Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 03:28   #16

Thanks DOJ...fabulous vessel IMHO. Unusual, distinctive and very likely more seaworthy than most other options at that price.

And for anyone with health issues (like the OP?), a motor sailer is a wiser choice. And maybe you're right DOJ that the Perkins is a good size, given that it is a motor sailer.

Also, the OP and others in this thread might want to check the going price, which would convert to around US$30K. Gives the buyer a fair wad of free spending before overcapitalisation becomes an issue.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:56   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

From looking at the Pic's its a strong possibility that waters been over the floorboards for a while but that could be down to deck leaks or hatch left open etc...
They were strongly built tho and for the price you got a good base to build up from... if your good with tools etc (and most US folks I've met are) it could be your answer... but ****.. most boats on E-bay are a crap shoot.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:46   #18

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Don't know about at present, but in the 60's and 70's Halmatic built very high quality hulls. The 50-60ft range of Hatteras motor yacht hulls were built by Halmatic largely.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:39   #19

Boat: Watkins 29'
According to the ad the hydraulic trans needs a rebuild and by the looks of that waterline on the interior surfaces I would not be to hopeful that Perkins is salvageable... The ad says it spent a long time on a mooring so it most likely accumulated a lot of rain water over time. You are looking at a lot of electrical and mechanical issues at the very least. It is a very interesting design but as already said there are lots of better deals in the same price range that are nearly ready to go.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:13   #20

Any boat (almost) can be fixed up. Make sure this is the boat you want. The effort and cost to fix tis boat will be double your best estimate. That being said ensure that the hull is sound and assume nothing else works or is salvageable...
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:48   #21

Hillbilly, As per my earlier reply. Heres one only a couple of hours away. There is a FREE C&C 31 in today`s paper. Its a 1968 hull, so its gonna be a real heavily glassed hull. Call the owner at 301-261-9060....good luck
ncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:38   #22

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34
Yeah I agree with all of the above! Mainly though that any restoration requires Beau coup bucks. I bought a boat in sail away condition for 4500 dollars. By the time I got it the way "I" wanted it, I had dropped another 4500 bucks. Take yer time.
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:52   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

Have been thinking a bit more and had another look at the Ebay advert.

Although not very helpful, it's probably one of those boats that "if you have to ask, then don't" get involved.

From the advert seems that the seller thinks he has something of value and has put some decent effort into the description and boat model history. But I always worry when someone with something old starts using the term "classic" and IMO telling that he hasn't bothered to put any effort into improving presentation of the boat itself. and no photos of the engine bay - if the tide mark was half way up the saloon then engine would have been mostly under (with an oil slick all over to match). and a 4107 is likely original........If buying I would budget on replacement of engine, gearbox and a large chunk of ancilliaries. Despite her only being 28 foot and a nice flat transom not really suitable for hooking an outboard on the back as she will require a fair bit of poke to move her in anything other than benign conditions - and she is not really a boat that could sail out of pretty much anything, so a decent engine more important than with some other boats.

FWIW over this part of the world she would simply be (another) old boat, not a "classic". the UK prices quoted would be for a good one, and in purchasing power can translate as 1:1.......so I would not think that £15k in the Europe equals $23k in USA. Besides, in US she is an unknown out of position model (aka "Rare" ) over here she would no longer be a well known model either.

But for the right person (and use) could be a good boat - but would be married to her even if bought for $ 1 or 2k........but $15k and hands on work for a year (or 2?) would likely turn out nice. might even be worth $10k by then
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 19:19   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
..it's probably one of those boats that "if you have to ask, then don't" get involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
.. most boats on E-bay are a crap shoot.
I've re-read the OP and think that the best two pieces of advice are those quoted above.

Okay, I've waxed lyrical and would be a sucker for it myself but I don't reckon it would suit the OP's needs, especially if it can't be inspected before bidding.

Go look at the free one mate!
Old 10-01-2011, 14:40   #25

Boat: Westerly Centaur
Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
I've re-read the OP and think that the best two pieces of advice are those quoted above.

Okay, I've waxed lyrical and would be a sucker for it myself but I don't reckon it would suit the OP's needs, especially if it can't be inspected before bidding.

Go look at the free one mate!
I called about the free one. Its in Annapolis on the hard. !968 C&C 31. The owner has removed a large part of the deck to remove the wet balsa core. The Atomic 4 engine was replaced with a Volvo diesel but it isn't installed. I think it has been pretty much gutted for repair and cleaning. The Aluminium rudder needs replacing.
Storage charges are 170 $ a month.
The boat itself is free to a good home..
Put back on the water in good order this would be a valuable boat and a damn fine one.
Whats a guy to do eh? I ask ya?
He's sending me some pics tomorrow, probably to frustrate and break my heart that little bit more lol.
C&C 31 Corvette club link
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 16:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillylad View Post
Whats a guy to do eh? I ask ya?[/URL]
Salivate I imagine. It does look promising. The online owners group is a huge bonus; someone there will very likely know every detail of this one's history and needs. Allaverybest.
Old 10-01-2011, 18:06   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Hillbilly, the odds are that the reason a MACHINE SHOP is giving away that C&C, is that the owner stopped paying the rent and they'd rather give it away than pay to have it hauled away. Assuming they can and will arrange a lien and get a title to go with it.

"Put back on the water in good order this would be a valuable boat and a damn fine one." But considering the price of a deck job and an engine job and whatever else it needs, the value of the boat may still never equal the price of the parts alone needed to put it in that condition.

Which is not always the story on a free boat--just 99% of the time.

If you don't understand fiberglass work, rigging, boat electrics & engines & systems, a project boat is a great way to consume huge amounts of time and money. Better to buy something modest when and if the budget allows. Something that has a known and popular resale value, so you can bail out of it if you want to. And something you can enjoy as a boat, while learning all the gnarly parts in your *spare* time.

In the US, a twin-keel motorsailor would have about zero resale value, even in mint condition with uniformed galley slaves included in the deal. Twin keeled boats generally have zero value, unless you are in a part of the world (Nova Scotia, UK) where the water runs away every day and a top priority is having a boat that can sit down and wait for the water to come back.

And boat ads are pretty much like used car ads: Over 90% are lying about something. Don't even think about buying one sight unseen, even if Hertz or Avis is selling it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:28   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
If you don't understand fiberglass work, rigging, boat electrics & engines & systems, a project boat is a great way to consume huge amounts of time and money. Better to buy something modest when and if the budget allows.

In the US, a twin-keel motorsailor would have about zero resale value, even in mint condition with uniformed galley slaves included in the deal. Twin keeled boats generally have zero value, unless you are in a part of the world (Nova Scotia, UK) where the water runs away every day and a top priority is having a boat that can sit down and wait for the water to come back.
it's not hard to mount at argument against a free boat, and Hellosailor has done it. More interesting is to toss around the reasons why someone would take it - and someone will.

For starters, if you don't have the skills Hellosailor listed, then there is no better way of learning them. And if you're going boating - and you're not going to sink half a mill into a shiny new plastic wonder with all the trappings - then it's a very good idea that you do attain these skills.

None of it is rocket science - it's just a matter of exposing yourself to the experience. And when you're done, you'll know the boat inside out and be a very much more capable seaman as a result.

The alternative as suggested by Hellosailor - that you buy a modest vessel and sail off - is not a good option in my book. If you've only a modest sum to spend up front, then any vessel that is ready to sail, motor and all, won't be much of a vessel. And no matter how much dough you sink into it - and you will - you'll still have a crappy cheap vessel.

With either of the project boats mentioned above, a small initial outlay gets you a solid foundation with a quality vessel. Then you can spend/ build as your finances allow, while learning all the time.

One last thing: if twin bilge keels have no market value in the USA, as Hellosailor says, then it's not due to reason. Sure they are good mudlarks but they are excellent in any tidal situation or where shoaling can restrict access. And numerous bilge keelers have crossed oceans. The engineering issues of twin bilge keelers deserve better than such offhand dismissal IMHO.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:57   #29
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post

One last thing: if twin bilge keels have no market value in the USA, as Hellosailor says, then it's not due to reason. Sure they are good mudlarks but they are excellent in any tidal situation or where shoaling can restrict access. And numerous bilge keelers have crossed oceans. The engineering issues of twin bilge keelers deserve better than such offhand dismissal IMHO.
I dunno if doable (or of any benefit) - but in the Caribbean could a Bilge Keeler be hauled ashore for Hurricane Season? (or simply cheaper long term storage?).........rather than having to re-position / keep fingers crossed.

I guess circumstances ashore where a boat could be damaged by other items (flying cars & houses!), and could even take off itself ..........but not going to simply fall over.

Never been to the Caribbean myself, so..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:34   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I dunno if doable (or of any benefit) - but in the Caribbean could a Bilge Keeler be hauled ashore for Hurricane Season?
Or better still, drop it on a flat bed trailer and scram outa there. (try doing that with a 7' fin).