Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2015, 07:40   #31

Re: Interesting 'bluewater' test !! RTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I haven't looked, but it sounds to me to be similar to a classic car race, where they race old cars. Wouldn't make sense to race a modern car with them, the old cars wouldn't stand a chance, and I think a large part is to try to experience what it must have been like "back in the day"
Correct, but FIA/IAF rules apply, modern roll cage, FIA driver seat with matching belts, modern gas tank, fire extinguisher, fire proof suit, FIA approved helmet.

Should I compare with mountainering, it would be like asking young climbers to climb Mt Everest with the same gear (ropes and leather boots) used by Sir Edmund Hillary.
Something I would regard downright stupid and dangerous.

That said, I am not against this race provided boats entering it would meet modern IMOCA safety standards, for instance : buoyancy, water tight compartments, transom emergency escape hatch...etc.
Otherwise, this race is a major step backward safety wise.
Down the line skippers put their life at risk.
Very unsure the global image of yachting would not suffer, should an accident occur...
Claude_Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 11:17   #32

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If CF can sponser/raise a Cheoy Lee 36 for me to enter I'll be your Hero..

I like this boat.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 11:49   #33

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_Marie View Post
Naah, paleontologists !
Likely to be most booooring "race".
Of course, it won't be boring or no more so than any slow race featuring monohull sailboats.

The Maxi Cats were averaging around 450nmi per day as an example. Grant Dalton's boat actually set a record at something over 600nmi in one day.

These guys though will be singlehanding older, well built, cruising sailboats nonstop rtw.

The boats are very similar to what many cruising sailors use which I'm thinking will generate even more interest from the average cruising sailor and small monohull racer as well.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 11:55   #34

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I like this boat.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1298

One of Luder's. I like his designs.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 23-04-2015, 11:59   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The boats are very similar to what many cruising sailors use which I'm thinking will generate even more interest from the average cruising sailor and small monohull racer as well.
I believe so, to me the modern race boats are interesting I guess, but bear about as much resemblance to a cruising boat as a modern "stock" car does to what we drive to work everyday. Surely they will allow / require safety gear, to not would be foolish.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 11:59   #36

Quote:

The Maxi Cats were averaging around 450nmi per day as an example. Grant Dalton's boat actually set a record at something over 600nmi in one day.

Er, er...
Pascal Bidégorry
Banque Populaire V
08-01-2009
908 NM/24h
Average speed : 37,84 knots

These guys will be racing having in mind at minimum get their money back or a hefty amount of £££
Racing = pushing your luck quite a bit.
Very different from cruising.
Claude_Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 12:08   #37

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If CF can sponser/raise a Cheoy Lee 36 for me to enter I'll be your Hero..

I sold one a few years ago, I would have gladly donated it to this cause.

I bet the guy would loan it out for the trip if, say, someone funded the refit/repower and he got it back, ready to sail again.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-04-2015, 12:13   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_Marie View Post
Er, er...
Pascal Bidégorry
Banque Populaire V
08-01-2009
908 NM/24h
Average speed : 37,84 knots

These guys will be racing having in mind at minimum get their money back or a hefty amount of £££
I forgot I had to give complete details or someone might say something. Dalton set that record during that particular race which was I believe in 2000. Besides, I was simply giving an example of a fast racing sailboat.

I thought I read that it was around a $10,000 or so entry fee. I'm doubting they would be worrying to much about that with all the other things they would have on their mind. It's worth the $10,000 just to be involved.

The real worry will be with the prep, the boat, sails, etc.

Also, for the entrants that are truly racers, it's all about the win. Nothing else matters.
Old 23-04-2015, 12:20   #39

Quote:
Approval for Production yacht types for entry into the Golden Globe Race will be at the sole discretion of the Race Organisers. They must be:

• Of fibre reinforced plastic construction.
• Designed prior to 1988 and have a minimum series of 20 yachts built from one builder.
• Have a hull length of between 32ft and 36ft. Bowsprits, wind vanes and outboard rudders, boomkins, pushpits and pulpits are not measured.
• Have full-length keels with rudders attached to the trailing edge.
• A minimum design displacement is 6,200kg.

Not a bad idea in principle, but what a very silly set of rules, which discount some of the very best 'bluewater' boats out there. Limited to GRP? What!? So, for example, no Joshua, which was proven to be by far the most suitable boat for the original Golden Globe. Or, for the matter, no Suhaili! Or any number of other excellent boats. And, so it would seem, no AIS, which really is a very foolish omission in this day and age for a singlehander.

Would I want to do a modern Golden Globe, in vessels in the spirit of the original and without the benefit of some modern technology? Oh, you bet I would. It's a thought I have had in the back of my mind for some time. But I would damn well do it on my terms, and wouldn't want someone else dictating what is or isn't safe on my boat, what type of boat is safe, or even - ha! - what safety equipment I have to leave on shore. I think he will find the type of sailor who wants to do his race is fiercely independent, and won't like being forced to undertake the 'race' as someone else sees it one bit. If he wants this to work, a more laissez-faire approach is called for. No routine use of GPS and satcomms? Perhaps. That would be quite fun. But as for everything else, let people apply for entry and then have a committee decide if they are safe, or in the 'spirit' of the race.

Forcing people to potentially buy a new boat for the race (as the narrow 'rules' stand at the moment) is nothing but silly. If there is one lesson the original Golden Globe taught us, is is that the people who enter in the boats they happened to have at the time, but had experience sailing in, are the ones who make it round safely.

My bet is that this either changes very much in its direction, or dies a death.
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 12:27   #40

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Of course, it won't be boring or no more so than any slow race featuring monohull sailboats.
Do you think many cruising sailboats used for cruising today are 40 year old designed sailboats? Full keel sailboats? Maybe on US, but that is changing quickly and more don't have more modern boats because they are more expensive, not because they would not prefer them.

Small monohull sailboats racing on a circumnavigation don't have to be slow or boring:

https://vimeo.com/29512019
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 12:57   #41

There are still lots of folks cruising on older full keel sailboats.

Like I said before, it won't be boring to follow no more so than any other slow monohull sailboat race.

Also, racing is all relative to your competion anyway.

I raced sailboats for years that topped out at speeds in the low 20's but all the boats could hit that speed. When a world class sailor showed up at one of the races however, his boat which was the same as the rest (before tuneup etc) separated itself from the pack! It ain't about the boat.

Racing monohulls (or any other boat) that sails around the same speed can be just as exciting.

It all comes down to the sailor usually if the boats are evenly matched. Of course, in a Round the World Race some luck helps also.
Old 23-04-2015, 13:06   #42

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Minimum 32 feet? Those are huge yachts. I'm out. :^)

goat

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 14:02   #43

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

It's worth the $10,000 just to be involved.

For some.

For others, they would not go, unless they GET paid. And way more than 10k.

You think it is all that much fun to sail solo, for months, in a 32 or 36 footer, long keel, no amenities, round the 3 capes???

Then look at KJ's boat when they arrived. Then think again.

This is not going to be another ARC.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 15:25   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
You think it is all that much fun to sail solo, for months, in a 32 or 36 footer, long keel, no amenities, round the 3 capes???
Where did you get the idea that I thought it would be fun?

I said it would be worth the 10K to be involved ..........as in to be in the race.
Old 24-04-2015, 02:41   #45

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Dockhead should collaborate on the Gin tank install
This would obviously be the most crucial element of mounting the challenge. CAn the boat tank enough gin?

I recall reading about one of the first whitbread round the world races - back when the racers were gentlemen of liesure using their own yachts.

One skipper working on his provisioning list finally decided that 1 bottle of wine per crewman per enough should be enough.

Different breed back then

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water