Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2007, 13:21   #1

Boat: s/v Sirius - 1988 Island Packet 27
Question Irwin Citation 34 (or Other Suggestions)

Looking through the forums and doing a search on 'Irwin' it seems that, with the exception of a few people, the concensus is to stay away from Irwins. I'm curious as to why. According to their specs, they seem to be solid boats. I've been looking specifically at the early to mid-80's model Citation 34's as well as a few 37's. I would be using it as an liveaboard island hopper around the Caribbean with some trips out to Bermuda and MAYBE, maybe one day across the Atlantic.
And, if not an Irwin, what would be a good choice in a 32'-36' that could be found for less than $30k? It's funny that I began searching for boats about a year ago, thinking that I needed a 42-footer and wanted to spend $150k. That just seems silly to me now. I don't need it. And it seems that my financial situation has changed as I'm not as excited to work for the next 5 years to fund something like that. I'm ready to go now!
Thanks for your input.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:15   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Irwin Yachts website has lots of detailed information:
Irwin Yachts

See also:

Irwin
Irwin Owners Homepage

Irwin Email Discussion List
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/irwin

Irwin 10/4
Help! Who knows of a contact for this good old boat?

Irwin Yachts Links
http://www.irwinyachts.com/Marine_Links/Links.htm

Irwin Yahoo Group
irwinsailboats : Irwin Sailboat Owners

Irwin MSN Group
Irwin Owners

Irwin Owners Discussions and Posts
Forum: Irwin

Irwin Owners Forum
IrwinSailboats@lists.sailboatowners.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:51   #3

I love my 1982 Irwin 34' Citation. I sail all around fla. and bahamas.
Drifter2869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:41   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Looking through the forums and doing a search on 'Irwin' it seems that, with the exception of a few people, the concensus is to stay away from Irwins.
The issue isn't so much with Irwins exactly it's more a matter of mid 1980's boats. They all come with some problems, but most of them are about being 20 years old and not the label of who manufactured it. The one thing you should find here is most everyone with a boat loves it.

You do have to expect to spend significant time cleaning your sweat off the deck. With that in mind, the Irwin seems better than staying home. Sailing is mostly about showing up. Make the money work and set sail.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:35   #5

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Irwin 10/4
Help! Who knows of a contact for this good old boat?
When I was in 7th or 8th grade, living in Sarasoate, FL, we had an Irwin 10/4--so called because its beam was 10'4". We sailed it on Sarasota Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. That boat was only 25 feet long--quite a bit of beam for a boat that length. My 28' Pearson Triton has only 8 feet of beam! It also had a wheel, and it was the first boat my parents ever owned with a wheel. After taking it out several times and trying to get used to sailing with a wheel instead of a tiller, they decided on a name for the boat -- Snake Wake. It was an appropriate name.

We also had an Irwin 30 that we sailed from Bradenton, FL to the Dry Tortugas and the Floriday Keys on a two-week trip. That was our first trip with bad weather -- halfway between Bradenton and the Dry Tortugas, in the middle of the night, with 30 knots of wind and big seas. The boat did fine, although it was the first time I was ever seasick. Later, my parents, younger sister, and I lived on that boat for about three months at the Holiday Inn marina in Bradenton, FL. My dad had lost his job and, while trying to find another one, my parents couldn't afford both house rent and a boat payment. They asked my sister and I if we would mind living aboard the boat for a short time so we could keep her -- we were all for it.

Oh...sorry, I don't have a contact for the 10/4, but it was a cool boat!
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:22   #6

Talking

Wow Gord! Thanks!! Very helpful

I was really expecting some negative feedback on Citation, but it seems that it may not be a bad bet after all. Pblais, I fully understand the sweat equity that will go into a mid-80's boat and am ready to take it on.

Yachtworld has a few listed out in FL and GA (I'm in TX) so I may head out there in a week or two to survey, sea trial, buy and sail on down to Puerto Rico. I also have a couple of Endeavour 32's to check out.

Thanks for the input!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:29   #7

Boat: gemini 3200
Irwin 33

We had a '74 Irwin 33 that was fun and fast boat for 5 years. I was invited on a few of the later versions 42' & 38' that were as nice as anything in that age/price range.

Ya, all boats have issues but if we hadn't fallen so hard for the space and speed of a cat, we'd still own her.

CHeeRS!
-dennis
fla.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 15:38   #8
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I didnt go looking for a certain brand of boat but knew mostly what I wanted. A molded in full keel, protected rudder and prop, a lot of room for a liveaboard business. When I saw the morgan outislander on stands I could see it fit the bill. A bolted on keel just strikes me as wrong, and I know Ill take some flak for that one but its just an opinion. Keep in mind the draft as the areas your going contain many areas that will be off limits to deeper draft boats. That being said there are two Irwins for sale in the marina Im currently in. 85 Irwin citation 34' and a 37' Ketch rigged center cockpit. Both are around the 30k price. The owner of the citation has bought a larger boat to accomodate larger family but praises Liberty as a liveaboard cruiser
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 22:47   #9

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
I owned a 1984 Irwin Citation 34. Was getting her ready to cruise the Bahamas but then came across a newer catamaran (thus more $). Sold the Irwin to a guy in Port St. Lucie, Florida who regularly sails her over to the Abaco's. He loves the boat as well. Quite roomy for a 34 ft'er - 11.6 ft beam with 6 ft headroom. Pretty modern looking boat for an '84. I had to deal with a few blisters but nothing too extensive. Look for possible leaky port holes and check for the condition of the bulkheads where chainplates are secured. Boat sailed great (quite fast) and pointed well. For power I would go with the 3 cylinder Yanmar verse the smaller 2 cylinder. Not much of a fan of the swing keel - instead liked the set 4 ft shoal draft keel. Although it sold I still have my posting of her to gander at Surf NRG In sum, I'd give her a thumbs up. Good luck with your research.
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 14:42   #10

Going Shopping

I have booked my ticket to Florida from Oct 15 to 22 and have about 8 boats (Irwin 34's and Endeavour 32's) that I am going to look at. Starting out in Miami and working my way up to Jacksonville. If anyone is in the area at that time and would like to meet up, send me a private message and I'll give you my contact info.

If all goes well, I'll make a pre-survey offer on one and have a surveyor go out when I get back to TX. After that, it will be just a short time later that I will be back to pick her up and head off to the islands.

Wish me luck! Any advice on FL surveyors and buying a boat in general would be MUCH appreciated.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:26   #11

Irwin boats continued

From the other site of the Atlantic I have falled in love with a Erwin Citation 40' from 1981. Good diesel quite new. Do anyone have experiences concerning the type ?
Spejlsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 18:01   #12

Frost, A friend of mine's parents just decided to sell their 1978 37 ft. Endeavor. They haven't listed it yet but I just heard word. The boat has a Perkins 4018 (50 hp), in nice shape with a new Bimini Dodger and equipped for cruising. I think they're asking $35K. The boat is located in Melbourne, Florida which is on the Central part East Coast Florida. It'd be worth a look.
Old 14-10-2007, 14:51   #13

Frost, I'm down here near Stuart and see that there's two other 37 ft Endevour's for sale here locally but listed at $57 (1982) and $59K (1978). So, my friends parent's 37 ft (1978) Endevour that I mentioned above might be a great deal and worth checkin out if you're in Florida being that they're asking over $20K less. And she's set up for cruising. Send me a PM and I'll give you a number where you can reach them at. Anyone else that's interested can send me a PM as well on the boat.
Old 09-06-2009, 19:12   #14

Boat: Looking ...
Irwin Citation 34

Not a reply, but additional inquiry along same lines as Frost.

I am considering a 1985 Citation 34 Shoal draft (4-ft 3-in) model.

One boat review in particular is causing me problems and has me questioning if its even worthwhile going ahead with the expense of survey & haul out is the review by Jack Hornor in the November 2000 issue of Spinsheets - Chesapeake Bay Sailing

"...the decks, on the other hand, are a different story. The deck and hull are joined on an inward flange with sheet metal screws through an extruded aluminum toe rail. There have been more than a few problems with the fit of the deck-to-hull joint, and leaks are a common problem that are difficult and expensive to repair due to inaccessibility.

Although some of the deck hardware is attached with nuts, bolts and washers, the lifeline stanchions, bow and stern rails are fastened with screws. This is not only unsafe, but loosening fittings allow water to penetrate the balsa core decks leading to very expensive repairs. Leaks around poorly fit windows and ports are also common but are more easily remedied."

The boat looks generally clean with no obvious signs of water damage.
However, this review is causing considerable angst.
What is the conventional wisdom on the Citation --- and the article by Jack Hornor?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

tks
Rick
KK5RX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 15:15   #15

I am curious about Rick's question as well.
AKCoastie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Irwin, irwin citation