Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2016, 07:29   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Insulating

2 quick questions about insulating a boat.

1. Will insulating help it keep cooler in the warm climates.
2. if you use blow in insulation... how to you insure you will have decent access to your wires, plumbing, etc?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 07:43   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Insulating

You may want to read this article.

Controlling condensation belowdecks - Ocean Navigator - November/December 2010
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 07:58   #3

Blown in insulation is generally cellulose and has no business inside a boat.

It absorbs moisture, releases moisture, makes a mess and you'll never be able to get access. IOW, don't use it. The chemicals needed to make it stick, resist mold also means lousy air quality inside a boat.

If you're worried about heat in a warm climate, you don't want to insulate the hull. Ventilate well, avoid turning the cabin into a greenhouse by reducing solar gain.
Old 13-11-2016, 08:14   #4

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Insulation of the hull has benefits in both warm and chilly climes. If the hull is a composite sandwich then additional insulation will have minimal benefit as it is already insulated. A wood planked boat is sufficiently insulated by the reduced heat transfer of the wood.

Non-composite fiberglass hulls have a low R value and therefor transfer heat efficiently making the interior too hot or cool and damp depending on climate.

If you are running AC in tropical climates insulation will help to maintain a cooler interior and require less energy to keep it cool.

In cold water, insulation will significantly reduce the amount of condensation on the interior hull surfaces.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 09:02   #5

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Blown in insulation is generally cellulose and has no business inside a boat.

It absorbs moisture, releases moisture, makes a mess and you'll never be able to get access. IOW, don't use it. The chemicals needed to make it stick, resist mold also means lousy air quality inside a boat.

If you're worried about heat in a warm climate, you don't want to insulate the hull. Ventilate well, avoid turning the cabin into a greenhouse by reducing solar gain.

Destiny, I agree that "cellulose" insulation has no place on a boat. However, in the marine world, people often refer to foam insulation that is shot from a gun as "blown in insulation".

Blown in FOAM insulation is fantastic except for one little problem - fire.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 09:22   #6

Interesting - ive only heard of foam as sprayed on and not blown in...

Agree that closed cell foam is good stuff - but I'll opt for panel cut to shape over sprayed on. Gassed material flames more readily, creates a permanent vapor barrier between hull and air (not good inside imo) and gets in the way of conduits andinspection .
Old 13-11-2016, 10:30   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

My boat, which spend much of it's life in Nova Scotia, has what appears to be ensolite foam sheets glued to the interior hull from the cabin sole up to the gunwale. It appears to have been installed at the factory.

Evans boat which I was on a couple of years ago when it was for sale at the boat show, was foamed, even the underside of the deck. I would bet he researched the hell out of it before choosing a method.

And yes, insulation will keep a boat cooler when it's hot outside. It slows thermal transfer both ways.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 10:50   #8

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Interesting - ive only heard of foam as sprayed on and not blown in...

Agree that closed cell foam is good stuff - but I'll opt for panel cut to shape over sprayed on. Gassed material flames more readily, creates a permanent vapor barrier between hull and air (not good inside imo) and gets in the way of conduits andinspection .
I'm as guilty as anyone for saying "blown" instead of "sprayed". I'll try and change my ways........

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 11:17   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Unless you are going to run air conditioning 24/7, insulation is really not necessary IF you keep the sun off the boat combined with good ventilation to get the air moving below. Also staying out of marinas where you get no airflow is a must. In the tropics you'll typically have a breeze that makes life bearable out of the sun. Even though it's warm and humid, conditions are a lot more livable than a summer in the midwest or south.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 11:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Unless you are going to run air conditioning 24/7, insulation is really not necessary IF you keep the sun off the boat combined with good ventilation to get the air moving below. Also staying out of marinas where you get no airflow is a must. In the tropics you'll typically have a breeze that makes life bearable out of the sun. Even though it's warm and humid, conditions are a lot more livable than a summer in the midwest or south.
Have you been below deck in the tropics? I'll take the Midwest any day.
Old 13-11-2016, 12:33   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Have you been below deck in the tropics? I'll take the Midwest any day.
Yes, a year in FP and 40 years in Hawaii. Grew up in Michigan and nothing is as miserable as 85+ temps and humidity to match and no breeze in the midwest. It's practically 85 degrees here everyday and it's livable in the shade. Put up an awning even in the marina and it's comfortable.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 14:01   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, scarlet,

You've got a 22 ft. daysailer. OK. Go the awning route, I think it will make it cool enough for you, the shade is a wonderful thing. There's almost always some breeze on the water.

If you overnight on the boat, you might want to have a battery powered fan to blow air over you while you sleep.

I do not think you would really benefit from insulating the boat. It would slow down the heat or cold transfer, but it doesn't stop it. I don't think it will eliiminate condensation in winter, either. Cut down on it, yes, but it's a lot of closed cell foam, and it really has to be kept under control when it's in the expanding part of its cycle, can make a fearsome mess.
Ann
Old 14-11-2016, 05:11   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
It's practically 85 degrees here everyday and it's livable in the shade. Put up an awning even in the marina and it's comfortable.
Agree totally. My point is that below deck in the tropics is miserable.