Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2012, 22:46   #61

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Is it possible to go blue water in a 13 foot guppy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2169 View Post
I have a 13 foot guppy pocket cabin cruiser sailboat, It has dual saltwater electric motors and 160 lbs of thrust. I have just installed a lightweight lithum battery pack and 180 watts of solar pannels that I built in to the top of the cabin. I beefed up the riging and the hull to handle heavier conditions. I was hoping to take on the coconut milk run in 2013. Do you think it would be crazy to try? I have sailed it around in lakes, but I have never taken to the ocean. It has a wide beam for it's length and is pretty stable in choppy waters. I would like to sail it to the Vava'u Island group in Tonga. I have heard that someone crossed the atlantic with one in the 70's. I was thinking it would be possible to make it if I had others nearby to help me if I got into trouble. any ideas?
Do it! Just stop talking about it. I will notify the judges for the darwin awards. That will save you a phone call. Dont worry about silly things like water makers and life rafts, they just make you a slave to society. All you need is a good fishhook and bucket to catch rain in. No problems. See you on the other side!
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 23:26   #62

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It is quite possible to skydive once without a parachute. But it is not possible to skydive twice.
Recently disproved.

Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 01:52   #63
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post

Did you see the next vid of the 80 year old that slips out of the parachute almost reproving the point? Holy Moly!
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 11:01   #64

Boat: Bristol 38.8

You mean skydive like this?

Maybe he should take one of those flying squirrel suits on his 13 footer. He could fly himself off the stern as a kite in windy weather. Might make a good sea anchor.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 11:12   #65

Boat: OEM, proportional

This couple are Caribbean regulars, though their boat has a two foot advantage over yours. Bet they have a whole lot more fun and less expense than many a cruiser, though.

Microcruising
Old 26-11-2012, 12:01   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719
This couple are Caribbean regulars, though their boat has a two foot advantage over yours. Bet they have a whole lot more fun and less expense than many a cruiser, though.

Microcruising
Actually I know a guy who has a sister to that boat, sans motor- only uses a ulah. Been to the Bahamas on numerous occasions. But unlike the OP he has a ton of experience. Anyone who knows him would crew with him in a heartbeat, if there was room!

Comes back to the point I made a few pages back- it is more the sailor than the boat.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 12:09   #67

Boat: OEM, proportional

Well.....there has to be a certain lower limit that even the best sailor can't breach. I believe the record for an ocean crossing is about 3 feet plus change...from memory, it's even mentioned on that link I gave.

Curmy, I tried that gliding thingy when I was about 6. I learned two things.

1. Polytarps tied to wrists & ankles give a poor glide ratio, somewhat lower than one of Lilienthal's designs, but still marginally better than a housebrick.

2. Flying is not dangerous. Landing, is dangerous.

Ok, three things.

3. Knitting needles are a must when wearing a plaster cast for any length of time.
Old 26-11-2012, 12:09   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post

Microcruising
i like the disclaimer on the site!

Disclaimer: Like many other outdoor activities in life, sailing small boats has it's own inherent dangers and risks that could result in injury or even death. Therefore, it's our sincere suggestion that you consider this website as simply a collection of our experiences and our strategies on how we plan and take our own trips. We might also add that though we admire and favor a particular style of watercraft, we can not guarantee your satisfaction or safety in the same vessel since everyone has different boat handling skills and the weather and sea conditions on any body of water can be unpredictable. Nonetheless, if you decide to venture from the perceived safety of your own home, you may have the opportunity to experience what this incredible wet world has to offer.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 13:07   #69

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Can't be any worse an idea than rowing or paddling across an ocean. Now that is stupid imo.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 20:56   #70

Boat: Tanzer 7.5 sailboat | Current Designs Solstice GTS kayak

Ed Gillet kayaked from SoCal to Hawaii. When he got there he said "I'm very glad I did it now that I'm here, but there were times during my trip when I thought it was a terrible mistake." and so may you too.
alan_za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 01:00   #71

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

first up this post made me wonder if anyone had made a boat out of a coffin (googled it, couldn't find any), then i read someone in a 3'6" boat, crap thats only half a coffin !

wow, you must be a very resilient person to even think about such a thing.

edit: comparing this to a mono on a freeway is a bit out there, i have done 1000's of them without incident...
Old 28-11-2012, 02:29   #72

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Hey,you could take along the Swedish girl who just advertised on this site? Apparently she is very small.
Old 28-11-2012, 02:53   #73

Boat: Beneteau 323

Let's get back to the data...

Bas Jan Ader tried sailing a Guppy 13 across the Atlantic. The boat was evenutally found "partially submerged" 150 miles off the coast of Ireland. Bas Jan Ader was not on it.

See:
Bas Jan Ader - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 03:01   #74

Boat: Beneteau 323

Bas Jan Ader named his voyage ""In Search of the Miraculous"... perhaps a blue water passage on a Guppy 13 is only recommended if you are searching for a miracle?
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 05:18   #75

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2169
I have a 13 foot guppy pocket cabin cruiser sailboat, It has dual saltwater electric motors and 160 lbs of thrust. I have just installed a lightweight lithum battery pack and 180 watts of solar pannels that I built in to the top of the cabin. I beefed up the riging and the hull to handle heavier conditions. I was hoping to take on the coconut milk run in 2013. Do you think it would be crazy to try? I have sailed it around in lakes, but I have never taken to the ocean. It has a wide beam for it's length and is pretty stable in choppy waters. I would like to sail it to the Vava'u Island group in Tonga. I have heard that someone crossed the atlantic with one in the 70's. I was thinking it would be possible to make it if I had others nearby to help me if I got into trouble. any ideas?
Of course it's possible, and don't let any of these negative Nancy's discourage you. In many ways your boat is better prepared than any of the large boats. When the waves are high a small boat like yours will tend to ride on the peaks and troughs rather than span them as happens so often with many of the traditional seagoing boats. The ocean is cruel to those behemoths.

Your boat is less likely to require a large amount of wind to move it, and that makes it safer than the heavier full-keel sailboats because you will be able to keep moving in light airs, thus shortening the journey. One maxim I have always believed is that "a quick journey is a safe journey" simply because there is less chance of poor weather.

So yes, this boat should be up to the task. Some here will tell you take courses and practice; basically they are advising you to give up on your dream and whittle your life away, but you and I know that it is important to "just do it."
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water