Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 20:31   #1

Boat: North River Osprey 19' & 21' Willies driftboat
Ingrid 38 VS Westsail 32

Hello all of you salty dogs! I have seen the light and it is as the skipper of a blow boat.

I have seen the Ingrid 38 and the Wetsail 32 compaired to each other, and though they have some similar lines and a heavy displacement, are they really similar? It seems the Wetsail is more of a cookie cutter boat. (I must say that I may be completely off base, and do not intend to offend) I like the idea of the Ingrid as a ketch instead of a sloop. In light airs is the ketch or the sloop more efficent? Can the wetsail be found rigged as a ketch? It would seem that if the sail plan is spread around a bit, it would be easier for one person to trim and balance, is that true? Or is the addition of another mast and more rigging just more cost and maintainance?

In all I am looking for a stable boat with classic lines. One that would be comfortable for a couple on an extended cruise, and turns heads wherever it goes. I am not vain, but I want my boat to be the prettiest thing in the marina. I prefer wood, but end up romantisizing about the boats instead of weighing it's pros and cons.

Thank you all,

Adam
Aww7979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 20:48   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Ingrid 38 VS Wetsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aww7979 View Post
Hello all of you salty dogs! I have seen the light and it is as the skipper of a blow boat.

I have seen the Ingrid 38 and the Wetsail 32 compaired to each other, and though they have some similar lines and a heavy displacement, are they really similar? It seems the Wetsail is more of a cookie cutter boat. (I must say that I may be completely off base, and do not intend to offend) I like the idea of the Ingrid as a ketch instead of a sloop. In light airs is the ketch or the sloop more efficent? Can the wetsail be found rigged as a ketch? It would seem that if the sail plan is spread around a bit, it would be easier for one person to trim and balance, is that true? Or is the addition of another mast and more rigging just more cost and maintainance?

In all I am looking for a stable boat with classic lines. One that would be comfortable for a couple on an extended cruise, and turns heads wherever it goes. I am not vain, but I want my boat to be the prettiest thing in the marina. I prefer wood, but end up romantisizing about the boats instead of weighing it's pros and cons.

Thank you all,

Adam
IMO the Ingrid is the better looking,more money,better built boat
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 21:25   #3

Boat: Orca 38
Re: Ingrid 38 VS Wetsail 32

Hi Adam and welcome.
I believe the Ingrid's bow is different than the Westsails. Not by much, and I could be wrong. Someone with more knowledge than me can probably answer.

The history on both these craft are out there for the reading and a google search rewards greatly, but I'm sure you already know that.

My Ingrid Orca is rigged as a cutter and sails beautifully. I single handle her a lot and while still practicing (I've owned her about a year now) with reefing, sail configuration etc etc, I can handle her by myself just fine.

She travels fine in light airs but would never be considered fast in that regime, although she does go at half the wind speed right up to ten knots. When the winds pick up she really comes into her own. The hull shape, full keel and heavy displacement on both of these boats produce what I consider to be great rides. Mine points well, but I do see other boats pointing higher than I can achieve, but I'll live with that. I don't see the other boats out pointing at all above 15 knots, so it kinda evens out. I've had mine in 28 knot winds, a single reef in the main, the Staysail up and genoa rolled while going downwind. I turned to port in 3' (?) seas, headed her into the wind, put another reef in, fell off the wind and screamed across Puget Sound at 7 knots and she was rock solid throughout. This is my kinda boat.

I've heard it mentioned that the Westsail and Ingrid's interiors were equivalent size wise and I disagree. Both are small by today's standard beamy, fat bottomed production boats, but the Westsail is definitely more compact than the Ingrid. I wouldn't sail with a family on either one, but a couple or single will find them fine as long as they're not expecting washing machines and recliners.

Anyway, that's just my opinion based on my limited experience with these
boats. It all depends what you want in a boat I guess.
Old 13-01-2012, 05:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Ingrid 38 VS Westsail 32

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Adam.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 23:59   #5

Re: Ingrid 38 VS Westsail 32

I will add my 2 cents worth here. They are both rock solid cruising boats. Both were sometimes amauture built from bare hulls so there can be a significant quality difference among either. The Ingrid interior is much more comfortable. It is almost the same layout as the Westsail, but spread out over 6 foot more. The Ingrid will have better passages due to its longer waterline length and being a little less beamy for its length. A refit or haulout or ongoing maintainance of a 38 footer will be greater, as will moorage. A Westsail will probably handle better under tight conditions simply because it is smaller. In my opinion, the biggest difference between the two is that the Westsail has an awful cockpit ( at least the ones I have been on) and the Ingrid has a conventional cockpit with comfortable backrests. Since so much time cruising is spent in the cockpit I consider that an important factor. If the greater costs of an Ingrid doesnt affect your budget then I would look to it. If like most of us you are on a budget a Westsail will get you to the same places in a little less comfort, but Paradise looks the same from any boat.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote