Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 12:12   #121

Boat: Beneteau 423
Re: Is it Bad Luck to Change Names of Used Boats?

Half the fun is going through the name changing ceremony. Besides it is hard to distinguish bad luck from normal boat stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 14:17   #122

The idea is that changing the name of a boat takes her out, removes her, eliminates her, snuffs, terminates, destroys without a record, knocks her off, none of which are lucky.

Unless!

There's a celebration, one that draws attention of the world, underworld and overworld to her elimination. A celebration to end celebrations . . . one to draw the Gods attention, to leave no doubt she's still with us, but with a new 'do.'

A do for you.
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:04   #123

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

All kidding aside, I think the renaming ceremony is just another excuse for a party, which is OK with me, the more the merrier. It's also the coming out party for your new obsession.
Luck? I'm not superstitious, most of the problems I've encountered were of my of my own making. Weather changes, things break, stuff you should have fixed but put off failed, stuff happens, roll with it, make sure you have a backup plan for your backup plan, but by all means, don't live with a boat name you can't stand.
Then again, don't give it a name you'll regret, be creative, name it for something that really fits your wants and needs. You'll be spending plenty of money and elbow grease on it, might as well like the name.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:48   #124
h20

what a funny thread. In hawaii they tell you it's bad luck to take black sand, lava, shells, what ever. A bus driver made it up because people were leaving on the bus for him to clean up. Humans. Hey I start as many rumors as i can as GOOD LUCK. If a person drops something on their foot, I say, "thats good luck!". Any little happening that the person gripes about, tell'em, thats good luck. For me. Friday the 13th is good luck, ha!
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:01   #125

Boat: '83 Endeavour 40

We had our denaming/renaming cerermony yesterday, and it wasn't about the party -- there were only 6 of us present, and one happened to be a dock neighber who saw what was going on and wandered over. After the ceremony, we didn't even stick around, as we had things to do.

For us it was more a matter of, well, it certainly can't HURT to do it, so three bottles of wine, one silver half dollar, and 30 minutes later the Gods were appeased (hopefully) and we have some cool pictures of us on the bow
Old 04-08-2014, 07:53   #126

This thread is deliciously funny. I know some boat owners that changed the name of their boat without a bat of an eye, and didn't do anything extra. Others refuse to even consider the idea.

I just hope boat owners will pick good solid names for their boats, instead of ones that are hard to remember!

Birds Travels <-- Newbie learning the ropes of the sea!
birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:10   #127
h20

Quote:
Originally Posted by birds View Post
This thread is deliciously funny. I know some boat owners that changed the name of their boat without a bat of an eye, and didn't do anything extra. Others refuse to even consider the idea.

I just hope boat owners will pick good solid names for their boats, instead of ones that are hard to remember!
yes, ha. I thought of a name for my new boat!
"who cares" please don't steal it!
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:19   #128

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Some names are more creative or fitting, some have been used far too much.
I'll leave it at that.
One of my old boats was renamed "Short Bus" by the guy I sold it to, not sure I'd use that one, it's definitely politically incorrect, but I didn't get 15 responses over the VHF when I hailed him, it was the only boat with that name on it.
BTW that was some time ago, that same boat showed up in the same boat yard mine wintered in last year, with a different name, apparently the new owner wasn't comfortable with it. He named it "Carper Diem". Oiy.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:29   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Only if you believe in luck.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:05   #130

The bottom of the sea is full of ships and boats with original names and new names!! You make your own luck!!...............................But maybe, just to be on the safe side

I suppose it depends on the name!! If the boat is called after your ex wife, it might be a good idea to change it!!
Captaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:42   #131

Boat: Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaen View Post
The bottom of the sea is full of ships and boats with original names and new names!! You make your own luck!!...............................But maybe, just to be on the safe side

I suppose it depends on the name!! If the boat is called after your ex wife, it might be a good idea to change it!!
Which is why the only women you should name a boat after is your mother or a daughter, never your wife - just in case.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 13:34   #132
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBH49520 View Post
Just bought a boat and have a similar dilemma, to rename or not to rename! She is called Lover, which I'm not really a fan of. If you were to look at her a name like that just wouldn't spring to mind! Interesting earlier posts (from 2010!) that mention anagrams and the like. The current owners even suggested that maybe a 'C' could be added, Clover, which keeps 'lover' in the name but is now completely different. I have ridden my luck all my life so Clover would suit (it would be a no-brainer if I were Irish!). Aie aie aie, decisions decisions...!! :-)
I can see how the name "Lover" would cause some problems when you visit a new harbor or marina.

I have another suggestion for adding single letter that would change the name to a nice one: "Plover."

A Plover is a small (cute really) wading shore bird found everywhere but the Sahara. So, it gets around, is small, pretty, and is found near the shore or by the water. There is even a "Snow Plover" if you are going to go to high latitude sailing.

Or, if you liked "My Fair Lady" (musical) you could use "Loverly"
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 13:42   #133
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Sometimes I think the whole 'Bad Luck to rename' rumor was started by people selling new boats.....

but having said that, I have only changed the name on one, and it's the most troublesome I have ever owned.

I have always thought the source was the previous owner who wanted HIS/HER choice to remain, as a mark of their previous ownership. Especially if the boat was named by or for the woman in the family.

Such personal names like "Lucy Ann" or "Gweneth" or such are harder to explain to the new owner's woman (or GF).

Or just plain confusing if the new owner is a woman.

I am surprised there are not more boats named "Yes Dear."
Old 06-08-2014, 14:00   #134
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Be careful about accepting name suggestions when you don't speak the language that the name comes from.
Hilarious!

The crew on that ship must know something about the "pucker factor" when at sea.
Old 04-08-2015, 19:48   #135

Boat: Coronet Oceanfarer30

To change a boat name is sacrilege in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ironman162 is offline   Reply With Quote