights and they are pretty sketchy in Santa Ana wind conditions. The scariest sail I ever had was in a Bill Lee designed 36' boat with about 30 sq. ft. of sail up in Santa Ana winds and really steep maybe 15 foot seas. Of the one's mentioned I would opt for the Cal 20.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 10:55   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is there a 2000poundish boat you would actually go out with?

Only coz you've never sailed a 'proper little ship'..
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/hurley-22
Yes.. I know its 1500lbs over the limit but..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 11:01   #18

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Hobie 33 falls into a similar category. Heavier than specified, but designed to be trailerable (if thats the weight reason). Way fast, responsive, and incredible windward performance. They have been raced offshore successfully, but were never intended as an offshore boat.

Which raises a question for the OP. Why 2,500lbs? Do you want it to be easily trailerable?

And, whats your intended use? Do want to give the Jester Cup a go or just some extended near coastal runs?
That Hobie 33 fits easily on a trailer (if it has the retractable keel) but it does look like a lot to handle with the spinnaker up if the OP is a beginner.

33' LOA, 8' Beam

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/hobie-33
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 11:06   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Looks like the Express 27 is the fastest in the 27' and under group with a base PHRF of 141, but I think they are expensive and hard to find unless you are on the West Coast
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 11:10   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augi View Post
Pogo 3 (virtually unsinkable)

Likely would be uncomfortable much of the time but can go anywhere and more quickly than any other similar size sail boat.

920 KG Light Displacement

https://www.pogostructures.com/en/fiche-bateau/pogo-3/
Ive seen Pogos, but never sailed one, looks like they would be great fun!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 11:15   #21

Boat: 1978 Ranger 22

The Ranger 22 could do it, 2180#, it does draw 4'2" which is a lot for a 22' boat. Havent heard of any of them going on ocean voyages, but it is a very fast and stiff boat (keel is 900#!) I used to take mine out for long sails on the gulf waters off Sarasota all the time, it takes the seas well.
Fersail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 11:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
That Hobie 33 fits easily on a trailer (if it has the retractable keel) but it does look like a lot to handle with the spinnaker up if the OP is a beginner.

33' LOA, 8' Beam

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/hobie-33
Yes, its designed to be trailerable. I own a lifting keel version, but have never trailered it.

I also dont usually bother to install an outboard in its awkwardly designed engine well because if there is any perceptable wind then it will sail...an incredible light air boat.

That obviously experienced H33 crew is pushing the boat hard...flying a spinnaker in gusts to 30.
Old 24-06-2019, 15:43   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fersail View Post
The Ranger 22 .... Havent heard of any of them going on ocean voyages, but it is a very fast and stiff boat (keel is 900#!) .
We ran into one around Indonesia. A young single hander (guy) who had broken up with a long time girlfriend, bought the boat on the west coast and just headed out.

I was helping to coordinate the rescue of a (different) cruiser who had let off his epirb in Indonesian waters. The Indonesians were not being very responsive so we were identifying cruising boats nearby and getting them heading toward the epirb signal. I had not had much fath the Ranger could help, but the guy sailed like 100 miles upwind (or perhaps very tight reach) and was the first one on site. They did manage to save the boat in distress - his head was reverse siphoning water into the boat, was up above his knees.

You can do a lot with various of these boats but it does take a particular type of skipper.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 16:31   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fersail View Post
The Ranger 22 could do it, 2180#, it does draw 4'2" which is a lot for a 22' boat. Havent heard of any of them going on ocean voyages, but it is a very fast and stiff boat (keel is 900#!) I used to take mine out for long sails on the gulf waters off Sarasota all the time, it takes the seas well.
Ooh Ranger 22, Id almost forgotten about these...I used to teach aboard one. Good small boat...sails like a much larger boat...stiff and good in heavy weather.
Old 24-06-2019, 16:45   #25

Boat: Cal-40

I sailed open ocean on a friends West Write Plotter and was really impressed at how seaworthy they are. Given the write sailor one could go most anywhere.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 04:22   #26

More than one West Wight Potter 15 has been off shore and survived. I like the ability of the smaller Westerly's and Grampians, as they have a bit more room. The Cal 20 and 25 are solid boats but the 20 has very little room, while the 25 seems like it could hold its own.
33trippindaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 05:38   #27

Boat: Minicat 310 Sport

I think I found the smallest reasonable example (being a fan of Carl Alberg designs) Cape Dory Typhoon 18 (weekender) 2000lbs, Bal./Disp.:45, Capsize Screening Formula under 2, ok its really small, but based on the specs alone it seems to be a one to be listed here.
DanielCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 06:32   #28

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

On the old windjammers when everyone shared a tot of rum, they called it "Splicing the mainbrace." The mainbrace, the heart of the ship, was its crew.
Don't take this wrong because the core of good seamanship is being prepared. But the sailor makes the difference. It's like you said about a barrel with sails.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 07:20   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You might want to take a look at some of the smaller boats that have completed the 2100 mlie Single Handed Transpac race which is from San Francisco to Hawaii.

They include the Moore 24, Merit 25, Capri 25 (entered), a Cal 20 (1950 lb) , and the Express 27 (2450 lb)
Good advice. I did the race in a Moore 24 and an Olson 30, and while not terribly comfortable, both boats were very seaworthy. I think that a risk is buying a 25 year old whatever, and not investing in the items that deteriorate with age. Look at the track record of the design, and understand the weak areas which need attention.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:52   #30

Boat: Minicat 310 Sport

I have studied a bit more about small sailboat cruising, especially Roger Taylor and his MingMing voyages, one think is not mentioned here that seems to made his voyages possible in terrible conditions, the Jordan Series Drogue, https://www.yachtingworld.com/featur...s-drogue-63180
I will open a separate discussion or look it up here.
Seems to be something to be mentioned within this discussion.
DanielCZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat