Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2008, 15:31   #16

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Hi hecate,

You might want to consider that if you have to re-rig and outfit your CD25 (likely) to operate safely on a circumnavigation, you might do better to look around and find another (slightly larger) boat already rigged and outfitted to do so. A wind-vane alone may cost 25% the value of your '74 CD25.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 15:45   #17

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
If she is really , really cute then yes I could do it............Oh thats right singel handed.........nevermind....

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 18:04   #18
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I think by the time you provision for an ocean crossing your cockpit will be flooded if its only an inch above the waterline. I sailed a 23'boat offshore for years. After the first time I got pooped and took on a LOT of water I cut out the transom and glassed over the lower part of the companionway deleting the bottom board. A slow drainining cockpit is not a good thing in a small sailboat offshore. Unless you want to sail around with all the boards in and hatch closed. Still would be uncomfortable sitting waist deep in water.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 23:42   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecate View Post
Does anyone have any advice about this?

I don't think my advice is called for, but I will say it anyway: You're crackers. Go back to work untill you can extend the boat to a reasonable size. Its a big world out there and a 25 footer ain't.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 08:48   #20

I think its fair to say that when it comes to the ocean, no boat is big enough. 25' is pretty claustrophobic though (for me anyway), and your boat will feel a-LOT smaller on the open ocean.

Just +5' LOA and +1' beam makes a world of difference in terms of comfort and storage.
Old 29-12-2008, 10:20   #21

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecate View Post
I'm ... wondering if I need to buy a new boat or if I can take the boat I already have...

Peter has it right – haul her, find the leak; strip, fair and paint the bottom yourself, restitch a sail or two yourself, practice a bit of rope-work, learn a bit of the mechanical side of her and I’m sure you’ll find the 25 entirely acceptable for almost anything the crew can handle – probably more… no good reason the Cape Dory shouldn’t take you pretty much anywhere…

Now you don’t have the excuse of needing a new boat…
Old 29-12-2008, 12:51   #22
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
It's theoretically possible.

Donna Lange did it in a 28 footer
Donna Lange the Musician, the Sailor
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 13:32   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
It's theoretically possible.

There are 15 boats in the international anchorage here in Sydney.

The biggest is 60 foot with a 2 meter bowsprit taking it to 66 ft.

There are 3 boats about 40 foot long.

The rest of the boats are between 40 foot (aprox) and 60 foot.

There is 1 local boat about 25 feet that I haven't included.

(Only 2 cats by the way )

Yes, its possible to take a small boat to the ends of the earth "Little Dove" solo through the Southern Ocean etc etc etc etc etc.
But if it was a nice, pleasant, safe way of doing it then why is the smallest boat here 15 feet longer than a Cape Dory?

If by cruising you mean wondering around the Caribbean, then go with what you like. But if its circumnavigating please believe me when I say that the average winds seem higher than the pilot charts and the waves quite substantial.

Sailing a 25 footer may put you in an early grave.. not because it would sink, but from the worry of seeing the force of nature against the few feet of boat.

Yes it is theoretically possible. But would it be enjoyable? Not on ya Nellie, matey!

Mark

Old 29-12-2008, 14:43   #24

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
A close friend of mine (Brian Caldwell) single handed a Contessa 26 around the world at age 19. It's not unheard of. Lots of people have done it.
liquidflight.net

I sailed much of the trip with him from 1994- 1997.

A 25' boat would not be a comfortable boat to make long ocean passages but it does not have to be a dangerous boat. If it's what you have, it's better than staying home.

The one piece of gear that you should seriously consider is a ParaTech sea anchor. It will make rough weather bearable. You will be able to rest when you are tired and when the $hit hits the fan, you just lay to the sea anchor and wait it out in relative comfort and safety.
Para Tech Sea Anchor

Do a Google search for "Single handed sailing" . You'll be amazed at what is available.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 15:08   #25

MarkJ, how many Bene's are at that international anchorage?

Jus' sain'...
Old 29-12-2008, 17:25   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
MarkJ, how many Bene's are at that international anchorage?
More than any other type of boat. Same with all our travels so far.

Would be a bit of fun for a survey! We have found a Bene in every port and more than any other boat.

Interestingly the further away from civilization the more sturdy the boats become. In the Caribbean there are lots of everything and about 1/2 Cats. Panama 1/3 cats. Pacific 10-15% cats.

South Pacific islands there are lots of sturdy boats, not so glamous but tougher. The average boat size is over 40 feet.

Crossing the Pacific I remember only a few small boats. One 34 footer that was on the missing list (don't know if he was found), 2 just under 30ft in Tonga (one particularly fast one from a CF member who reminds me often how he beat the pants off us in a race!!!).
One boat in Tonga that was 20 feet long and did Samoa to Tonga in 3 days - 300 miles ie 100 miles per day!

I saw a photo in Cruising World mag of Ushuaia that port look full of steel boats lol and a Bene!

So, in summary, as a general guide: Bigger boats and lots of different types. Always a Beneteau or 2. Fewer Catamarans that one would expect; very few small boats.

Mark

Old 29-12-2008, 19:58   #27

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Its been done by others, so why the hell not?

My orgininal boat was a Grampian 26. I was planning on taking it across the atlantic, and had several people with transatlantic experience look at it with that in mind. Yes, you can do it. Its a pretty minimalist approach but it can be done. Forsailbyowner has a good point about the cockpit, companionway and drainage. I was planning on closing off the transom, shortening the cockpit (a gramps cockpit is 8 ft long and a huge bathtub, drained by two 1.25 inch holes) and covering over the last 3 feet of it for a locker, extending the rudder shaft to the new lazarette deck and shifting the tiller to that height. Install huge drains. I also closed off the lower hatch board and rebuilt the companion way to make it stronger. What the biggest problem was is the grampians huge main cabin portlights which are about 14 inches by 48. they are only 1/8 lexan. These would have had to be removed, sealed and smaller ones put in.

As for provisions, a small watermaker will keep you in water. The Survivor 35 will give you 1.2 gallons for an hours work on the handle. As for food, since you are space challenged, go talk to a dietician and have them help you put up a menu for say 3 months. Think rice n beans. Dry, high density staples. Fuel is a bit harder. It takes up space, and is heavy. How much do you want to carry?

If people have done it before, theres no reason you cant do it. You are not breaking new ground. Read the books put out by those who have done it before and apply the knowledge they gained.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 20:04   #28

Cape Dory Discussion Board

Do a search on this topic on the Cape Dory Discussion Board. Cape Dory Boats - Index

You will find some information on it about a CD-25 that was sailed from the U.S. west coast to Austrailia. Joe (CD-25 sailor/owner)

Ps. You will need to beef up some parts to make it safer for a extended voyaging.
joefromw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 20:23   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Not everything that could be done should be. It sure won't even come close to breaking any records. Probably wouldn't make the TV news if you did it or died trying.

If you did it and had just a heck of a great time and no one ever knew it might be still be worth it.

If you have to ask you probably are not ready. It's mostly about you being ready.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 21:14   #30
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Mark

I said it was theoretically possible. And that folks are doing it. Now...would I do it?

No.

Then again, there are some folks that would think that crossing the Pacific in a Bene 393 was suicidal

Or that leaving the Caribbean was lunacy to begin with!!
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory, round the world