Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2012, 06:23   #1

Boat: Just Sold and looking again
Send a message via Skype™ to Just Cruisin
Irwin 44 centre cockpit livaboard material ?

There may already be a thread on this subject, however, I have not found it as yet, therefore, we would welcome any comments / suggestions on the suitability of an Irwin 44 CC as long term livaboard for Carribbean Island cruising. We don't intend to sail constantly as we are in no rush, mostly likely 60 - 70% at anchor to enjoy the lifestyle and "live the dream" so room onboard and installed life's luxuries is more what we are after. Any comments on perhaps a better chose of floating home would also be appreciated from you knowledge people out there.
Just Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 06:42   #2

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"
Re: Irwin 44 centre cockpit livaboard material ?

Morgan Out Island (tall rig) might be a viable option. Some Irwins were good and some were bad. It depends on when it was built. At one point they were using inexperienced workers as part of a prisoner rehab experiment and quality suffered.
All the best -
Clif
clifford sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 07:23   #3

Boat: Just Sold and looking again
Send a message via Skype™ to Just Cruisin

Cheers Clif, I thank you for your comment on the Irwin, very interesting, funnily enough I have just been looking at the Morgan's from reading someone else thread on here, they do look a nice looking, well built yacht, we are looking around the 45ft mark but plus or minus a little would be fine. The tall rig appears to be the one to go for, good amount of room and kit onboard, we are no doubt looking for something built in the 80's due to our budget but some good options out there. Anyone looking to sell theirs !!!
Just Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 14:47   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Before deciding on a cat we looked at a large Irwin cc ketch . She was decked out with all furling sails, new engine, all new rigging ,electronics etc. After we inspected it we discovered the boat severe issues with torsional flexing, damaged / rotted bulkheads. It was essentialy an unsafe boat and even though had 70k invested would have taken half as much to fix what was wrong with it. It was worth more parted out and they were only asking 35k
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 09:26   #5

Bumping this thread as we have come across an Irwin 44 CC in our quest for a suitable boat for the same conditions.

Any more input on the 44 CCs?
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 10:53   #6

Boat: Endeavour 43

Choosing a boat is such an emotional issue and I'm sure the owner of any boat will say it's perfect for them. I've always liked center cockpit boats for the cabin layout. People who prefer aft cockpit boats will say center cockpit boats are wetter. Perhaps yes perhaps no. A good dodger tends to cure those issues. I too looked at Morgan OI and when I looked at them for a second time I noticed how the interior tended to narrow the cabin sole. Ultimately I found an Endeavour 43 CC ketch and have really enjoyed the boat. The boat itself is rather tall which provides wonderful daylight below what with 20 opening portals and 4 large hatches. At over 6.5 feet of headroom throughout it provides a spacious interior. Since 80% of cruising is done on the hook living accommodations like this provide a very nice home. I was concerned of course that a boat like this might not sail very well. There are a number of boats out there that are roomy inside but sail like a dog. As was told to me by other Endeavour owners, you may not get there first but you won’t be last either. Instead you’ll enjoy your sundowners in comfort. This has proven to be the case as I’m very happy with how the Endeavour sails. The split rig, something I had to get used to, provides very effective sail plans particularly in heavy weather. Good luck in your search. Cheers
sea1ljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 12:53   #7

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

With an I measurement of 50 feet on the Irwin 44 (according to sailboat data), I would consider clearances where you will go, and where you will come home.
Bestathook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, Irwin