Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 07:53   #16

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Irwin 65 / 68 for world cruising

Years ago I was told a couple of horror stories about these boats. I have no idea as to the truthfulness of these anecdotes.

1) When hull #1 was taken to a boat show (Miami?) the delivery crew ran into some bad weather and one side of the hull had some oil canning in a bulkhead area. They made sure to tie the boat alongside with the oil canning on the side away from the dock.

2) There were two reports of 65'ers losing their keels while being delivered to the Caribbean. At least one apparently got there anyway.

As I said, I have no knowledge as to the veracity of these stories. I remember at the time that I trusted the people who told them to me. I would not normally post something like this, but some of the previous posts indicated that there might be something to all this.

If I were thinking about purchasing one I'd like to know about this stuff.
Old 09-07-2016, 17:23   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

More anecdotal stuff:

We met one irwin 65 when in the Marquesas, years ago. We spent some time aboard her, having a good look around. My general impression was negative, especially with regard to the rig and sailing hardware which was WAY undersized for the displacement of the boat.

Obviously, it had reached French Polynesia from Florida somehow, but we observed that the owner hardly ever raised a sail, preferring to motor everywhere. He was a terrible jerk in lots of ways, so this didn't really surprise us!! At any rate, I would view at least that specific Irwin with great suspicion as a serious cruising platform. It was a good party platform, though, and that is what it was largely used for.

Jim
Old 11-07-2016, 13:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
We looked at 2 smaller and one larger irwin, all had structural issues. The issues we found were, delaminated bulk heads, severe leaking from cheap fixtures causing a lot of core problems, weak hull to deak joint seam allowing water intrusion. Coring on coachroof upper deck structure gone from poor port light bedding, and the later 43s hull we looked at was one huge blister. Maybe a Good coastal / marina boat. Unless the 50+ size versions were built completely different.

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Thanks - interesting concerns. Im assuming a survey will pick up waterlogged core (bolster I'm sure was the type of wood)... delaminating bulkheads and separation of deck from hull is a huge liability. I'm wondering how you would check that?
joshrosenthal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 13:40   #19
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Seems to be that if an old Irwin 65 appears to be in good condition (it's been taken care of) and surveys well, then it is by definition is a good boat!!!!!!

Everything else may be "interesting", but really are just stories and rumors.
Old 11-07-2016, 13:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Seems to be that if an old Irwin 65 appears to be in good condition (it's been taken care of) and surveys well, then it is by definition is a good boat!!!!!!

Everything else may be "interesting", but really are just stories and rumors.
Sailor boy 1 - thanks. Very hard to cut threw and find the truth. We like these boats because of their size and 'livability'. Kind of like a big Winnebago. sounds like the building process may have been both flawed and successful / perhaps hand made and inconsistent. Perhaps its a matter of identifying the good one or one with extensive retrofit and work. Ive seen a few about the world so some must be ok. Will keep searching... Cheers
Old 11-07-2016, 14:28   #21
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrosenthal1 View Post
Kind of like a big Winnebago. sounds like the building process may have been both flawed and successful / perhaps hand made and inconsistent. Perhaps its a matter of identifying the good one or one with extensive retrofit and work. Ive seen a few about the world so some must be ok. Will keep searching... Cheers
In the old boat world all that matter is the condition the boat is in NOW! A 30+ year old boat in good condition is a good boat. How could someone say otherwise in the face of the fact of the boat being old and still in good condition?

That's my opinion and position.
Old 11-07-2016, 14:42   #22

Good to here.. I was thinking the same thing.... thanks for re-afirrming. It then comes down to nuts and bolts and good quality inquisitive surveys!.
Old 11-07-2016, 21:52   #23

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Good boat is a pretty broad statement. Good world cruiser and good coastal cruiser are more specific. There are enough substantial differences to be pretty clear what is and isn't. Having said that, I've seen some floating hulks handle some lengthy crossings.

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:25   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
In the old boat world all that matter is the condition the boat is in NOW! A 30+ year old boat in good condition is a good boat. How could someone say otherwise in the face of the fact of the boat being old and still in good condition?

That's my opinion and position.
A 30 year old xxx in good condition is a good example of an xxx. It says nothing about how good a boat for some specific application it may be.

How can it be in good condition and not be a good boat??? Well, perhaps it never left the dock except to do bi annual bottom jobs. Who knows?

There seem to be some reasonable criticisms of the Irwin designs in terms of strength and rig, and these have been voiced. Ignore them at your peril... even if the boat is REALLY shiny and has a lot of room below.

"That's my opinion and position"

Jim
Old 12-07-2016, 04:57   #25

Boat: Allures 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
There seem to be some reasonable criticisms of the Irwin designs in terms of strength and rig, and these have been voiced. Ignore them at your peril... even if the boat is REALLY shiny and has a lot of room below.

"That's my opinion and position"

Jim
JoshRosenthal, you would do well to heed the wise advice of someone of Jim's experience, as well as other posters on this thread. I actually spent a season as first mate on an Irwin 65 charter yacht in the Caribbean many years ago when I was a young man. My memory is fuzzy, but I certainly remember that even back then they did not have a good reputation. We never had any major structural issues, but this was a limited time and we also had no particularly rough conditions.
My opinion is that there are plenty of other makes of older boats out there that will satisfy your needs, are much stronger built and far safer blue water cruisers.
savagebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:52   #26

Boat: Bristol 45.5

These boats had mast step problems . They were built out of welded mild steel , mix that with salt water and you have problems . Take a good look at that area. It can be fixed if it has not already been done but it is a large nasty job.

This is a mast step out of an Irwin 65

I personal think they are a nice looking boats with a sweat shear , some were loved and some were forgotten, spend the money and get a complete and competent survey done .

Been plenty of Irwins crossing oceans and you still see the big ones being used in crewed charters.

Loads of great information here

Irwin Yachts - Irwin Sailboats Parts & Manuals
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 11:27   #27

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, Mate. I have a nice Mason 53 down here in New Zealand that has a great layout for our family. The Mason's are known for their solid construction and can handle most conditions. Let me know if you want any specific details and I can send you a private message. If not, all the best and be safe out there. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 15:01   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Years ago I was told a couple of horror stories about these boats. I have no idea as to the truthfulness of these anecdotes.

1) When hull #1 was taken to a boat show (Miami?) the delivery crew ran into some bad weather and one side of the hull had some oil canning in a bulkhead area. They made sure to tie the boat alongside with the oil canning on the side away from the dock.

2) There were two reports of 65'ers losing their keels while being delivered to the Caribbean. At least one apparently got there anyway.

As I said, I have no knowledge as to the veracity of these stories. I remember at the time that I trusted the people who told them to me. I would not normally post something like this, but some of the previous posts indicated that there might be something to all this.

If I were thinking about purchasing one I'd like to know about this stuff.

Let me debunk this,: the above is completely false. The delivery of hull #1 went off with much fan fare and there was no canning of the hull.

No large Irwin has ever lost its keel. The keels are integral to the hull, the lead ballist is completely encapclated with a double hull effect. Removing a keel on a large Irwin would sink the boat in seconds. The glass thickness at the leading edge of the keel on an Irwin 65 is as much as 3 inches thick, yes seriously three (3) inches. The keel has a concrete layer against the glass mixed with shot into which the lead ballast is placed.
Stillwaterboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 21:44   #29

So keel bolts?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-10-2016, 17:29   #30

In the 1980's when I was just getting started learning to sail larger sailboats, I often heard tales of Irwins that sank. If I recall correctly, the problem was not with the keel but rather with how the hull was constructed - in two separate halves and then fiberglassed together. Whether or not that is correct - here's a true tale of one that did sink....

I attended my sister's wedding in Arizona in 1986 where I met their best man. This guy and his father lived on, cruised, and crew-chartered their 65' Irwin in the Caribbean. I asked him about the Irwin's reputation for sinking and he just laughed it off. Well, less than six months later they were sailing on passage between the islands when they had a breach in the hull - the two halves were separating... before they could get to shallow enough water, the boat sunk. It wasn't insured; they lost everything.
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Irwin