Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2022, 20:14   #16

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Info on this yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Well, our boat also looks a lot like an overgrown dinghy, too, except our rudder is on a full skeg.

What you're looking at is a custom built boat built for a wealthy patron,

Once one has owned a timber boat, one becomes aware they really are different, they sort of have a "soul",

Ann
Amen for the skeg.
The "custom boat for wealthy patron", is exactly my first thoughts, my context being what L. Francis Herreshoff called his "Ticonderoga", (72' ketch,) "A gentleman's day sailor".
Yes, fiberglass trees have no soul to speak of.
Old 27-05-2022, 21:03   #17

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

If one wants a big boat, with classic looks....?
Here is one built in fibreglass. Maybe not as luxurious as the OP wanted.
https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...pgrades/276470
I know the boat when it was in WA since 1995 Last time I saw it was in 2014 I think, as good looking as in the pictures.
Old 27-05-2022, 21:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
You trying to get me to have a heart attack?
Be still my heart.
Boats like that have a "romance" about them that is sadly lacking in most of todays designs.
A rose in a field of weeds.
Old 27-05-2022, 22:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
You trying to get me to have a heart attack?
Be still my heart.
Boats like that have a "romance" about them that is sadly lacking in most of todays designs.
A rose in a field of weeds.
This boat is likely to be safe from you, you being on the other side of the world.

As most of us know, big boats have big maintenance requirements. But sailing big boats, is oh so sweat. This boat was my 'dreamboat', for many years we were anchored once a year close to each other. And Oram is (?was) a very reputable boat builder in New Zealand. Years ago, I nearly purchased a smaller sibling of this 65 footer.
So, one does not have to click on a link, here is a pic; and no I have no interest in this boat, do not know the current owner or the broker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heritage.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	258495  
Old 27-05-2022, 23:15   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp Nomad View Post
Cheers for the feedback

I would prefer a glass boat
I like the look of the boat and we are chasing one around this size.

This one says it has been epoxy glassed?
I will get in contact with the broker

Hi Jp Nomad, that yacht is quite similar to the older Swan 65 so if you like this and it doesn’t proceed, have a look at one of the Swans. The only comment I’d like to add is that the engine is very unusual in that its a horizontal 6-354 perkins and from the single photo in the ad , it won’t be easy to work on or buy parts for and getting it out to rebuild it looks like a major operation given that only 3 cylinders of 6 are peeping out from under a crossmember. The thing that makes this even more gnarly is that very few similar power ( torque) replacement engines will fit in that space without raising the cabin sole.I replaced one with a Yanmar JH series in a Swan but that machinery space was not as tight as it is in the boat you’re considering at the moment. If it’s already/recently had a major overhaul, ignore my post.
Pete.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 01:25   #21

Boat: Beaufort 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Here is one built in fibreglass. Maybe not as luxurious as the OP wanted.
https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...pgrades/276470
I know the boat when it was in WA since 1995 Last time I saw it was in 2014 I think, as good looking as in the pictures.
Thx Hank on the water I saw this one also but it does not look as roomy?
Jp Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 01:28   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Hi Jp Nomad, that yacht is quite similar to the older Swan 65 so if you like this and it doesn’t proceed, have a look at one of the Swans. The only comment I’d like to add is that the engine is very unusual in that its a horizontal 6-354 perkins and from the single photo in the ad , it won’t be easy to work on or buy parts for and getting it out to rebuild it looks like a major operation given that only 3 cylinders of 6 are peeping out from under a crossmember. The thing that makes this even more gnarly is that very few similar power ( torque) replacement engines will fit in that space without raising the cabin sole.I replaced one with a Yanmar JH series in a Swan but that machinery space was not as tight as it is in the boat you’re considering at the moment. If it’s already/recently had a major overhaul, ignore my post.
Pete.
Thx for the reply I will have alook at the swans
Yes it is not the easiest to get to but it is not as bad as it looks in that photo
I have worked on a lot worse ��
Old 28-05-2022, 01:38   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
If the hull is really got pimples, that is very odd for the type of construction, and I would really want to know what on earth was going on there. Modern composite construction is fine, doesn't worry me, generally-- we have a somewhat similar construction ourselves, except ours is strip planked rather than three diagonal. However, when the broker's ad advises timber skills, that is a real warning. It is easy to give a boat a fresh paint job for 25,000 AUD, and then try and sell it for 200k. You'd be buying some cans of paint, in a way.

It needs a survey by someone who really knows timber constructed boats, or I wouldn't touch it. It does have an interesting history, so I would think the original construction was excellent. But, and it's a big but, it was a long time ago, and it needs only one owner to have not added stuff right, and you could have major problems.

If you really want to buy her, be willing to be taught how to do things (for which you may have to pay), and to spend a lot of time on maintenance. It is beautiful, and spacious, with plenty of room for four, and as the person just before me wrote, it is not a boat for a newbie. She'll be a handful, berthing will be dear (one pays by the foot or the meter) and she may be difficult to insure. Most marinas in Australia require you to have insurance before they will be content to haul you out.

Ann

PS. All you really need for a circumnavigation is charts, a depth sounder and a VHF, friends of ours did it; but they also had some years of seamanship before they took off. Personally, I'd add GPS capability and AIS. Radar, too.
Thx Ann

I will be getting a survey if this eventuates.

When you say it would be handful what do you mean?

A little background on myself I am a shipwright and commercial skipper of 20+yrs experience boats this size do not worry me

Although most of my time is on stink boats so the sailing side does scare me abit?

How hard do you think the sailing side will be

Thx
Tobi
Old 28-05-2022, 03:52   #24

[QUOTE=Jp Nomad;3630250]Thx Hank on the water I saw this one also but it does not look as roomy?[/QUOTE

You're right, fairly small for a 65 footer; low freeboard, fairly narrow design restricts interior space. Possibly a modern 50 ft boat has as much interior space as this 65 footer.
Old 28-05-2022, 07:36   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp Nomad View Post
Thx Hank on the water I saw this one also but it does not look as roomy?
The link that was given for that Herreshoff Bounty was misleading.
The "Bounty" is a 57/58' boat, if you include the bowsprit then it is ~65'
Anyway, yes, for their length they are not as voluminous as a more modern design, but carry themselves with a greater measure of grace than the more rotund boats.
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/200...ounty-7891991/
Old 30-05-2022, 13:59   #26

My cell phone dosen't all me to click on the link. I'm I understanding that this boat is 70 feet. Unless you have a full crew, 8+, it would be a bad choice. No one needs a 70 foot boat
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 14:59   #27

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

It's a beautiful boat, though I didn't care for the interior decor. Is this your first boat? I would echo the comment about engine access. On a 65' boat you'd think there'd be enough room for good engine access. And, it's true, everything is big and heavy on a boat that size. Plan on having crew. I crewed on a 65' boat. The sails were definitely heavier than my little boat.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 15:27   #28

I recently purchased a 1992 steel yacht 57foot Paroo that was very well built, been around the world twice.
Have done a lot of work my self but also some major items needed dealing with which I didn't pick up when buying.

We have just spent about 4 x my original estimate of 50K on repairs and upgrades.
If you don't have a spare 200K to 300K I would suggest you look elsewhere.

She certainly is a beautiful looking boat, and would probably restore really well but you need the $$$.

regarding handling
My yacht came fitted with electric furlers and hydraulic primary and secondary winches but the sails are pretty heavy to handle without this grunt power. A 60ft plus boat is a lot to handle with minimal crew.

Good Luck
Paroo2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 15:31   #29

Thank Paroo

Yes the unknown are the biggest worry
Old 30-05-2022, 15:48   #30

Location: Port Stephens, NSW, Australia, now circumnavigating Australia since Jan 2022
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42, now Clem Masters 55ft Bridge Deck Cruiser (trawler) since Oct 2020.

A boat of rare beauty, admire it and then move on. Just one aspect; look at the engine photo and think of a routine service in that space; and yet, an easy boat to fall in love with which some will find well worth the effort and will be pleased to own.

Tags
yacht