Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 20:12   #1

Boat: Balboa 20
Installing a Bimini Top on a 20 Foot Sailboat

So I have been thinking about trying to add a bemini top to my balboa 20. I found a bemini that has these dimensions:

DIMENSIONS:Length: 6' ft; Height: 46" inches; Width: 73" - 78" inches
Amazon.com : 6' Ft 600 Hd 3 Bow Grey Bimini Boat Top Cover Includes All Hardware : Bimini Tops For Boats : Sports & Outdoors

I guess it can be mounted 73-78 inches wide which im not sure about what my boat is at the moment. I am more worried about height. My boom sits right above my head when im sitting so im curious if i can make this work somehow. anyone have any experience mounting one of these on a similar sized boat? I would need it to sit below my boom when opened up and they say the height is 46 inches
bigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 18:05   #2

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat
Re: Installing a Bimini Top on a 20 Foot Sailboat

These inexpensive biminis have aluminum bows with the upright supports telescoped into them, and it's fairly easy to cut down the uprights a few inches if necessary.

The bottoms of the uprights have pressed-on plastic fittings, so -- if you cut them down at the bottom -- you'll have to replace the fittings with ones that have setscrews. If you cut them down at the tops of the uprights, you'll lose a spring-button release that makes it easy to disassemble the uprights from the bows. If you plan to leave the bimini permanently installed, that is no big deal.

I have one for my catboat that I cut down because of the cat's low boom. I remove and stow mine when not in use, though.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:54   #3
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I sailed an aquarius 23 for some time, my first sailboat. Its the next larger boat made by coastal recreation. If i remember right the mainsheet kept the bimini pretty small. These are crawl around boats anyway. As long as you can sit upright it should be alright. The boom will likely ride higher when sailing. Get on an upwind tack and see where the boom actually rides when close hauled. You may have more room than you think. i I bought a slightly shorter main when I replaced It go gain some cockpit headroom. The boom rode in the mast slot and could be raised without messing with moving a gooseneck.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:29   #4

Boat: Hunter 27

Keep us posted on how it works. I have wondered the same. I have thought about trying to cut one down for my boat

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 18:12   #5

I own a Balboa 20 myself, and until I relooked at photos, I never thought a bimini top was possible. I'll be darned if it is -- depending on your mainsheet rig, and whether you have a boom vang.

That said, my only fear about having a bimini top up -- while under sail -- would be that I wouldn't be able to easily see the shape of my mainsail. If noting is in the way in terms of rigging and the boom, I say go for it.

You might need a hacksaw to lower the overall height, but that's easy to solve.

Kyle
kylemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 19:07   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Wear a broad brimmed hat instead; don't ruin your boat's lines. I'm not being sarcastic, but I would not think a flimsy bimini would answer the need, and I do think it might be a lot in the way. If you ever fly a spinnaker, would the sheets and guys interfere with the placement of the "baby buggy" bits? Would you get shade where you need it and it still be clear of the main sheet?

Good luck with it.

Ann

Tags
sail, sailboat