Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2010, 04:35   #91

Tahitian Boat Names
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 08:56   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminidawn View Post
Hmmm........ Good question, well if history is anything to go by it didn't work out too well for "The Amazon" (Mary Celeste).
IMHO the whole bad luck to change names came form the early days of the 16th centruary by the EiTC in an effort to cut down on racketeering, bureaucracy and fraud.
I can see that policy really did them a lot of good, esp. cutting down on the bureaucracy part....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 13:28   #93

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Cheers sbenest the weather is kinda working it's way out of a mid winter calm, the sea is as flat as a mirror but I can't get much work done due to the cold, no paint will dry and no resin will cure, hence I'm thinking of venturing to warmer climates for future winters just so I can get some work done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
I like the name Geminidawn - have a friend whose boat is named Templedawn, and remember well when he towed my Catamaran back to our marina in bad weather when a fishing net could not be removed from the 2 props.
For a Pahi 63 how about Polynesian Tahition boat name:-
Gemini Dawn is the name I gave to all my projects and prototypes. I couldn't get the backing of the college I was attending at an International Science Festival "Walk on Water" competition so I called the team "Gemini Dawn", we won and managed to get into the Guinness Book of Records 2005. Now I just keep it as a business name.

Thank you for the list of Tahitian names but it seems that every God given Wharram from 14-65ft is sporting a polynesian name so I figured I'd call it something ancient Celtic. Pahi 63 "Il-Dana".
It comes from the ancient cycle "Nuada of the Silver Arm".
When Lord Balor looked to the distant horizon and said to his aid "What omen is this for I see a star upon the horizon that dose not wait for the darkness of night". The soothsayer replied "That is no star but the Il-Dana and who has come to fulfil a prophecy"
Geminidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 16:51   #94
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbenest View Post
I'm not sure about the boat name changes, but what are you guys drinking?
Large Caiparenha please... heavy on the rum....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 17:39   #95
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
I thought that was with Cachaca...
Old 26-01-2010, 17:41   #96

Send a message via AIM to steve206
I agree with trebek!

yotspot.com
steve206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 13:38   #97

Boat: Looking for our first boat
Interesting. More people than not (including this forum) believe a name change is okay as long as you pay your dues to the gods of the sea and to make sure that alcohol is involved.

Thanks to whoever pointed out to not come up with a name that is difficult to spell, pronounce, or just plain awkward. We are thinking of using the middle names of my wife and daughter but definitely will check with the boat and ask her what she thinks as well.
Jim Buffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 15:56   #98

Finally getting my good Luck back

I have to Agree with previous Warnings, be careful.

I bought my beautiful old Olle Enderleiner some 16 years ago with the clear plan to spend 15 months on a rebuild.
I was then a happy Airline Captain with a perfect life, out flying 5 days ( do not dare to call it work back in them days) and after that 4 days of nice boat building!
Just after I decided to change the name on the Yacht I was offered a Management Position as a Chief Pilot and all of a sudden I found myself working 5 days with regular office hours and only 2 days of for boat building.
A few years later My son did se a fantastic yach in the Med that was almost affordable and we bought her.
In the contract it was stated that the name should be changed and so we did. Once again just after the name change things got worse as I was offered a VP jobb with the possibility to work constantly without any limitations of office hours or to what day it was.

Fortunately the bad luck fades and since a few months back I´m on an early retirement deal and getting on track with the old restoration projekt started 16 year ago.
I will have the possibility to unlimited sailing and fore sure I´ve learnt the lesson,
NEVER EVER CHANGE A YACHTS NAME.

Rgds

Kristian
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 11:37   #99

OK, I've read this whole thread....what's with the Redhaired women thing? Background?
dkirby_jwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 13:13   #100

Boat: Riviera 35
I heard somewhere that noon on Friday was the pay day for the crews of the ships in Port in Liverpool, and that if the ship sailed on the same day, the crew were usually so drunk that accidents happened.

Where I live in Essex, we don't ever change a boat's name, as we can't find any virgins.
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 17:02   #101

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirby_jwa View Post
OK, I've read this whole thread....what's with the Redhaired women thing? Background?
Red hair is rare and rarer still in and around the Med, the cradle of christianity, those with fiery red hair and pale skin were traditionally seen as pagans of the north and practisioners of the occult in such places. Women were more powerful than men in such practices and feared greatly.
It is still a supersitition in some parts of Spain today that those with red hair meddle in witchcraft.
Geminidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 17:08   #102

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
It's ok if you throw some salt over you shoulder and a little in the bilge.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 19:03   #103

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter
I've been struggling with this. My new boat, Windsong, has a common name and it is bothering me. I even saw a Hunter 26 on a trailer going by me on the highway named Windsong. Mine will be gutted and completely refinished. Possibly a full color re-arrangement. I figure it will pretty much be an entirely new boat. With the proper ceremony, notifying Neptune and all, maybe I'll be ok.
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 20:15   #104

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
It's ok if your boat sinks it won't be because of name change it will be poor maintanence-poor seamanship or some other silly thing you do.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 10:42   #105

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirby_jwa View Post
Ahhh, Red. My favorite flavor.