Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2009, 16:17   #46

Do it

You only live once. Which is why you should go and why you should not die when you go. I want to sail around the world as well, though I think I will be doing it in a 30+ just because I am a sissy and want to take a shower halfway through.
BeBalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 17:51   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
You only live once. Which is why you should go and why you should not die when you go.
Sounds like a plan to me. It's all supposed to be fun. I would much rather say I had more fun than anyone ever did than anything else. The record is a darn sight smaller than 24 ft. The Pacific was done in a boat 9 ft -8 inches. He said he darn near went nuts before getting to Australia. No one needs to break records.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 08:25   #48

Boat: Traditional wood (very old)
The Cape Dory cruiser

The Cape Dory is an excellent choice but there are many issues to boats and the design is but one.
Hulls always take on water, how much and under what weather conditions is another question. Time the leak and say: Half a gallon per 24 hours. Leaking? This water may come in from anywhere, dew or a light shower.
Without going into the spew about post 1970 hulls and blisters, it is not advisable to set out anywhere with a damaged hull.
I sailed the coast of Belize in 07' with a friend who LOVED his Cape Dory.
He was a minimalist in many respects but it sailed from Maine to the Caribbean easy enough and they are a good windward boat. Crossing the gulf he had other bigger boats turn back.
He sailed his with his wife part of the time so it had enough room.
We often met for meals on my rented boat because it was larger for four people to sit down and easier to cook.
One day I had to rescue them on a shallow reef and it damaged the rudder which I saw as a bit weak. Still, any boat is not desirable on a reef.
It's 4 foot draft was best for reefs really. Mine drew 6-3 which is better for open ocean.
Cape Dories make excellent cruisers but you don't have the storage or tankage of a larger choice. There are water makers of course and ways around that. Most 'round the world types like the smaller boats. You can trailer, opening up options like readying them in the driveway.
The smaller the boat the more bumpy the ride but with what you save you can do more...
Freeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 17:45   #49

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeranger View Post
Hulls always take on water, how much and under what weather conditions is another question. Time the leak and say: Half a gallon per 24 hours. Leaking? This water may come in from anywhere, dew or a light shower.
What?????

Maybe on a wood boat.........most hulls (or any other part of the boat) should not take on water. If the boat is taking on water (of any amount) the leak should be found and repaired. This is our job.....this is what we do.....we maintain our boats and keep the water (of any kind) on the outside.....
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 19:24   #50
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Our hull leaks so I have to push the bilge button for 10 seconds once per month.

If you guys want to cruise the world on a 1960's 6 footer that leaks like a sieve with no wire then do so. But encouraging it is tantamount to .... well, I still think of the encouragement given to that woman with no sailing experience in her 20 foot boat that lasted one night at sea, hit a storm, locked herself out of the cabin and lost every cent she saved in her life doing so and then tried to sell the suicide boat for nearly US$100k!

Look, if some people really need to go out and risk their life and hurt and/or destroy the lives of their love ones then so be it. But I won't encourage it. Go back to work till you can afford a proper boat.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 19:38   #51

Isn't that what a lot of people say about Beneteaus?

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 19:59   #52
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
Isn't that what a lot of people say about Beneteaus?
Yes, thats exactly what I am meaning: Fools denigrate modern well found production boats (and other good boats) prefering to enthusiasticly encourage people going to sea in a dinghy.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 20:09   #53

I'm sorry, but I thought we were talking about a well-respected production sailboat. My personal response remains "Yes. Lots of caveats, but yes.".

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 23:00   #54

It's her (the sea's job) to try to get in me boat an me's job to keep er out.
I copy that... Ahi, ahi, sir.
Perhaps I did mistake thar matie. One half dozen or another opinions and the smarter the reader be. Make it civil, we aint a savin souls here....
It's always good to teach a new boater that there is a time and volume calculation.

Port lights, fake teak deck fasteners. strained rig fittings on the cabin top, fresh water tanks and more are always a good source for leaks.
I have a few tiny leaks in my topsides but I am getting on in years so excuse me thar!!! At my age you learn to expect some leakage, he, he, he...

I ain't saying or telling anyone to go ta sea mate. Thats a looney yer referin to.
Plenty more than leaks awaits any size boat with the hankerin for strange abors and such.
It's true a new sailer needs a wettin of his tail feathers and dat is a right good concern. BUT I stand by the Cape Dore. I seen feelers that could afford a tanker who prefer a small boat. To that thar is no question.
If I waited till I could afford what you fellers got, I'd need another life er two. I have seen 50s fiberglass thats tougher than anything built today.
I know a guy, a retired coasty who goes to Alaska in an old 26' Cal. wouldn't want it any other way.
He has taken plungers a plenty and is still going strong. (his wife bailed).
I was suppose to interview a guy who paddled a surf board down the inside passage.

I feel some goose bumps look good on a green sailor. I never learned quicker than when the brinnie had me by the adams apple. You might ferget a book learnin but you never ferget a cold dip or near to tell. if ya dive in to fast with sailing you risk hating it just as quick.
A boat is an especially miserable thing for a fool who has Murphy for a
crew. Of course murph always takes a cuz or two when it has to do with a boat.

Seems I stepped in it here, is this a war... has it been goin a while?
I never saw a sailor for want of less than half a dozen opinions.
Let's nat ignore the golden rule.
I hope I am being kind to everyone. It isn't in me to waste time bickerin over a dumb question to begin with. You can make it around the world in a dink but don't ask me to insure that.
The boatyard is where you wage a war against the sea. I would you no half measures there.
A truly safe boat is only for the rich and the other option is for the dinghy.
But no man belongs on the water, it's not natural. We are all looney tunes in this adventure, so no point in gettin any airs.
The ocean is serious business, to that end, thar is no argument. She will not stop or wain even after you're dead. But few people who lay on the couch watching TV will ever get to be heroric. I guess we each need to decide if such a person has a life to lose. I have seen 'em. Boats draw the fools of fools but so do wars.
All we can say is be careful and hear ALL the opinions.
And then thank you all for caring.
Old 26-02-2009, 22:06   #55

I just spoke with my friend who owns the Cape Dory and his is a 28' (much bigger).
He also mentioned it had a piece of plywood used in the lay up, located and just above the rudder. He believed it is where the leak will likely be found.
His boat is about the same age and the wood needed removal since it had all but rotted away leaving a cavity.
It was not an easy repair but not to terrible, he said.
Perhaps a different boat might not seem such a bad idea.
Old 26-02-2009, 22:27   #56

Boat: Swanson 36
Go for it. I sailed an Invicta 26 from the UK to Victoria B.C. in 89/90. The right attitude is more important than your level of experience. Many people have succcessfully circumnavigated with little previous experience (Tania Abi, John Guzzwell, etc etc.) You just have to be comfortable with the level of risk you are taking.

Jim Cate

"Just to add to your info, there is another Aussie who did long distance cruising in a Tophat. Name of Alan Nebauer, who at the age of ~23, and accompanied by his young wife Cindy, sailed from Newcastle to British Columbia via Hawaii. We met them in Hilo in 1987, and have kept up with them since then. They lived aboard in Canada for a couple of years, then sailed down to Mexico where we met them again in 1990. By then they had a new crew member, 18 month old Annie. Thereafter they sailed back to Oz, still in the Tophat (called Deus Regit)."

I met Alan in Nuku Hiva when he was on his way back to OZ.
kalitsah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 23:49   #57

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
That is the best piece of wisdom on this entire thread.............
Amen.

I know not your boat. But many experienced folk have done passages (without engines) that the skippers of larger boats balked at.

You propose a pretty hard and a very slow way to travel, and you would have to be very well prepared when the ocean becomes a cruel mistress.

roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 07:06   #58

I'm not saying, not to. Size is a personal choice. I started out very poor so forgive me if I implied it can't be done.
We've all been offered a free boat or car, that in the end, we sunk more grief than we ever thought possible.
I'm doing it at the moment with a 54 foot, 1927 American built teak yawl. She was near free and now I can't tell you how many thousand I had to break out on her.
Why?
There are always more of these albatross' to tie about one's neck and the PO's glad to rid themselves of them. I knew what I was going into but its like the proverbial pop up book of problems.
In the end you know all the systems and wonder if you are sanding more than sailing and YOU NEVER GET BACK what you put in.
I say sink the $ into the purchase!
You can always replace systems and beef up her rig but there's another boat where that was done already.
So much can be included in the sale that you can never replace, even second hand.
I grow less fond on sentiment as the waves crash over me. Practical is not as expensive as one would think.
This thread has lost the poster and we have carried on too long.
A well cared for boat is a good thing but a cheap unmaintained boat with no compliments is no friend.
Old 07-03-2009, 14:49   #59

Boat: Trintella 1a, 29ft
Didn't Robin Grahm sail most of the way around in a Cape Dory 25 (in the book "Dove")?
trintella1a495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 15:21   #60

Is it possible to take a Cape Dory 25 around the world

No it was a 24' Gladiator designed by Bill Lapworth. Ali
boatyard Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory, round the world