Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2015, 03:10   #46

Re: Interesting 'bluewater' test !! RTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

You think it is all that much fun to sail solo, for months, in a 32 or 36 footer, long keel, no amenities, round the 3 capes???

[...]

This is not going to be another ARC.

b.
Spot on Barnakiel !!!
Claude_Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 03:51   #47

Boat: Bristol 27

Sailing solo definitely does freak out a lot of folks be it sailing Round the World or Round the Bay.

It takes a certain type.

That individual has to be strong enough to assume all responsibility. If you screw up, there's no one else to blame.

On top of that, you have to be a racer, repairman/technician, and navigator while also having a love of history and the sea.

The race will be enjoyable for some of us to monitor.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 05:04   #48

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

One skipper working on his provisioning list finally decided that 1 bottle of wine per crewman per enough should be enough.
you mean a bottle/day? That's not bad!
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 05:24   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

The race will be enjoyable for some of us to monitor.
I believe it can be quite dangerous.

Not very different in risks to what it was the Jester challenge taking into account that the Jester was just an Atlantic crossing on the right time of the year on benign conditions. This one is raced on slightly bigger boats but implies to sail the Horn, to pass Cape Good Hope and to sail on high latitudes. An altogether different sea and wind conditions would be encountered.

On the last Jester Challenge (2010) entered 23 sailingboats, only 10 finished the race.

Regarding the Original Golden Globe race it is worth to mention that it was at the time a very controversial race due to the dangers that involved. From the 9 boats that started the race only one finished, one boat sunk and one sailor committed suicide.
Old 24-04-2015, 06:11   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I believe it can be quite dangerous.

Not very different in risks to what it was the Jester challenge taking into account that the Jester was just an Atlantic crossing on the right time of the year on benign conditions. This one is raced on slightly bigger boats but implies to sail the Horn, to pass Cape Good Hope and to sail on high latitudes. An altogether different sea and wind conditions would be encountered.

On the last Jester Challenge (2010) entered 23 sailingboats, only 10 finished the race.

Regarding the Original Golden Globe race it is worth to mention that it was at the time a very controversial race due to the dangers that involved. From the 9 boats that started the race only one finished, one boat sunk and one sailor committed suicide.
It will definitely be dangerous but I'm thinking each of the 20 boats will have a tracking device of some sort attached which will be sending out constant positional updates. These can then be monitored by the race committee as well as 1,000's of spectators.

Hopefully, the sailors will have something similar attached to their PFD (or person) in case they get separated from their boat.

Whereas your average solo cruising sailor may not have such support.
Old 24-04-2015, 06:56   #51

Going overboard in the wrong situation though could end badly regardless.

Even during a Winter afternoon two boat solo race here, if you go overboard during a split tack situation with the water temp in the low 40's you could be in major trouble even though you can see land.
Old 24-04-2015, 07:12   #52

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Where did you get the idea that I thought it would be fun?

I said it would be worth the 10K to be involved ..........as in to be in the race.
+1!

Any day racing is better than a day cruising!

;-)

Or something like that.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 14:43   #53

Quote:
you mean a bottle/day? That's not bad!
Might be a good time to switch over to Marijuana. Load up with as much alcohol as you can store then add a few pounds of weed.
Old 24-04-2015, 15:32   #54

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Boaty already said he would do it if we got him a boat. That is what should be discussed. there are ways that we could make that happen. Lets kick that around.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 17:12   #55

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Boaty already said he would do it if we got him a boat. That is what should be discussed. there are ways that we could make that happen. Lets kick that around.

I'm thinking he might have made the statement in jest. RTW non-stop is one hell of a commitment.

Not just in time and money.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 24-04-2015, 17:47   #56

Quote:
Might be a good time to switch over to Marijuana. Load up with as much alcohol as you can store then add a few pounds of weed.
You are an expert in Marijuana? Never liked the stuff. We are talking about wine not a high alcohol content booze that you are talking about and that it seems you like to mix with Marijuana.

Wine is a completely different subject, good for the cholesterol and around here it is part of our culture. I was kidding regarding 1L a day but I drink wine at all meals. On my boat I have always wine, maybe about 5 to 20 bottles depending on occasions. Off course here at home I have some hundreds of bottles.
Old 25-04-2015, 04:13   #57

[QUOTE=Polux;1809313]You are an expert in Marijuana? Never liked the stuff. We are talking about wine not a high alcohol content booze that you are talking about and that it seems you like to mix with Marijuana.
QUOTE]

Expert? No.

It's my retirement plan!

Marijuana has been proven to shrink cancer cells. It's much better for you than alcohol period.

I don't drink wine or high alcohol content booze. It would destroy my exercise routine.

I will investigate the use of marijuana though in retirement especially if it becomes legal where I am located.

It could be easily stored on a solo RTW sailboat though and would be much more practical than any type of alcohol.

As far as cholesterol, if folks would exercise that wouldn't be a problem. In fact, exercise and a healthy diet should be part of every sailors daily routine.

That exercise routine should at least include pull ups. You never can tell when you will have to pull yourself back into the boat or have to climb the mast.........this is especially true for solo sailors.
Old 25-04-2015, 04:52   #58

Quote:

Expert? No.

It's my retirement plan!

Marijuana has been proven to shrink cancer cells. It's much better for you than alcohol period.

I don't drink wine or high alcohol content booze. It would destroy my exercise routine.

I will investigate the use of marijuana though in retirement especially if it becomes legal where I am located.

It could be easily stored on a solo RTW sailboat though and would be much more practical than any type of alcohol.

As far as cholesterol, if folks would exercise that wouldn't be a problem. In fact, exercise and a healthy diet should be part of every sailors daily routine.

That exercise routine should at least include pull ups. You never can tell when you will have to pull yourself back into the boat or have to climb the mast.........this is especially true for solo sailors.

Sometimes we misjudge people, I thought you were being rude when it seems you really mean it

I am over 60 so I got all that hippie period and marijuana thing but we never really went for light drugs and our social group always preferred wine. I guess that our cultural routes get the better of it

Regarding the moderate consumption of wine it has been proved that it is beneficial to health. Some years back on the EC they made a large study to try to understand why on the South of Europe there was less cardiovascular problems than on the North of Europe and the answer was surprising: wine, not any alcohol but wine.

Regarding Marijuana I have nothing against but I don't like it since it seems to cloud my brain and I hate that. Besides with the Marijuana you get intoxicated fast while with wine it is very slow (and tasty) and the process is what is interesting not an end in itself.

Even if I had been sometimes at party times very "happy" due to a high consumption of wine never been "wasted" in my entire life. Part of the cultural thing is to learn how to drink and never took more than one can take without making a fool out of himself. That is also part of the culture: one that gets drunk is looked by the others as a fool.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265635.php

Regarding being a cultural thing, well my grand mother made wine, I was plunged, according tradition on the "mosto" as an infant to grow healthy and strong, used to help to make wine every year stepping over the grapes.

But most of all I drink it not for the health effects (that's a nice bonus) but because, if well chosen, it can better any meal and make my day a nicer one
Old 25-04-2015, 05:57   #59

Quote:
Sometimes we misjudge people, I thought you were being rude when it seems you really mean it
Sure I mean it, but at the same time, I'm not talking about getting stoned or anything like that. Just a slight buzz maybe from time to time when the beer runs out.

Can you imagine the long days that would have to be endured on a RTW nonstop cruise/race. They wouldn't all be stormy and rough.

I think besides tons of books to read for fun I might have to bring along some math books say Algebra up through Calculus. Just to keep my brain busy.

Also, you would quickly be able to tell if you were doing too much drug of any sort if your brain had trouble with the math.

Btw, will there be some sort of resupply scheduled for these guys?
Old 25-04-2015, 06:41   #60
CLOD

Boat: none

A plan to battle pot brain with math while sailing non stop around the world on a old boat design.

Just checking if I understand the thread or/and whether I need more pot or math.

Tags
water