Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2010, 14:41   #46

Again, I prefer the traditional, and would do everything in my power not to change the name of a boat. But if I found the exact boat I'm searching for, and it happened to have a name like "Wet Dream" or something equally hidious. I could find it within myself to do a name change and probably not worry about it too much.

I still wouldnt set sail on a Friday..... unless of course a hurricane was on its way.

This is a fun thread, lets try to keep the tone fun as well folks.
Trebek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 14:43   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I got lost here. Are we the heathens or the scolds?
Its not often I get accused of being ignorant and condescending in the same post!
Well done!
By my reading of the post,

you're an ignorant heathen,

Gord is a condescending scold,

and I'm running very fast with a target on my back.

paradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 14:48   #48

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek1 View Post
Again, I prefer the traditional, and would do everything in my power not to change the name of a boat. But if I found the exact boat I'm searching for, and it happened to have a name like "Wet Dream" or something equally hidious. I could find it within myself to do a name change and probably not worry about it too much.

I still wouldnt set sail on a Friday..... unless of course a hurricane was on its way.

This is a fun thread, lets try to keep the tone fun as well folks.
Indeed!...

One of the most fun moments with Layla was going through the name changing ceremony; sailing backwards and all... and, I bet the rum even tasted better because we were having such a blast

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 15:34   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mantis View Post
I suppose you've an easy way of distinguishing one from the other ...
... If half of sailing tradition is the product of centuries of observation, trial-and-error, and hard-won experience, and the other half is harmless superstition, are we better off telling people to follow the traditions or to disregard them? Do we have a quick and easy way of telling which half is which? And no, I'm not talking about boat renaming, but rather the hundreds of little things we're taught that most of us don't examine too carefully...
Applying critical thought & careful examination to acquired knowledge helps to distinguish fact from fiction.

I apologise for “scolding”.

I don’t believe I have been condescending.

Regards: “Red sky at night, sailors’ delight. Red sky in morning, sailors take warning”

Many weather proverbs were formulated to describe observed (& more or less true), but unexplained, weather phenomenon. Many of these, such “red sky” have since been scientifically explained.

In the Northern hemisphere, weather generally moves from west to east, blown by the westerly trade winds. This means storm systems generally move in from the West.

The colours we see in the sky are due to the rays of sunlight being split into colours of the spectrum, as they pass through the atmosphere, and ricochet off the water vapour and particles in the atmosphere. The amounts of water vapour and dust particles in the atmosphere are good indicators of weather conditions. They also determine which colours we will see in the sky.

During sunrise and sunset the sun is low in the sky, and it transmits light through the thickest part of the atmosphere. A red sky suggests an atmosphere loaded with dust and moisture particles. We see the red, because red wavelengths (the longest in the colour spectrum) are breaking through the atmosphere. The shorter wavelengths, such as blue, are scattered and broken up.

When we see a red sky at night, this means that the setting sun is sending its light through a high concentration of dust particles. This usually indicates high pressure and stable air coming in from the west. Basically good weather will follow.

A red sunrise reflects the dust particles of a system that has just passed from the west. This indicates that a storm system may be moving to the east. If the morning sky is a deep fiery red, it means a high water content in the atmosphere. So, rain is on its way.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 15:37   #50

Boat: Ericson 35
It's not bad luck to change the name of a boat without notification to King Neptune it's just rude. Remember he has no typewriter, computer or white-out to keep track of all the vessel names.
Greenflash35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 15:42   #51

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflash35 View Post
It's not bad luck to change the name of a boat without notification to King Neptune it's just rude. Remember he has no typewriter, computer or white-out to keep track of all the vessel names.
Hmmm... Do you know that for a fact?.. I'd rather not take any chances

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 16:00   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek1 View Post
Laugh all you want... Take the piss... Whatever! But you can't change the old rules of sailing. Don't change the name of your ship (Ask the Merrimac?), and don't ever start your voyage on a Friday...

don't leave your hat on a bed either.....

And don't have a red haired woman on board either......
take her ashore 1st......

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 16:02   #53

Boat: Tartan 3ooo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Buffet View Post
Definitely going to purchase a used boat (soon!) and curious if it is bad luck to change her name. Some old-timers have told me it's a big no-no. Is this really a big deal?
Note when i see this post was 666 viewing............
Old 21-01-2010, 16:12   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
A rusty roof means a wet basement!
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 17:03   #55

Boat: 880 waller catamaran
no such thing as luck, bad or good, what some people call bad luck is nothing short of than poor or no planning
Polunu880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 17:59   #56

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
Despite the several directions this thread seems to be going, just keep in mind that whether you are superstitious or not, the renaming ceremony is often one hell of a party.
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 18:28   #57

Boat: Young 43
Changing Boat Names

We have not had any bad luck so far after changing our yacht's name from "By Order Of The Secretary" to "Attunga" some four months ago. We did follow certain procedures which are set out below.
Everywhere the old name or its nickname,"Boots' was written it was crossed out/deleted and the new name written.As a former serious race boat this included cushions,hatch covers ,the hull,radio call signs,epirb rego ,State & Australian rego,sail covers etc.
We sailed out to sea with our two kids and sailed into irons and then backwards and renamed the boat,popped the champagne cork,made an offering to the sea gods and a glass for ourselves and the boat.
I have heard of a virgin being involved with the ceremony but in our case our single daughter let the ceremony.
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 20:54   #58

Quote:
That one pretains to ones house as well as ones boat. Lol!
Old 21-01-2010, 21:06   #59

Quote:
no such thing as luck, bad or good, what some people call bad luck is nothing short of than poor or no planning
You got the right idea brother and what you say is completely logical and true. But sometimes **** just hits the fan out there. Water can be most illogical. No matter how much we plan or claim to understand sailing on water, things beyond our control will surprise. This unknown world of surprise needs to be appeased.

Do not embark on a journey if its Friday. Keep your hat off the bed. And don't rename your boat unless absolutely necessary.
Old 21-01-2010, 21:34   #60

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
I'm with Gord on this one.
We purchased our boat more than a year ago, and of course the name she had, sola gratia... no, don't think so. This boat has had 6 owners I believe, and 6 names. A 7th wouldn't hurt.
So we renamed her to Sarah Claire, a combination of my mothers first name, and my wifes Grandfaters first name... it fits. It would have been the name of a daughter had we had one, but we were cursed with sons only... lol. J/K.
But here is is, over a year later and the damn name is unchanged on the transom. I really need to get the sander out and get the old name off, but its painted on... and the tender is in the way, and I have so much else to do...
But it is a priority asap.
Bob