Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2015, 18:10   #16

Re: input on minimum bunk size for cruising couple?

For the minute it takes to convert back to the daytime configuration the berth flats are a little unweildly but after a couple times I figured out how to do it fairly gracefully by tipping one up and resting it on it's side while maneuvering the other so there is no heavy lifting involved.

Because the athwartship berth is not as wide as the underlying settle is long we end up with a nice little nightstand on either side at the head of the bed. The pads we sleep on are the settee cushions themselves. Bedding gets shoved in a cubby outboard of the settee during the day. We don't have any seat back cushions for the settees but instead have a bunch of throw pillows.

The holes in the plywood do a pretty good job of ameliorating condensation issues in the wintertime. I use lose pin hinges to attach berth flats to the settees along the outboard edge to keep them from going astray when underway and they can be canted on the windward side much like a pipe berth with a pair of short sheets eliminating the need for lee cloths.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 18:27   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
For the minute it takes to convert back to the daytime configuration the berth flats are a little unweildly but after a couple times I figured out how to do it fairly gracefully by tipping one up and resting it on it's side while maneuvering the other so there is no heavy lifting involved.

Because the athwartship berth is not as wide as the underlying settle is long we end up with a nice little nightstand on either side at the head of the bed. The pads we sleep on are the settee cushions themselves. Bedding gets shoved in a cubby outboard of the settee during the day. We don't have any seat back cushions for the settees but instead have a bunch of throw pillows.

The holes in the plywood do a pretty good job of ameliorating condensation issues in the wintertime. I use lose pin hinges to attach berth flats to the settees along the outboard edge to keep them from going astray and they can be canted on the windward side much like a pipe berth when underway with a pair of short sheets eliminating the need for lee cloths.
thanks I might try a temp set up to see how it works for me. not sure Ihave enough room from the mast back to the galley, that may limit my available width. you dont have any issue with boat motion sleeping athwartship? I have read that is the least comfortable orientation.

thanks
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 18:31   #18

Personally I think sleeping athwartship underway is absolutely horrible. In a marina or at anchor it's fine. Suppose it depends on the anchorage.

Not sure if this is your interior layout. Unfortunate about the mast but it looks like you might be able to make something work. I am big on mock-ups and did one myself.

Maybe you could make a pair of berth flats that fit the quarter berth that you pull out and fit across the settees since it looks like your settees are not equidistant and you otherwise might not have the length required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	111349  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 18:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Personally I think sleeping athwartship underway is absolutely horrible. In a marina or at anchor it's fine. Suppose it depends on the anchorage.
ok, thank guess I will have to try it a few night and see how I like it
Old 21-10-2015, 08:06   #20

Boat: Outbound 46

LOL. My mom and her three sisters shared a 48" wide bed growing up, all through their teens. It's all about what you are used to.

We have a pretty generous pullman-style berth on Callisto. I sleep on the outside, and it took me a while to get used to clambering over my wife when I needed to use the head during the night (at least twice these days, curse my prostate). But you DO get used to whatever is needed.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 08:44   #21

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

We need way more space in the tropics, "eek you're touching me," as opposed to the high latitudes, "uumm you're touching me."

We seldom use the salon table for anything other than a bunk.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 08:51   #22

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

seasick...very good point. There is a person that has been there and done that.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 09:05   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post

We seldom use the salon table for anything other than a bunk.
on a 43 footer that might be ok. I dont have that luxury on a 30 footer

good point on tropics vs high lats
Old 21-10-2015, 09:10   #24

The real question is how large is the couple.

Keep in mind if you are in a marina, port to starboard can get a little obvous if you get frisky. Bow to stern not so much.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 09:53   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm sail View Post
would like to hear some real world input on how big a bunk is needed for a cruising couple. currently the main bunk area is the V berth. the size is adequate but the head room is horrible. I am thinking of expanding/modifying the salon settee birth to acomadate a couple regularly. it is currently a rectangle and is long enough. I can make it a bit wider with a slide out type thing but am limited by the keel stepped mast. I can expand it more towards the hull but will end up with a truncated right triangle shape. obviously the wider end for the head and shoulders with less space for feet and leggs. not to different than a V birth.

what do you think is needed minimal width at the shoulders and feet would be for regular use as primary bunk for extended cruising couple.

this is a 30 footer so a minimalist mindset is already in place

thanks for your thoughts and experience
Depends on your age.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 19:28   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Time for some levity. Lots of help above and easy to search images on line - especially Yachtworld.

We saw these visiting on the East Coast. saves lots of space.
Try this. https://www.google.com/search?q=uss+...FQeLDQodw04KQg

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 12:48   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Time for some levity. Lots of help above and easy to search images on line - especially Yachtworld.

We saw these visiting on the East Coast. saves lots of space.
Try this. https://www.google.com/search?q=uss+...FQeLDQodw04KQg

I would love to get some good quality ships sleeping hammocks, not sure I could fit them though. last time I checked the constitution was a bit over 30'

but with the feed back I see here, maybe there is hope to not end up a lonely old sailor
Old 22-10-2015, 17:51   #28

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
...lay down together on a bed and put a board blocking at various widths and move a round a bit and see what you can live with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm sail View Post
...it is one thing to "mock up" a narrow bunk at home and think this will do. it is another thing entirely to cruise like that for months...
You were a bit hasty in blowing off this suggestion, which is a practical way for you to discover the precise answer to your question, regardless of what a bunch of total strangers think you should have.

Regarding the 48" you say would be easy to achieve, that's a bit too tight for comfort for two people--double beds are 54" wide. But you might be able to open up the berth on the outboard edge, making a wider, tapered bunk.

A common error built into many V-berths is that the narrow end is often higher than the wide end. It is generally most uncomfortable to sleep with your feet higher than your head.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 18:59   #29
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I figure I'm the same size cruising that I am at home, why would it be less. In fact, in the heat, you need more room, not less, for air circulation.

Queen minimum. I'd like to see more kings.
Old 22-10-2015, 19:24   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
You were a bit hasty in blowing off this suggestion, which is a practical way for you to discover the precise answer to your question, regardless of what a bunch of total strangers think you should have.

Regarding the 48" you say would be easy to achieve, that's a bit too tight for comfort for two people--double beds are 54" wide. But you might be able to open up the berth on the outboard edge, making a wider, tapered bunk.

A common error built into many V-berths is that the narrow end is often higher than the wide end. It is generally most uncomfortable to sleep with your feet higher than your head.
I wasnt hasty at all. I asked a question of people with experience about what worked for them in the long haul. not what fits at the moment. I have slept 2 up, in bags while hiking and have a pretty good idea of what fits and works in the short term. since Iam the op iI think I know what I was asking about and that wasnt it. and what on earth does a lopsided vberth have to do with my question.

thank you to those of you that have shared your experience regarding bunk width I will be ex ppl loring the possibility the next time I get aboard

Tags
cruising, size